Alexander & Branch Out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexander & Branch Out

This just came out last night! Think the line will drop once it is known!?

KING 5 Seahawks: Alexander & Branch Out

The Mike Holmgren Show is coming on soon. Coach Holmgren tells us that Shaun Alexander and Deion Branch are out for Monday's football game with the 49ers. Both are banged up. Holmgren says he expects both to return next week against the Bears. Coach gave us a little insight into Shaun's situation. During practice, he wanted Alexander to make certain cuts/runs before allowing him to play against San Fran.

Alexander told Holmgren before the drills/practice, that he couldn't do it the way it needed to be done. Coach says Shaun is always honest about those things and he likes that about the former MVP. As for Branch, the Hawks have enough fire power at the position to give Deion another week of rest.

Posted by Joel Knip on November 11, 2007 8:44 PM
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Shaun has lost alot this year in explosiveness
    If its fun, do it

Comment

That and the offensive line is different for Seattle this year.

RB's get way too much credit when things are going good, but it always seems to be the line's fault when the running game is going bad....which may be true, but then it's their blocking that's making the backs look good and getting them their overblown contracts too when they have MVP seasons.

There are a few exceptions like Barry Sanders who could pretty much break some big runs behind any 5 stiffs....but mainly this holds true for any RB.

Comment

I agree with stif. It seems like when alexander was a beast, they went run left behind hutchinson every time. The second that guy left alexander started blowing.

Comment

At this point I don't think Morris getting the nod over Alexander is much of a dropoff. The team's probably used to being without Branch LoL, Engram has stepped it up & they still have Burleson. I see 9.5, & really have no interest in backing the Niners with that incompetent offense on the road. Seattle has had their trouble on the ol, but if you want to talk bad o-lines, look at the Niners. Smiley's out, ot Harris is questionable. RG Baas will be making his first start of the season. IMO the biggest potential problem for SF could be left tackle Snyder. He'll have his hands full with Tapp (5.5 sacks this season) to start, but IMO the trouble will come when Seattle send Peterson in on blitzes. He has 7 sacks this season... also Rocky Bernard will play, & Kerney should as well.
          Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends...

Comment

Man, I got nothing on this game....even though Seattle is traditionally a good home team, there is no way I can lay 9.5 with them.....and with that SF offense, there's no way I can take the points either! :bang:

Might just make a small play in the Under? :dunno:

Comment

This game sucks!!!! I'm laying off tonight:thumbs:

Comment

I vote Udog takes Kornhole's spot on MNF
                If its fun, do it

Comment

San Fran was ATROCIOUS at home against Seattle earlier this year, but they did have to go to Dilfer after A. Smith was knocked out in the 1Q.

That said, I have visions of a Branch-less offense against New Orleans earlier this year...and they aren't good.

I like San Fran to put up a good effort for Nolan tonight...

Comment

My take on the hawks as they're my team and I follow them religiously.

Morris vs Alexander. At this stage, Morris is an upgrade over the Alexander we've seen this year. Alexander soft running cutback style isn't working with what this oline is giving him and that he has lost a step is only making things look worse. His wrist has made him useless as a reciever and he wasn't a good blocker when he had both hands so he's been ineffective at best this year. Morris is a far more simple runner, he isn't gonna break the runs that Alexander could, he doesn't have the vision or ability to really turn nothing into something but what he will give the hawks more with this oline than Shaun could. Shaun seemed to either bust a 7-8 yd + run or get stuffed at or behind the line. Morris will take the 3-4 tough yards and bust the occasional bigger run. The oline is creating some holes but Shauns methodical approach of waiting for things to develop just didn't work as this oline isn't good enough to hold the holes for long periods. MoMo is far quicker to the hole which is what this oline needs in a back. He'll give Matt a dump off option as he's a good reciever. He's a good fit for the wco that holmy runs.

As for Branch. This would be a bigger issue if Hackett hadn't returned to the line up. DJ and Matt have a good repoire, he's a big reciever with good hands. He doesn't make people miss like Branch but he's made a lot of big catches for the hawks in his time with the team and was missed early. I would argue that he's actually been better for the hawks in his time with the team than Branch has been. The New Orelans game was brought up and that game didn't have Branch or Hackett. The guys forced to step up for them in that game, Obamanu and Burleson aren't reliable targets so the offense was going to suffer and it showed that day. The offense ideally needs all 3 (Branch, Engram, Hackett) of those guys to run at its best but 2 of the 3 are a must for this offense to be able to move the ball with consistancy.

All in all I like the way Matts looked this season, if Morris can get him some sort of run game and by my write up above you know I believe he can then this pass game will be fine without Branch. If your concern with taking the hawks was the loss of those 2, my belief is the team will be okay without them.
                    Last edited by flmmkrz; 11-12-2007, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Good analysis Flmmkrz... hope you made a play on your boys. SF's O-line is god awful...
                      Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends...

Comment

Working...
                      X