Pick for 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick for 2008

... isnt a stock, but rather, an exchange traded fund.

PBW. It holds a group of solar and alt energy companies.

There are several factors that drive PBW. First one is that the higher the price of oil goes, the more cost effective that alternate energy is in comparison. For example, if oil were, say, to go to $150 per barrel, the business case for using solar panels rather than oil to heat homes becomes a lot more reasonable.

Another factor is that there are likely to be expanded tax breaks on a national scale for alt-energy if a Democrat is elected President in 2008. Regardless of your politics, there is at least a pretty good chance of that happening - and owning a basket of alt energy is a nice way to play that.

Lastly, in the shorter term, there is a lot of momentum around the sector - which should help the short term trade. It would not surprise me if solar and associated companies became the next bubble - which is not a bad place to be if you are riding it on the way up.

I personally took a pretty good size position in it about 3 weeks ago in the low 24s - not a bad return since then, but I am looking to hold for a good long time.
    可你住在有趣的时代 - May you live in interesting times.

Visit wagertracker and participate in free contests and track your picks.

I'm continuing to buy PMI - this is a hold, not short term.

Thanks for the insight Fish.
    If a guy doesn't have any gamble in him, he ain't worth a crap - Evel Knievel
    What's done in the dark will be brought to the light -Johnny Cash

Comment

Working...
    X