Baseball, Sons, Laptops & Magic Erasers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball, Sons, Laptops & Magic Erasers

So what do baseball, my son, my laptop, a magic eraser and betting have in common.

Well it is not a good combination.

My daughter was on my laptop on my couch. She gets up to go get a drink. My son (2 years old) decides it would be cool to soak up water with a magic eraser and wring it out on top of my computer (on the keyboard). Of course the laptop is now fried.

So now all of my capping information for NCAAFB and MLB is gone for the last two years (at least), all my tax returns, all my banking information. Sure I backed it up from time to time, but who knows what I have and where it is.

So here is a new use for the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser:

It WILL erase all of your valuable information on your computer.

No MLB plays for me until I buy a new laptop and reconstruct all my capping stuff.

Horfin:thumbs:
    a.d.

2021 NHL: (through 02/24/2021)
    Sides: +17.4 units
    Totals: +0 units
    In Game (Not posted) -0.6 units
    Parlay: -1.8

All 2021 NHL:+14.9 units

ouch! Thats horrible man.
    NBA: About evenish

1 Unit = $50

To the new season :beerbang:

Comment

Originally posted by Horfin View Post
      So what do baseball, my son, my laptop, a magic eraser and betting have in common.

Well it is not a good combination.

My daughter was on my laptop on my couch. She gets up to go get a drink. My son (2 years old) decides it would be cool to soak up water with a magic eraser and wring it out on top of my computer (on the keyboard). Of course the laptop is now fried.

So now all of my capping information for NCAAFB and MLB is gone for the last two years (at least), all my tax returns, all my banking information. Sure I backed it up from time to time, but who knows what I have and where it is.

So here is a new use for the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser:

It WILL erase all of your valuable information on your computer.

No MLB plays for me until I buy a new laptop and reconstruct all my capping stuff.

Horfin:thumbs:
      dude- any chance of sending your kid down to GABP with the Mr Clean Magic Eraser and Erasing that thing they call a baseball team down there.........:puke:

that sucks horfin. kids do the dumbest things. I was hitting golf balls in the front yard of my house in cincy when i was like 5 and for some reason decided it would be a good thing to aim one at the front door. solid contact and next thing you know the ball was rolling around in the front hallway. i remember my dad repeatedly asking my mom...."why would he do that".....

on a side note, can't you take the hard drive from the laptop and rescue it. there are people that do that for a living........i would think that it would still be intact. maybe just the wiring is shorted out. it's not like it erased what was on there. but im no computer expert, nor did i stay at a holiday inn express last night.
      I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

The HDD is not fried! The laptop is still good too!

Lift the hood and dry it out. Look for the main fuse and replace it. clean the entire board with a electrical contact cleaner/dryer. leave it alone for a day or so, to make sure it is totally dry!

Close it up and it should power up for you! :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by homedawg View Post
          The HDD is not fried! The laptop is still good too!

Lift the hood and dry it out. Look for the main fuse and replace it. clean the entire board with a electrical contact cleaner/dryer. leave it alone for a day or so, to make sure it is totally dry!

Close it up and it should power up for you! :thumbs:

:beerbang: ....see i knew it....just didn't stay at a holidayinn express like HD did....by that man a budweiser........................or seven....

Comment

On a side note, you can plug the hdd in any computer that is running the same os. :beer2:

Comment

On a side note, you can plug the hdd in any computer that is running the same os. :beer2:
              how bummed is horfin if he drops 2K on a laptop and then gets it all set up so he can log on and read that he didnt' need to buy a new laptop.....:bang:

Comment

I'm sure he has another computer in the house?

even if it is not a laptop, use 1 of these:

Recover data from old laptop hard drives, or integrate smaller storage into space-limited assemblies with DataPro's no-hassle notebook to desktop hard drive adaptor. This little unit is all you need to connect 2.5-inch laptop hard drives to a standard desktop 40-pin IDE bus.

:beer2:

Comment

I figured there was a way to save it or at least the information. I really need the NCAAFB information. And on a lesser note....I need the IRS and Banking information.

Thanks homedoggie....I'll try it.

Horfin
                  a.d.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                    dude- any chance of sending your kid down to GABP with the Mr Clean Magic Eraser and Erasing that thing they call a baseball team down there.........:puke:

that sucks horfin. kids do the dumbest things. I was hitting golf balls in the front yard of my house in cincy when i was like 5 and for some reason decided it would be a good thing to aim one at the front door. solid contact and next thing you know the ball was rolling around in the front hallway. i remember my dad repeatedly asking my mom...."why would he do that".....
                    #1: I don't think they make a big enough magik eraser for the Reds.

#2: This is the mother's curse: "I hope you get a child that is 10x worse than you." Well I got it. But I think it is 100x.

Horfin
                    a.d.

Comment

HD,

Is there a trick to getting the case off of the computer? I took all the screws out and I really feel like I am going to break it if I do anything else to it. (For the most part it is coming apart, but not completely)

Thanks
                      Horf
                      a.d.

Comment

:eeek: Don't force it!

What Brand & Model do you have?

You should be able to find some help here:

Repair4Laptop: Do-It-Yourself Laptop & Notebook Upgrading, Modding, Repairing

Comment

I stumbled across that site. I have a Gateway M520 which is apparently the same as a Emachinges 2365 (or something like that).

I have dissasmbled it to this point: eMachines Resouce Portal v2.0

Figure 7 is what I am looking at. I see no fuses of any type.

I did send you an email so we can not bg these other people with my computer problems.

Thanks
                          Horf
                          a.d.

Comment

I have never been inside either of those.

That looks like a good site for you to find the necessary information. :thumbs:

I went to the forum and found some threads on the Gateway M520, but you have to sign up to read them, and I have no use for that site.

Here is a post for a complete disassembly:

Gateway M520 - NotebookForums.com

When you get inside, just make sure you are static free! Don't work on it, standing on carpeting, touch the rear connectors while you are touching anything inside the computer.
                            (I wear a metal band on my wrist with a jumper wire with "allegator" clips, connected to the metal band, and any metal bracket on the computer!

The fuse/circuit breaker, may be soldered in, but it is not a big deal to remove soldered in parts. Just go to the backside of the motherboard, with a little soldering iron and heat up the soldered contacts until the solder gets liquid, pulling the part from the opposite side.
                            There are pictures on the net, on how to do that.

The main thing you need to do, is find out where the fuse is. Go to that forum and search or ask, for a schematic or information.

Another thing, look for a "burned area" (discolored) on the motherboard, if the motherboard shorted out between 2 contacts, then you could solder in a "patch" between those 2 contacts.

Did you dry it out? Did you try to turn it on again? Are you able to pull the hdd?

BTW, I did not receive your email.

Comment

When you get inside, just make sure you are static free! Don't work on it, standing on carpeting, touch the rear connectors while you are touching anything inside the computer.
                              (I wear a metal band on my wrist with a jumper wire with "allegator" clips, connected to the metal band, and any metal bracket on the computer!
                              Well **** you kinda scared me with that....What could happen (other than a minor shock) if you touched the inside and the rear connectors?
                              Since I am kinda dumb at this...do you think I would be best served paying someone to fix it? I was just nervous that they would charge me $175 and then say there was nothing they could do.

------------------
                              It has been open and dry for almost 48 hours. I haven't plugged it in again since I disasembled it. I may put it back together and just take it in.

Thanks so much for your time!
                              Horfin
                              a.d.

Comment

Working...
                              X