Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cavs/SA PreGame 2 Discussion/Thoughts....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavs/SA PreGame 2 Discussion/Thoughts....

I'm not a big NBA fan or follower...but, truth be told, the Cavs/James being in the Finals have made this a little more interesting for the non NBA fan. I watched all of Game 1 and was wondering if I could get a little insight into tonight's game from some of the solid cappers here.

My personal opinion on Game 1 was that it was an ugly game...by both teams. I felt like SA had a ton of opportunities to blow that game out...but they were prone to long stretches of missing easy shots and turning the ball over. Here's my problem....is that SA's style? Are they known as a team that likes to win ugly and go on offensive droughts? Or was that the Cleveland D? Or was it rust?

I'd like to take the Cavs and the points tonight...at the same time, if I don't think SA looked very good Thursday night and they still covered....what about tonight? On the positive side for the Cavs, I thought that they made a nice adjustment in the second half when they started running James off of low screens to get him the ball on the wing. James was able to drive to the basket more effectively in the 2nd half. In the first half, when James had the ball at the top of the key and was 40 feet away from the basket, the Spurs kept him from driving to the basket.

I guess the biggest question that lingers in my mind tonight was whether the cappers here thought SA played well Thursday, played poorly Thursday, or whether that was a typical performance. If SA is prone to go on offensive droughts like they did Thursday, then I'll have to consider that....if SA's offensive performance on Thursday was not the norm, then I'll have a hard time going against them tonight.

Thoughts?
    "You come at the King, you best not miss." Omar

This is a very intriguing matchup tonight. Spurs have covered 3 in a row and 6 of their last 7 while the Cavs have also covered 6 of their last 7. I'm definitely leaning towards the over, as the overs have covered 5 of the last 7 games for the Spurs and 3 of the last 4 for the Cavs. I actually expect a fairly high-scoring game tonight, at least for these two teams.

I almost see this as a do-or-die game for the Cavs. Not that they have to win, but they have to keep it extremely competitive. If the Spurs win this game by double digits, I honestly think this series is over. I realize the 2-3-2 system benefits the Cavs in many people's eyes, but the Spurs have had virtually no trouble winning on the the road thus far in the playoffs. I really think the Cavs need some momentum going into game 3 in Cleveland.

What pisses me off the most about this game is that it's on at the same time as The Sopranos. There's no way I'm not going to miss the series finale of one of my favorite shows ever over this game. At least I'll be able to watch the end of the game, though.
    “So back during college basketball season my buddy Shecky tells me he’s got this system. He says it’s an absolute lock when you have this combination: Big East team, on the road, given less than 6 points with a white point guard.” ---Artie Lange in Beer League

Comment

I agree that game 1 was ugly, but IMO it was a typical Spurs in the Finals performance- they played solid D, had pretty good ball movement, & outrebounded the Cavs by 11. They shot 45% & their big 3 combined for 67 pts. Not to say they can't push the ball & shoot at a high % (as they have at home in the playoffs), but they are facing a much better defense than Denver, Phx, or Utah. The Spurs are capable of playing both fast-paced & grind em out possesion type games. Yes they went on offensive droughts, but historically in the finals, this is a team that relies on stout defense & fundamentals to win. I don't think they were that rusty, Parker came out slashing through the Cavs, but was slowed down a bit when James picked up the assignment. I would think LeBron checks him again tonight, as IMO nobody else can guard Parker- he's just too quick. At least James has the height/size advantage. I really don't expect coach Pop to deviate much from what he did game 1- although the game was close at times, it seemed as if the Spurs were always in control.

Regarding the Cavs on offense, Hughes is a liability out there. Gibson & Sasha played well as they were the only aggressive ones. Z was a nonfactor. Nice observation about James coming off low screens 2ndh. I was quite surprised when the Cavs didn't look to post James up a bit more in the post. Sure he can create space outside & hit shots, but he needs to be attacking the rim. I would think they try that a bit more in game 2. Get him in the post, have him make a move, & when the D collapses, kick it to Gibson! There definitely has to be more aggressiveness driving to the hoop from the Cavs as a whole for them to win/cover tonight. I guess the big question is whether or not the Cavs can execute their gameplan.... Personally, I think the under is a stronger play than the Cavs. I have trouble seeing the Cavs pulling out the win tonight, so I have trouble taking the points. They could be down by 3-5 the whole game, then lose the cover late. Still deciding but GL whatever you decide :thumbs:
      Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends...

Comment

Thanks for the insight guys...nice look at two different perspectives on tonight's total. Still mulling over everything...UD, if you don't like the Cavs tonight, that gives me major pause on pulling the trigger on them.

BlazerAndy, I don't know if you have cable or directv/dish, but for $6.95 a month, I am a firm believer that DVR/Tivo is one of the best deals money can buy nowadays. I'll DVR the Finals, watch the Soporanos, start at the beginning of the game at about 10:15 p.m., skip all the commercials and the half time show and most likely be caught up by the 4th quarter....now, that won't help me if I want to bet a half time line (which I don't), but it is a nice way to watch every minute of a 3 to 3 1/2 hour game in about 1 1/2 - 2 hours......I don't think I've had to endure a commercial in about 3 years...its friggin' great!

GL tonight guys.
        "You come at the King, you best not miss." Omar

Comment

rust.

Spurs made that game look closer than it was. and they slowed it down, they dont care what people think, Underdog is right, its all about the D.

as for offense, clearly rust, Spurs can run if they want, the % was OK...but the attempts was only in the 70s range, with only 15 FTAs per team...that will make any score go under..

if they jack up more shots, and go to the basket more, the over has a chance.

as for the side, I like the Spurs again LOL. (ignore last sentence, obvious homer)
          :hide:

"Schooly D is fat cake yo."
          -Big Pimpin-

Comment

oh and just to gloss over your concern nigel, that was not the norm for the Spurs, credit must be given to the Cavs, they are a good defensive team, maybe a combo of rust and their D made this score under in game 1, and the reason the score came out closer than it should have been as the Cavs were horrible offensively but almost covered.

Parker and Duncan were really the only ones doing anything...Duncan kept them in the game, and Parker gave them that huge lead, but like ya'll mentioned, he was curtailed somewhat by the bigger James when he switched over to him at times.
            :hide:

"Schooly D is fat cake yo."
            -Big Pimpin-

Comment

Working...
            X