Favre to Tampa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favre to Tampa

The Tampa Tribune is reporting the Favre deal is all but done.

Favre On Verge Of Joining Bucs
    Posted August 06, 2008 by Ira Kaufman
    Updated Aug 06, 2008 at 12:35 AM

The Brett Favre saga is about to end with the NFL icon in pewter.

The Tribune has learned Favre will not stand in the way of a trade from Green Bay to Tampa Bay and the deal is likely to be finalized within 24 hours.

The chances of the trade unraveling are remote and Favre has indicated to the Bucs directly that he is willing to change teams after 16 years of growing his legend in Green Bay.

The Packers, unwilling to deal the 3-time league MVP to an NFC North rival, view the Bucs as a compromise in this ugly impasse. The Bucs view Favre as an upgrade on QB Jeff Garcia, who made the Pro Bowl in 2007 while leading Tampa Bay to an NFC South title.

Once it became clear to Favre that he wasn’t welcome back in Green Bay, he became more flexible in terms of accepting a trade to clubs outside the division. The Bucs have been interested in Favre since last month, when he announced he wanted to play again.

The Bucs could make the trade announcement official by Wednesday, but Favre will have little time to learn Coach Jon Gruden’s complex system because the Bucs open the regular season Sept. 7 at division rival New Orleans.

Looks like Jeff Garcia has just lost his "stranglehold" as the starting quarterback. If this is true the next question becomes what did the Packers get in return and where does this leave Garcia?

Does he stay in Tampa as a backup? I doubt it.

How about the NY Jets?

What would make this really interesting is if he ends up in Chicago, Minnesota, or even Detroit. The Packers would have given up Favre and in the process improved one of their division rivals if any of them acquires Garcia from a quarterback heavy Bucs squad.

I heard Garcia might be the guy going back to GB for back up insurance on the rookie...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
      I heard Garcia might be the guy going back to GB for back up insurance on the rookie...
      I think this would be a bad idea.

Is Garcia willing to take a role holding a clipboard? If not they are putting even more pressure on Rodgers and possibly creating even more problems in the Green Bay locker room.

But on the other hand they could use a veteran behind Rodgers in case he fails because right now all the have is two rookies behind him (Brohm and Flynn).

If I were the Packers front office I would look at one of the other Buccaneer quarterbacks as part of the return (Griese, McCown, Simms). They all provide decent depth and come without the distractions that Garcia would more than likely create.

Comment

As a vikes fan, I was hoping to see Favre in Minnesota. As much as I have hated on the guy, he would be 500X better than Action Jackson. Hell, Ill take Garcia over him. I will never understand Childress obsession with insisting on Tavaris being the man. He is too raw and hasn't had anyone to learn from. I just dont get it! Whatever, Its gonna be along season if all my team has is defense. I guess their hoping on winning every game with baseball scores 6-3. AP cant do it all and teams are going to stack the box because they have no respect for Jacksons passing. Im afraid they are going to work AP into the ground and then we'll have NOTHING! :puke:

Comment

Working...
        X