****all plays 4.4 units to win 4 units unless otherwise noted****

NBA 20-22 -16.8 units
    NHL 1-0 +4.0 units
    MLB 0-1 -4.8 units
    CFB 12-6-1 +21.6 units

One hell of a reporter. Its sad to see him go. RIP Tim :beerbang:

Comment

STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT

Laura and I are deeply saddened by the sudden passing of Tim Russert. Those of us who knew and worked with Tim, his many friends, and the millions of Americans who loyally followed his career on the air will all miss him.
      As the longest-serving host of the longest-running program in the history of television, he was an institution in both news and politics for more than two decades. Tim was a tough and hardworking newsman. He was always well-informed and thorough in his interviews. And he was as gregarious off the set as he was prepared on it.

Most important, Tim was a proud son and father, and Laura and I offer our deepest sympathies to his wife Maureen, his son Luke, and the entire Russert family. We will keep them in our prayers.

Others tributes trickling in...

This from Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev:

"I was greatly saddened to learn of Tim Russert's untimely death. Tim was a warm and gracious family man with a great zest for life and an unsurpassed passion for his work. His rise from working-class roots to become a well-respected leader in political journalism is an inspiration to many. Tim asked the tough questions the right way and was the best in the business at keeping his interview subjects honest. My thoughts are with his family."

Sen. John McCain:

"I am very saddened by Tim Russert's sudden death. Cindy and I extend our thoughts and prayers to the Russert family as they cope with this shocking loss and remember the life and legacy of a loving father, husband and the preeminent political journalist of his generation. He was truly a great American who loved his family, his friends, his Buffalo Bills, and everything about politics and America. He was just a terrific guy. I was proud to call him a friend, and in the coming days, we will pay tribute to a life whose contributions to us all will long endure."

CNN's Larry King just touched on the tricky part in this. It's not just Russert who was an institution. Meet the Press itself is, too. And the show must go on.
      "I don't know who's going to fill that spot at Meet the Press. Wouldn't want it."

CBS Newsman Bob Schieffer put it this way to WTOP-AM in Washington, the CBS radio station. They were good friends, but also competitors, and loved to scoop each other -- if they could: "When you got one past old Russert, you felt like you had hit a home run off the best pitcher in the league," he said.

More official tributes:

House Republican Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio

"Tim Russert was so much more than the longest-serving moderator in history of NBC's Meet the Press. He was a loyal and loving son. He was a devoted husband and father. He was one of the smartest, toughest television news journalists of all time. And he was an astute student of American politics.
      "I can say from experience that joining Tim on Meet the Press was one of the greatest tests any public official could face. Regardless of party affiliation, he demanded that you be straight with him - and with the American people who were watching. Tim's 'white board' analysis of the Electoral College has become a fixture on election nights, and frankly, it is difficult to imagine what that night will be like without him this year....

"It goes without saying that Tim will be missed. And it goes without saying that Washington, DC and our nation's political landscape will never be the same without him."

Sen. John Kerry:

"Today's awful news about Tim Russert's sudden passing is a swift kick for everyone who knew, respected, and loved Tim and had the honor of sharing his company. It's hard to describe the shock. Tim was the best political newsman of his generation, and he was a trailblazer in the unique way he brought his personal love of politics, honed by Moynihan and Cuomo, right into our living rooms every Sunday. Tim was at once brilliant and insightful while always approachable, always accessible, and always your next door neighbor and your friend who was there to referee the debates of the big issues of our time. He relished that role and he excelled at it, as any one would who believed in the tenets of Jesuit education. He loved to hold the big guys accountable and in the original, intelligent, studied way he did it he emerged as the biggest guy of all. It is impossible to overstate how much Tim was inseparable from American politics. When I decided to announce for President, the only place to do it was on 'Meet the Press.' It is impossible to imagine political life without him as our guide every Sunday. But it is even more difficult to find the words to express our sympathy for Maureen, Luke, his father Big Russ, and Tim's family at NBC. Tim, Maureen, and their family will remain in our thoughts and prayers a long, long time."

NEWT GINGRICH:

(Houston, TX) Anyone who knew Tim Russert personally and the millions who knew him from his years at NBC News knew that he loved life and lived every moment of it. Even though he had reached the professional pinnacle of the political news world, you always knew and he always knew that he was just a kid from Buffalo and he never forgot it.

Tim was genuinely charming but as anyone who came to the set of Meet the Press unprepared can tell you, he was direct, tough and gave no quarter. His experience working with Gov. Mario Cuomo and Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan gave him an insight few in the journalism world can match.

It is particularly poignant to lose such a dedicated father and a son who so honored his father in his book "Big Russ and me" just before Father's Day.

Tim's life serves as a model and a reminder for everyone to cherish the ones you love.

I considered him my friend and I will miss him. Callista and I are praying for him and those who loved him.

Society of Professional Journalists president Clint Brewer:

Tim Russert is one of the giants of American journalism, and he left us too early. He was a personal inspiration to me, and his work as a journalist helped me understand politics. Every episode of 'Meet the Press' was a lesson for the country. The leaders of the Society of Professional Journalists send our deepest condolences to the Russert family and to the team at NBC news.

Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean

"Today we lost one of the true giants of American journalism and a tremendous public servant. Tim Russert will be remembered for many things. A committed family man, devout Catholic, devout sports fan, author, mentor. A tough interviewer, Tim delivered the news with authority, in a plain-spoken way that made the great issues of our day accessible to everyone. His love of politics and our country came through in his relentless pursuit of the truth and in the quality of his work as a journalist. On this sad day, our thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones."
      RNC Chairman Robert M. "Mike" Duncan:
      "On behalf of the members and staff of the Republican Party, I extend our thoughts and prayers to the family and colleagues of Tim Russert. His sudden death is a loss that will be felt throughout the journalism and political worlds. His reputation for fairness, accuracy and hard work earned him bipartisan respect. He will be missed."

Comment

I agree.....good man.....RIP...

Big Russ & me....good book...my dad gave it too me one birthday.....

Comment

Working...
        X