X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White House urges US consumers to spend

White House urges US consumers to spend
    Published: Thursday March 13, 2008

HOW CAN I SPEND WHEN ALL MY EXTRA MONEY IS GOING TO COVER THE RISE OF COST OF GASOLINE? THEY ARE GIVING ME MONEY??? HMMM THINK THAT WOULD BE MY MONEY IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!! NOW IT IS GOING TO GET TAXED AGAIN! CAN SOMEONE FIGURE OUT HOW MUCH THAT DOLLAR IS NOW WORTH AFTER BEING TAXED TWICE? NOW FOLLOW ME HERE I fill up once a week two cars so that is estimate 40 gallons. Times 40 gallons bye 52 weeks gives me 2080 gallons. Now last year at this time I was paying $2.75 for the good stuff and today $3.50. So that is a .75 cent different. Okay now 2080 gallons times .75 cents that should give me yep $1560 right about the $1600 mark they are stealing from me and giving back to me so I can give it back to the oil companys..............:bang: What am I missing here? :boog:

The White House, buffeted by a stronger than expected drop in monthly US retail sales, urged US consumers Thursday to shop and said they should be confident in long-term US economic health.

"We do want to see the consumer spend, and that's one of the reasons for the rebate checks," spokesman Tony Fratto said, referring to a key component of a stimulus package valued at 152 billion for 2008 and 16 billion next year.

"The big message is that you can have confidence in the long-term future of our economy," Fratto told reporters amid growing fears that the world's wealthiest country may be facing a recession.

He spoke after the US Commerce Department reported that US retail sales fell an unexpected 0.6 percent in February from the prior month as consumers coped with rising oil and food prices.

Core retail sales, excluding auto sales, dipped by 0.2 percent, the Commerce Department said.

The 0.6 percent fall was far worse than analysts' consensus forecasts of a 0.2 percent decline in both indicators.

With consumer spending the main engine of the US economy, the February report showing Americans were closing their wallets heightened concerns the world's biggest economy is falling into, or already is in, recession.

The White House has refused to use what US President George W. Bush called "the 'R' word" in an interview Wednesday, and Fratto said that he expected the US economy to show signs of strength later this year.

"We are going to see the benefits of the tax relief and the economic growth package coming on line. The Federal Reserve is taking measures that would allow growth to return to the economy," he said.

"So we want to let that have the impact that we expect it will have, and if it does I think we'll see economic growth and job growth return -- and we would expect the consumer to return also," said Fratto.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Hmm I guess I should move this to the politcal forum!!!! Forgot we had this forum!
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Comment

there were days in the past i would sometimes think to myself how i could never imagine living in another country. those days are long gone. this country stinks. we are well on our way to becoming a 3rd world nation. we will produce nothing and have poverty rates that rival anyone. we have a government that only cares about re-electing itself. we penalize anyone who is successful. we reward those who contribute nothing to society. we reward people who break our rules about immigration. our cost of living is out of sight. we are losing our middle class completely. we really have a lot fewer freedoms than we think and the government takes those away daily. but hey, what's not to like about the good old US of A.......:puke:.....i honestly think if our founding fathers knew the way our government was governing today, they wouldn't have bothered to have even come to this place. taxation without representation....remember all that stuff our forefathers ran from in England...well we have it here now......
      Last edited by FlyersFan; 03-14-2008, 09:28 AM.
      I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
        there were days in the past i would sometimes think to myself how i could never imagine living in another country. those days are long gone. this country stinks. we are well on our way to becoming a 3rd world nation. we will produce nothing and have poverty rates that rival anyone. we have a government that only cares about re-electing itself. we penalize anyone who is successful. we reward those who contribute nothing to society. we reward people who break our rules about immigration. our cost of living is out of sight. we are losing our middle class completely. we really have a lot fewer freedoms than we think and the government takes those away daily. but hey, what's not to like about the good old US of A.......:puke:.....i honestly think if our founding fathers knew the way our government was governing today, they wouldn't have bothered to have even come to this place. taxation without representation....remember all that stuff our forefathers ran from in England...well we have it here now......
        PREACH..............agree 345% :beerbang: :beerbang:
        ****all plays 4.4 units to win 4 units unless otherwise noted****

NBA 20-22 -16.8 units
        NHL 1-0 +4.0 units
        MLB 0-1 -4.8 units
        CFB 12-6-1 +21.6 units

Comment

All I can say is that people better get off their asses and vote for obama

hillary gets us more of the same.mccain makes things worse.

obama is the lesser of the three evils.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post

wow....can't say i agree....he will support every minority i don't want to work program and cut every tax break you are getting not to mention destroy incentives for small business. he is scary, very scary.
            I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
              :thumbs:

McCain gets in you guys are done...(IMO)

Comment

LMAO ANY OF THEM GET IN AND WERE DONE!!!

OBAMA keeps talking about change but he has never once said what he is going to change!!!!

McCain = Bush

Clinton = Same ****

I think I'm going to vote for that Nator guy........Sort of like the way his name sounds!!!
                Ralph :puke: Nator the king of Bator's

:laughing:

Comment

I dont know Guys Im a Rep. But the last time Hillary was in office she did not do that bad. :laughing: Now here is Queen's prediction. If and only If she wins the DEM primary her running mate will be her Hubby. So she's president again for 4 years runs for re-election. Wins and then Bill knocks her of and is President again. :laughing: Only problem is, is who will help him the next time. :laughing:
                  NFL 2-0. Week 1
                  Nfl 2-2week 2

Comment

Working...
                  X