Anyone else think this is lame?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else think this is lame?

I know there aren't all that many that post during baseball season, but I am curious as to what some of you that do think of this...

Last night as I'm sure everyone knows Jonathan Sanchez threw a "no hitter", with the only "blemish" being an error by Juan Uribe, which was without a doubt an error, as the ball was hit directly at him at 3rd base, and he proceeded to boot the ball not once, but twice, lol

My point is how is this NOT considered a perfect game? Sanchez had no control over Uribe's toolishness. He gave up no hits, walked no one, and hit no one with a pitch. He couldn't have done any more. Unfair to call the game a "no hitter" and not a "perfect game" if you ask me, since it's the pitcher who gets credit, and his performance was indeed perfect.

Anyone disagree? And why?

no point. baseball is the most frustrating, rigid, conservative sport that values "tradition" over doing the right thing.

although I agree, as long as old men like Selig are running the show, out of touch and all, baseball will continue to lose money. Hell the way the (insert cliche) economy is going, sports like the NBA and MLB will suffer.

I could be completely wrong and the MLB could be making money this year, I havent paid attention to attendance reports.

Hell when the steroid shyt hit the ceiling people were going to ballparks in record numbers so in general, people don't give a shyt, and they'll still go to games wherein MLB execs dont give a shyt as long as $ is pouring in.
    :hide:

"Schooly D is fat cake yo."
    -Big Pimpin-

Comment

agree with you stif
      NFL 17: 45-47-2 // 48.91% // -10.12
      MMA: 247-332-2 // 42.66% // -6.04
      MLB 17: 151-140-8 // 51.89% // +5.65 ROR // +42.13
      NCAAF 17: 63-49-2 // 56.25% // +6.80
      Updated on 01/13/18
      ---
      One of my 2018 resolutions: no more action gambling.

Comment

It was not a perfect game, one of his teammates goofed. However it was a no hitter because if not for the error it would have been an out and so an error is not charged to the pitcher.

Everyone has to play perfect to get a Perfect game, not just the pitcher.

My beef is it was not a no hitter. the guy hit the ball hard enough to make somebody goof therefore he got a hit.

He gets ripped because it goes down as Base on Error and counts as a No hit againist his ERA; goes down as 0.00 just like a Walk

As far as Baseball Losing money then they need to take a lesson from the WV Power Single A team here in Charleston. 8 dollar Box seat behind home plate. 7 Dollars down 1st and 3rd base. 5 Dollars for Beachers. They got a fancy Resturant with good ball park food you know the stuff that's not good for you and plenty of beer. My Nephew is the Asst Gen Manager This was 4th of July Night. He tells me the game is going to be cancelled because of Rain. So are the Fireworks. But we are going to tell all the people at 7:45 not enough time to play the game but it may stop raining and then Fireworks will be at 9:00 but there is a very good chance we will set them off because there is a break comming up in the weather. (Big Lie they knew this was BS) But for right now we are going to bring out First Round Draft choice Tony Sanchez to sign autographs. I told him yeah but your not going to put off the fireworks. He said Auntie you taught me well we have done this for years. They will stay eat and then we get more money out of them. If we tell them now they will go Home. LMAO So what do you think happened they lined up to get an autograph poked there bellys full of beer and food, but went to the Souviner shop and bought junk to get this guy to sign. Big profit off a rained out game.
        Last edited by Queen; 07-12-2009, 01:05 PM.
        NFL 2-0. Week 1
        Nfl 2-2week 2

Comment

My son and I were discussing this yesterday and we agreed that the pitcher loses on this. Sure he still gets the no-no but did nothing wrong to lose the perfect game, we decided that MLB needs another category, maybe perfectly pitched game or something like that. That's just one of the discrepancies in baseball.
          mlb 2018 157-110 +42.74 2018
          nfl 2018 54-79-1 -21.4 units 2018
          mlb 2019 348-245-3 +70.2 units 2019
          nfl 2019 54-54 -21.2 units 2019
          mlb 2020 112-75-1 +33.35 units 2020
          nfl 2020 88-87-3 -8.4 units 2021
          mlb 2020 playoffs 30-17 +30.6 units 2020
          nfl playoffs 2020 11-11-1 +25.4 units 2021
          mlb 2021 271-226 +18.3 units 2021
          mlb 2022 240-239 -62.9 units as of 10-21-2022
          mlb 2023 122-103 -9.7 units 2023
          mlb 2024 15-11 +2.7 units as of 4-13-2024

Comment

Queen, it was without a doubt an error. That ball would have never been scored a hit by any official scorer, ever. It was nothing more than a routine ground ball to 3rd base, and Uribe just booted it. It was a play you expect a little leaguer to make.

To say it matters how hard a ball is hit should matter? That's like saying if a guy throws a 1 hitter and the one hit was a broken bat blooper over the 2nd baseman's head it shouldn't have counted as a hit and it should have been a no hitter, lol

Also, I never saw a category where a team got credit for a perfect game??

There have been 17 perfect games in MLB history, and each one is credited solely to the pitcher. Weather there have been any other circumstances where this same thing has happened or not, i don't know, but IMHO Sanchez threw #18 two nights ago.

Maybe you're right gad. I wonder if this has ever even happened before. Usually after a guy throwing a great game falls victim to a bad fielding play or something, he has to go into the stretch and will probably end up throwing some bad pitches and giving up a hit or more after being in the wind-up for so many innings in a row....

Comment

The rule has always been 27 up 27 down without giving up a hit or walk no matter the reason, he faced 28 batters so unfortunatley it's not facing the minimum. Kid gets a a no/no. It sucks and the rule should be changed to accomidate a situation like this where the pitcher has no control over someone getting on i.e. catchers interference or error.

Comment

think about all of the great fielding plays that have been made to save no hitters and perfecct games. You can't just look at the plays that ruined the perfect game and not the ones that helped the no hitter. I think the rule is legit.

Comment

MLB's rule:

Since 1991, a perfect game has been defined by Major League Baseball as a game in which a pitcher pitches a complete game victory that lasts a minimum of nine innings and in which no opposition player reaches first base. In short, the pitcher cannot allow any hits, walks, hit batters, or any other baserunners for any reason, even if they are thrown out trying for extra bases. By definition, a perfect game must be both a no-hitter and a shutout. Since the pitcher cannot control whether or not his teammates commit any errors, the pitcher must be backed up by a solid defense to pitch a perfect game. However, an error which does not allow a baserunner, such as a misplayed foul ball, may occur in a perfect game.

Several games have not qualified under this revised definition. Some weather-shortened games featured no baserunners by one team, and there have been two games in which a team reached first base only in extra innings.

A perfect game is widely regarded as the pinnacle of pitching performance, and is one of the most difficult achievements in baseball, or indeed any sport. It is the masterpiece of a pitcher's career and, in Major League Baseball, places that pitcher in exceptionally elite company. In fact, it is so rare (and difficult) that luck, as much as skill, plays an enormous role; there have been many great pitchers who have never pitched a perfect game and a few otherwise forgettable pitchers who have. Over the past 130 years of Major League Baseball history, there have only been 17 perfect games; the two from the 19th century, at a time when the pitching distance was only 45 feet, are often not included in lists. In short, only one in about every 15,000 major league games played sees such an event. That works out to one perfect game every 4 years
                  NFL 2-0. Week 1
                  Nfl 2-2week 2

Comment

On June 13, 1905, Christy Mathewson of the New York Giants pitched masterfully, but two Cubs nonetheless reached base on errors by shortstop Bill Dahlen and second baseman Billy Gilbert. In a classic pitching duel, the Cubs' Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown also carried a no-hitter into the ninth, losing it and the game, 1-0.

On September 5, 1908, the Brooklyn Dodgers' Nap Rucker blanked the Boston Doves with a flawless pitching performance, despite errors that allowed three Doves to reach base. In more than a century since, no otherwise perfect game has been spoiled by multiple errors.

On July 1, 1920, an error by Senators second baseman Bucky Harris was the lone defect in what was otherwise a perfect game by Walter Johnson. Harry Hooper, the Red Sox who reached base, was batting leadoff in the seventh.

On September 3, 1947, with one out in the second, Philadelphia Athletics' first baseman Ferris Fain, after fielding a routine grounder, threw wildly to pitcher Bill McCahan, covering first base. Stan Spence of the Senators made it all the way to second, the only blemish on McCahan's otherwise perfect game.

On July 19, 1974, flawless through 3 2/3, Cleveland Indians pitcher Dick Bosman, handling a grounder off the bat of Oakland Athletic Sal Bando, threw over the first baseman's head. Not one other Athletic would reach base, making this the only occasion in major league history when the sole demerit on an otherwise perfect defensive line was the pitcher's own fielding error.

On June 27, 1980, Jerry Reuss of the Los Angeles Dodgers pitched a virtually immaculate game, but without hope of perfection—a first-inning throwing error by shortstop Bill Russell allowed the San Francisco Giants' Jack Clark to reach base. Russell atoned for his gaffe with a sharp fielding play in the eighth inning.

On August 15, 1990, the Giants' Rick Parker, batting leadoff in the seventh, reached base on a throwing error by Phillies third baseman Charlie Hayes. Parker was retired when the next batter, Dave Anderson, grounded into a double play. Terry Mulholland pitched flawlessly and faced the minimum 27—but, still, no perfect game. Hayes is thought to have redeemed himself for the fielding error by making a spectacular catch on a line drive in the ninth inning, thereby protecting Mulholland's no-hitter.

On July 10, 2009, the Giants' Jonathan Sánchez would have had a perfect game, except his third baseman, Juan Uribe, who had started the game at second base, committed a fielding error on a ground ball with one out in the eighth inning.
                    NFL 2-0. Week 1
                    Nfl 2-2week 2

Comment

I'm well aware of baseball's "rule", which is imo ridiculous.

I have still yet to see a perfect game credited to anyone but the man who pitched it, yet his teammates can influence weather his performance was perfect or not?

I agree Daws, many great plays have been made to save no hitters, and I'm sure perfect games as well, and I can even see how it somewhat relates, but, many broken bat **** bloopers have ruined them too, so to me that stuff evens out.

It still doesn't change that:

1. A perfect game is credited to the pitcher, by mlb

2. A player other than a pitcher can influence weather the person who pitches a game was perfect or not

That's dumb. That argument is completely legit and valid IF they credit the perfect game to the entire team. Until then, it makes no sense to me.

To me, its like bowling a perfect game and then not getting credit for it because someone else on your team threw a gutter ball earlier in the game or something dumb, which obviously makes no sense nor could ever happen because bowling a perfect game is an INDIVIDUAL award, just as mlb has made throwing a perfect game by crediting each one in history to the pitcher who threw it.

Comment

IMO, a circumstance such as that should be credited a perfect game, along with an asterisk next to it. Both of you present great points, and there is no simple yes or no answer.

Pitching a perfect game in baseball is one of the most magical thing in the entire sports world. Regardless on how he got there, having an actual baserunner on base would simply compromise the whole "Perfect Game" mystic. But nonetheless, the pitcher still deserves it.

An even ****tier way of that going down, would of been for him to get a strike 3 swinging, and the ball deflect of the catchers glove shooting to the backstop/dugout. While the Perfect Game does not credit the SP's teammates, it most definitely should.. as I have not seen a single Perfect Game without great plays by the IF/OF to preserve them.

Just my 0.02
                        2010 NFL Football

1-0 +$1,000

2010 NCAA Football

1-0 +$1,500

Soccer

68-16 +$18,429.12

2010 WORLD CUP

25-10 +$17,964.62

Comment

Im not trying to start an argument here but lets not forget Baseball is a team sport. So what the Team does reflex everyone else. Might as well just put up targets and just have the pitcher pitch and say well if there was a real person out in left field he would have caught that and so it's and out. Same in Football how many catches have we seen dropped and so the Quarterback is charged with an incomplete pass. Was not the QB's fault the guy should have caught it but he did not so therefore the QB gets ripped. Same in basketball guy gets ready to shot, teammate hangs out in the lane ball goes in no points. Again team sport everyone must work togather flawless, no if's and's or but's.

I do however feel for the guy getting that close to a Perfect game, to let some stupid play rip him. And he will be noted in history as pitching that was almost perfect with one error. Oh yes and the guy that screwed it up will go down in history as screwing up the perfect game. LOL
                          Last edited by Queen; 07-15-2009, 05:49 PM.
                          NFL 2-0. Week 1
                          Nfl 2-2week 2

Comment

I haven't even had a chance to think about that dilemna!

I'm still trying to figure out how Sanchez didn't give up any hits. It must have been a blue moon. I've been fading this guy on the road half the season. He's 0-7 away from home with a 6.27 era and 1.79 whip but at home he's got a tidy 3.27 era, 1.23 whip and he's holding opposting hitters to a .217 average! I guess he likes home cookin'!
                            Last edited by Kevin; 07-15-2009, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Lol Kevin. I was thinking the same, but I watched the game, and let me tell you, sanchez pitched great. Also of course it didn't hurt I'm sure that he was facing the light hitting padres.

I've always thought it was stupid to credit (or charge) a pitcher, quarterback, or goalie with the win (or loss), or any other statistic that relies on his other teammates to accomplish. But if they didn't, how else would agents hype up otherwise overrated players to get them paid, and obviously also the leagues themselves to make people interested in an otherwise sucky game because so and so might set a record or whatever?

I've never heard it said that the New York Yankees or Arizona Diamondbacks ever had a perfect game, but I've heard that David Wells (and I'm pretty sure David Cone too) and Randy Johnson have, amongst plenty of other pitchers.

That's my whole point.

MLB is contradicting itself in its own definition of a perfect game by crediting it solely to the pitcher, but then when someone in the field goofs, its suddenly by definition something the whole team had to be perfect to obtain.

Stupid.

Comment

Working...
                              X