Firewall help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewall help

Well it's a sad day! We were bought out a while ago and I have taken a position with the new company in our Dublin Oh office. I usually check out predictem over lunch and on down times to see whats going on and to put my picks in. I was down in Dublin on Wed. and was setting up connectivity between the Toledo office and the Dublin office. That's really not the sad part....I know make a long story short......well I had some down time and went to pull up predictem.com and .....****.....access denied! The firewall picked up something so that it knew this was a gambling site. I can go to other forums and sporting sites but this one it decided it was a gambling site....well duh!!!! LMAO!!

Can't use the sites like covermyass.com because they know about those also!!!! :bang:

Probably nothing can be done but figured I'd ask!

Thanks all!
    From one beer lover to another! Strohs Beer!

Lost all control of my record!! It's a new year Let's see if I can do better! :drunk:

To read predictem at work

The best way to read predictem when you are firewalled from it at work, is to use the RSS feeds. I use this feed:

http:<WBR></WBR>/<WBR></WBR>/feeds.feedburner.com<WBR></WBR>/SportsBettingForums-<WBR></WBR>Predictemcom

... which allows me to syndicate the predictem content while I am at work.

Alternativley, you can subscribe in something like Google Reader using this:

http://www.predictem.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2

Which should result in the same thing.

Now, that wont let you post to the forum, but most workplaces will not restrict general tools like google reader, or other similar tools which you can use to your advantage.

Of course, you could buy a laptop and get your own ATT Broadband Connect/Verizon wireless card - or buy an iPhone and use the browser on that. A lot of guys I know in consulting - who work at clients who that have policies that range from "I dont give a fck" to "no internet at all", do that so we can get where we need to go without worrying about some IT monkey's firewall stopping us from doing what we need to do (i.e. hitting remote servers to do maintenance for other clients, or, god forbid, reading forums like this).

Other than that, you can set up a home proxy to gather the content, but that probably is more expensive than buying your own laptop with cell access at this point.
    可你住在有趣的时代 - May you live in interesting times.

Visit wagertracker and participate in free contests and track your picks.

Comment

Thanks Fish!

Thanks Fish! I'll give the RSS feed a try. I may have to see about the new phone!! :beerbang:

Lost all control of my record!! It's a new year Let's see if I can do better! :drunk:

Comment

do you type in www.predictem.com directly into your address bar?

try going to google then search predictem and click the link

Comment

Thought about that!

Yeah FTR thought about that! What ever they're running works very well. I was told it wouldn't allow people on gambling sites but I could still get to sports related sites.:bang:
          What ever they're running works pretty well! :bang:

Thanks though I do appreciate!

Comment

There are ways around it, but I don't want to get you fired for changing settings.

Comment

Thanks FTR!

Thanks FTR but I agree not going to take a chance like that! Sucks though!! I can at least read with the feeds! Now I lost my wireless at home since lightening took it out!! :bang:
              Thought it fried my TV in my pit in the basement but somehow it fixed itself!!! :nuts: LMAO!!

Comment

You could always try to go in through the IP address - sometimes the companies firewalls only do DNS names and not direct IP.

However if its blocked then you probably should not be on the site ;p

Comment

Thanks DJ!

Didn't think about trying the IP. I figure it's my down time and it's not truely a site that I can place a bet. What's really funny, and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put this name in here so if you need to get rid of it Mods go right ahead, is I can pull up covers which I think is kind of a similar web site. :bang:

Comment

Working...
                  X