X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wtc Uss New York

From World Trade Center to Terrorist Fighting Ship: The USS New York

USS New York

It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center.

It is the fifth in a new class of warship - designed for missions that include special operations against terrorists. It will carry a crew of 360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered ashore by helicopters and assault craft.

Steel from the World Trade Center was melted down in a foundry in Amite, LA to cast the ship’s bow section. When it was poured into the molds on Sept. 9, 2003, “those big rough steelworkers treated it with total reverence,” recalled Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing, who was there. “It was a spiritual moment for everybody there.”

Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the trade center steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and the “hair on my neck stood up.” “It had a big meaning to it for all of us,” he said. “They knocked us down. They can’t keep us down. We’re going to be back.”

The ship’s motto? “Never Forget”

Specifications for the USS New York
    Length: 684 ft.

Beam (width): 105 ft. Displacement: Approximately 24,900 long tons full load

Speed: In excess of 22 knots Propulsion: Four sequentially turbocharged marine Colt-Pielstick diesels, two shafts, 41,600 shaft horsepower

Crew: Ship's company: 360, Landing force: As many as 800 Marines.

Target: Terrorists and other enemies of the United States

:flag:

This is fantastic. Why can't this make it on cnn.com's home page? No, they'd rather report on how Al Queda has rebuilt their operations, or how racist we are against Muslim extremists.

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea this even existed until now.
    If a guy doesn't have any gamble in him, he ain't worth a crap - Evel Knievel
    What's done in the dark will be brought to the light -Johnny Cash

Comment

Originally posted by homedawg View Post
      [B][I]

The ship’s motto? “Never Forget”
      I know I'll never forget. That was equal to Pearl Harbour what them bastards did to us. My son is a Marine nigh on one year now and hasn't been sent over yet. But he has survival gened into him. He'll be OK if he ever goes.

Never Forget
      If its fun, do it

Comment

Semper Fidelis I'd go back, anytime! ..

Comment

Originally posted by yomonte View Post
          But he has survival gened into him. He'll be OK if he ever goes.

Never Forget
          best wishes for your son yo!

that survival gene had to have come from the mother right? LOL

all joking aside, I do wish the best for you and yours, and for anyone with loved ones in the service.

I'm not gonna lie, it would take a lot, even the "draft" if it came down to it before someone gets me to fight. but if I am in, no turning back, and would be proud to serve.
          :hide:

"Schooly D is fat cake yo."
          -Big Pimpin-

Comment

Kill em all and let Ala sort em out
            If its fun, do it

Comment

:flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :fire:
              Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

God Bless our troops! :flag:
                "Never Forget" :flag:
                "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Comment

Working...
                X