Steel City's PreSeason Week 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel City's PreSeason Week 1

I'll post all of my action for the first week of the NFL PreSeason here.

New to the site so a quick explanation of how I handicap and place wagers.

The PreSeason can be money in the bank with research. I read all the hometown newspapers and coaches press conference transcripts. This provides critical information on the amount of playing time the starters will get and often times the strategy for the upcoming game. Once this is done I'll go over the depth charts and injuries paying special attention to the quarterback, running back, and offensive line positions. I'll then do some match ups and look over some systems, trends, and other numerical based edges.

Plays in the PreSeason are on a 1 or 2 unit basis. In the regular season they are 1 through 3 units.

Hopefully I can contribute some knowledge that will help us all make a little more money. Good Luck to all on the upcoming season.
    Last edited by Steel City; 08-06-2008, 01:08 PM.

Thursday August 7, 2008

*2* Baltimore +3.5 -110

According to Baltimore's new head coach, John Harbaugh, the Ravens will play their starting offense for the entire first half Thursday night against the Pats. With Kyle Boller getting the majority of snaps at quarterback with the starting unit and rookie Joe Flacco coming in as relief. McGahee will sit out but the starting offensive line will get "plenty of work".

The Pats on the other look like they'll be missing star quarterback Tom Brady who has missed several practices and many of their starting offensive front.

With a new head coach at the helm and a competition at quarterback the Ravens look like a team that will be playing to win. Many new coaches want to start out their regime with a W no matter if it is the preseason or not and Harbaugh looks like he is in that boat. Add in the fact that they are getting more than a field goal against a team that will be missing several key cogs and are probably still feeling the lingering effects of the Super Bowl upset and the Ravens look like an excellent play.
    Last edited by Steel City; 08-06-2008, 01:33 PM.

Comment

I'm guessing your not the same Steel City from MJacks are you?

Welcome

BB
      "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Barooooooo View Post
        I'm guessing your not the same Steel City from MJacks are you?

Welcome

BB
        Nope.

Thanks for the welcome.

Comment

Thursday August 7, 2008

*1* Under 32 NY Giants at Detroit -110

Been pondering this one for a few days and finally decided to pull the trigger.

The Lions come into the 2008 season committed to run the football. Since Barry Sanders the Lions have lacked a serious ground game but under Coach Marinelli they will attempt to revive their ground attack this season. Tonight against the Giants they will put this plan into motion for the first time. "We’re going to run the ball. Let’s say we’re not running it real good, we’ll keep trying to run it so they learn what they’re doing." said Offensive Coordinator Jim Colletto.

On the other side the Giants are fresh off a summer of celebration after upsetting the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl. The Giants have had a glut of injuries in their receiving corps and when Coach Coughlin was asked if those receivers were out for tonights game in Detroit he said "All of those receivers(are out). Burress, Smith, obviously Tyree is not there yet. Manningham won’t play."

With one team dead set on running the ball no matter if it is working or not and the other having a rash of injuries in their receiving corps this game should be a battle of ground forces which keeps the clock moving and bodes very well for the Under.
          Last edited by Steel City; 08-07-2008, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Great job Steel!

Comment

Thanks Redhog. It's always nice to get off to a good start.

Comment

Friday August 8, 2008

*2* Over 34 San Francisco at Oakland -110

*1* San Francisco +2.5 +100

Tonight the San Franciso 49ers travel across the bay to do battle with the Oakland Raiders. The 49ers enter the 2008 season with Mike Martz as their new offensive coordinator. The 49ers are looking for one of three quarterbacks to emerge and take over the starting role under the new Martz philosophy. "..the top three quarterbacks(O'Sullivan, Smith, and Hill) enter the exhibition-game phase of the judging on equal footing, Nolan insists." according to the San Francisco Chronicle. J.T. O'Sullivan will get the start and since Nolan knows the least about him, "Nolan said he probably would keep most of his first team on the field a little longer than normal." The quarterback battle will lead to more passing according to Nolan "Naturally, you don't want to have a quarterback hand it off 12 plays in a row if we are trying to evaluate the quarterbacks."

The Raiders also have three quarterbacks with NFL starts under their belt hitting the field tonight but there is no question that Jemarcus Russell is their starter. The battle will be for the second string spot with Walter and Tuiasosopo both slated to see plenty of action. The Raiders boast good depth both at quarterback(Russell, Walter, Tuiasosopo) and at running back with first rounder Darren McFadden looking to make a good first impression in front of the Raider faithful.

All six quarterbacks that will be playing tonight have started in an NFL game. This combined with a battle for quarterback on both teams bodes very bad for the Raiders and 49ers second, third, and fourth string defenses. A quarterback who is capable of starting in the regular season will pick apart a third string defense especially when it means moving up the depth chart. Both teams receivers should see plenty of action tonight which makes the Over a very good bet. The 49ers also have some good value here with their first team looking to play longer than the Raiders and a three way battle for the starting quarterback job going on. Nolan also expressed a desire to win this game while Kiffin says "The outcome of the game really is not that important to me..."
                Last edited by Steel City; 08-08-2008, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Solid analysis Steel City, GL :thumbs:
                  Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends...

Comment

Working...
                  X