MLB Statistics question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB Statistics question

In the STL-LAD game last night, there was a stat in the pitching line.

Carpenter got the win.
    Franklin gets the save.

Miller got the H. It is his 9th of the season.

What the hell is the H?

:dunno:

Hold, miller held the lead for carpenter before franklin came in. a setup man stat
    NFL '12

Comment

Thank you, Billy.

:beerbang:

Comment

yes, a hold is when a pitcher comes in during a save situation records at least 1 out and leaves with the lead. An interesting tidbit, a pitcher can get a hold and a loss if he leaves with the lead but a runner that he put on base scores the winning run.

Comment

Am I to assume that this is also a stat kept in fantasy leagues as well?

It just seems like a trivial stat that some pitcher can go to arbitration with....

"My arm is not good enough to be a starter, and my stuff isn't good enough to be a closer; But I did squeek a bunch of HOLD's in there...."

Thank you for the information Jerbeek and Billy.

:sm:

Comment

Originally posted by Jerbeek View Post
            yes, a hold is when a pitcher comes in during a save situation records at least 1 out and leaves with the lead. An interesting tidbit, a pitcher can get a hold and a loss if he leaves with the lead but a runner that he put on base scores the winning run.
            From my days as a fantasy baseball player, I was always under the understanding that in order for a hold to be recorded, a save must also be recorded by that reliever's team.

In other words, if you have Carlos Marmol on your fantasy team, and he pitches a successful 8th inning for example, or any part of any inning where he enters with the Flubs leading in which he records at least one out, and leaves with the Flubs leading, and in which another pitcher is already qualified to get the win, he will be credited with a hold, as long as the lead is not relinquished and the Flubs win the game.

From my past understanding, if you have Kevin Gregg on blowing saves night after night behind you, you are not credited with a hold, because no save is credited to the lead you held.

I guess I could be wrong, however, judging from what I am reading here??

Its quite the worthless stat anyway, and probably either wouldn't even exist or no one would know about it if it wasn't for fantasy baseball
            Last edited by Stifler's Mom; 08-18-2009, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X