A's Preview 2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A's Preview 2007

For all you doubters who think Zito & Thomas made the team last year, here's Covers.com prediction for my green & gold...
    Be sure to check out my "Swisher Sweets" this season for my daily A's system pick.

--

Lineup

While A's brass is hoping that Dan Johnson can finally realize his potential and take over at first base, don't be surprised if the A's move Nick Swisher back to first if Johnson struggles like last season. (.234, nine HR, 37 RBI, .323 OBP) There's no doubt that Oakland will miss the Big Hurt's big bat in the middle of the lineup, but expect that to be offset by better seasons from third baseman Eric Chavez (.241, 22 HR, 72 RBI while playing through injuries) and shortstop Bobby Crosby. Swisher has become an All-Star while the addition of Shannon Stewart at the top of the lineup will pay dividends down the stretch. Jason Kendall, Milton Bradley, Mark Kotsay, Mike Piazza and Mark Ellis round out a solid if not spectacular batting order. Grade: B+

Pitching staff

The loss of Barry Zito is a big blow, not so much because of Zito's great numbers, but because of his durability. While ace Rich Harden has the potential to be one of the top starters in the American League, he has yet to prove himself as a big-game arm. Oakland returns solid No. 2 starter Dan Haren, (14-13, 4.12 ERA) while Esteban Loaiza, Joe Blanton and Joe Kennedy round out the rotation. The Athletics' real strength lies in the bullpen, where Huston Street (4-4, 3.31 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 37 SV) anchors proven relievers Justin Duchscherer, Kiko Calero, Alan Embree and Chad Gaudin. If Harden falters and Loaiza tanks, the A's will find themselves regretting playing moneyball with Zito. Grade: A-

Prediction: 90-72 (1st place, AL West)

-DD :beerbang:
    “A goal is a dream with a deadline.”

--

Daddy's Posted Records (Updated on 9.10.07 @ 11:00 PM PST)
    1 Unit = $25

NCAAF >> (3-5-0) -$62.50

NFL >> (4-3-0) +$61.75

2007 FOOTBALL = -$0.75

I really hope it's a repeat of the '88 World Series, it would make my life! Although I like the A's, they ****ed me off twice this spring training but then again who hasn't. I respect Billy Bean but he made one of the dumbest trades by getting rid of Eithier....The Dodgers landed a GEM.

Good Luck this year Buddy!

Comment

Working...
    X