***MNF Discussion thread***

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***MNF Discussion thread***

Figured we could get some opinions going on both games tonight. Been looking at the GB game all week.
    I'll buy into the Viking defense, particularly their solid run D. That being said I think they still have a suspect secondary. Last season they had the worst pass defense statistically, allowing 264 avg per game through the air. GB took both games last season & dominated the home game with a 34-0 victory. They controlled the clock avg 40-20 on T.O.P. & Grant was able to generate an offensive rushing game (25 carries 119 1td). Bollinger was the qb, AP was knocked out in the third, & the Vikings went 0-8 on 3rd downs while being outgained 488-247 in total yards. Tavaris is still very much a question mark when it comes to what kind of potential he has. You could say the same for Rodgers, but he has shown progress & played very well on the drives I saw in preseason. Oh yeah, & he's not the one in the hostile environment.

I think Minnesota is getting a little too much respect here. I know Favre isn't the qb, but this is still a team that went 13-3 last season & almost made the SB. They still have a solid o-line to generate a run game. They still have more than capable wrs in Driver, Jennings & Jones. They still have a very solid defense with an outstanding lb in Hawk. My main concern with backing the Pack tonight is hoe healthy AJ is. Minnesoto last season on the road

lost @DET 20-17

lost @KC 13-10

won @CHI 34-31

lost @DAL 24-14

lost @GB 34-0

won @NYG 41-17

won @SF 27-7

lost @DEN 22-19

with the exception of the GB game, all were very closely played. The 10 pt Dallas win was much closer than the score would suggest. Kudos to beating the Giants on the road, but they still went 3-5. The Vikings beat 2 teams with .500+ records (Chargers and Giants). I think the Packers win. regarding the total, I think this one gets over 40 as well. GB scored 30+ pts at home in 5 of 8 games last season. I think there is a reason Favre was pushed out the door. I have to think they are comfortable with Rodgers in there...thinking GB wins 24-20 or so.
    Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends...

leaning towards both home teams myself....

minnesota's d is going to be tough but their secondary can still be had and I like GB's recievers against the secondary... green bay's d is going to stuff the box like they did vs Minnesota last year and let Jackson beat them and I honestly dont think he can..

on the oakland game, I like the Raiders here, they made some improvements to a tough defense last year, and they added a good running back and I think not having Marshall will make it alot easier for the Raiders and they can try and get pressure on Cutler...
    To A Phillies World Series :beerbang:

Flyers and Eagles --- its your turn:beerbang:

1 unit=25 dollars
    2 units=50, etc.. and so on

Comment

Not much time to post my thoughts, but I like the Packers at -2.5. Tavaris Jackson has to show me something before I put money on him to win at one of the toughest places to play in the entire NFL. Sure Adrian Peterson could potentially win the game by himself, but I'd look for a lot of 8-in-the-box type looks from GB on the early downs, and then they will look to blitz him if they make some stops on first down. Aaron Rogers, for all the flak he seems to take, is still a quality QB as far as I could tell in the pre-season. I'm not talking about his numbers, more the way he looked when throwing the ball. He had the arm strength and he has the weapons. Ryan Grant will be there to supplement a balanced attack.

Also taking a peek at the under. Unless Peterson gets 2 or more scores, the Vikes will struggle to score.

I think it will be 17-10, 17-7, something like that.

Regarding the late game. I'll probably lay off. But I think its absurd to take Denver as a road fav. After their bye, the Broncos won only 1 road game @KC. That includes a waxing at Detroit, a DD loss at Oakland, DD loss at Houston, and DD loss at San Diego. If the Pack look to cover in the first one, I'll probably grab the +ML in the 2nd game.
      Last edited by NittanyLions94; 09-08-2008, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Also leaning towards the Raiders ML. Broncos trash vs the run last season, IMO there's a misconception about their D. The Broncos has decent passing D numbers (193 avg yds) but really just because they were busy allowing 142 ypg on the ground & 4.6 yards per carry! Oakland was even worse, allowing 4.8 ypc/145 per game. Broncos road results last season

won @BUF 15-14

lost @IND 38-20

lost @DET 44-7

won @KC 27-11

lost @CHI 37-34

lost @OAK 34-20

lost @HOU 31-13

lost @SD 23-3

A 2-6 road team laying points on the road, something I have yet to see anyone post! I am very torn as I think the over could be a solid play, yet I don't trust Denver to keep their end of the bargain. Denver's team total is 21.5 & as you can see, they only scored over 20 points in 2 road games last season. Maybe I'll get cute & play Den team under 21.5/Raiders team o19.5. Almost definitely on the Raiders though....
        Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Underdog88 View Post
          lost @SD 23-3[/B]

A 2-6 road team laying points on the road, something I have yet to see anyone post!
          Regarding the late game. I'll probably lay off. But I think its absurd to take Denver as a road fav.
          ^^^^

Comment

You guys stole my thunder.

I already took both home teams.

I think the QB (jackson) in Min is unknown. I personally think their coach isn't the brightest lightbulb in the ocean. A. Rodgers has a lot to prove and I think he is ready and able to guide this team all the way through the NFC (to the super bowl). Minnesota has two known good things: def against the run and A. Peterson.

Green Bay is actually a very well rounded team and may actually be better without favre. I'll take the HT as a slight fav on MNF in a divisional game.

-----
            Oak V. Den
            For me this is a gut play. I took Oak plus the points. Oak last few seasons have been an absolute joke, but Denver is definitely on the downturn. Denver's d is (has been) over rated. I don't think...like UD said, a bad road team with an overated D should be a favorite on the road in Oakland on MNF.

Horfin
            a.d.

2021 NHL: (through 02/24/2021)
            Sides: +17.4 units
            Totals: +0 units
            In Game (Not posted) -0.6 units
            Parlay: -1.8

All 2021 NHL:+14.9 units

Comment

I don't have a ton of time to type reasoning today, but I also took Green Bay and Oakland tonight....which, after the way football has been going for me so far this year, probably doesn't make anyone on one or both of them any too excited :puke:

Comment

Those perceived weaknesses of the Vikings...Pass defence and pass offence were addressed a little bit in the offseason.

Getting Allen surely helps the secondary as he and probowl "Williams squared" should consistantly put pressure on Rodgers. Antoine Winfield also returns healthy...and they missed him most of the second half of the season with injuries. He's their best cover guy. Unfortunately, it looks like new Safety Madieu Williams is out.

I agree Tavaris Jackson is a wildcard, but the Vikings did try to help out that area by signing deep threat Berrian. We'll see how that pans out. With AP & Taylor...he doesn't need to do much though. Just play smart. There were some un-hearalded QBs who played smart and safe yesterday, and won for their teams (Cassel, Flacco, Ryan, Edwards, Orton)...and they didn't have AP or the Minny defence. And Tavaris isn't exactly facing a veteran on the other side either.

Should be a good game...could go wither way, as the teams are pretty evenly matched.

I agree with the other game....Oakland takes it outright. :thumbs:

Comment

madieu williams being out is a good thing I'd say because he was on the bengals D last year and we all know about that..

Picking the winner system was hard this week for me, but picking green bay and oakland to win.

Comment

It amazes me how these teams

Come in here in game 1 and it looks like they never touched the field in a year, let alone went through Mini Camps and Training Camps

-Oakland
                    -St Louis
                    -Houston

THESE TEAMS LOOK HORRIBLE

Oakland is making Eddie Royal look like Jerry Rice
                    and does Deangelo Hall have a brain ?
                    Keep em in the hole, Down in the hole

NCAA STR PLAYS YTD
                    (5-6) -1.5

NCAA 3 PICKS PARLAYS YTD
                    (1-1) +1 unit

NCAA ML STR PLAYS YTD
                    (0-2) -1 unit

NBA STR PLAYS YTD
                    (2-0) +2.5 units

Comment

Oakland looks like they are trying to fight cincinnati for the first pick in next years draft.:bang:
                      a.d.

Comment

That reverse to Johnny Lee Higgins

sums it all up ..

It could be GOOD NIGHT FOR ME .. i was planning on staying up til this one was over, but i don't it's worth it ..
                        Keep em in the hole, Down in the hole

NCAA STR PLAYS YTD
                        (5-6) -1.5

NCAA 3 PICKS PARLAYS YTD
                        (1-1) +1 unit

NCAA ML STR PLAYS YTD
                        (0-2) -1 unit

NBA STR PLAYS YTD
                        (2-0) +2.5 units

Comment

Originally posted by williwonka05 View Post
                          sums it all up ..

It could be GOOD NIGHT FOR ME .. i was planning on staying up til this one was over, but i don't it's worth it ..
                          I'm not that smart.
                          a.d.

Comment

Wow, the Raiders really look like crap.

I'd say "let jamarcus throw" but his receivers are brutal.

Ashley Lelie isn't the answer either. There's a reason why a ton of teams have dropped/pass on him.

I thought the Raiders had their act together and were going to run through the Broncos, who I believe are an avg team this year despite Cutler maturing, but they look like SHEIT.

Their making Denver look GOOD. Should make for a nice inflated Bronco line next week worth fading.

Comment

I still think Vikings was a good play.

passing was not that horrendous, considering who their QB is. there were at least 2 plays that could have been called pass interf on the pack that would have extended drives for the vikings especially that 3rd to last drive with 6 minutes left that clearly was a hold but the pack instead got the ball and Rodgers ran it in for a TD.

that changed the game, the Vikes already had momentum and were looking to close in on the score.

I think Vikings could be a solid play this year, like last year when you have a good D and good Run, you're always in the game. Tavaris Jackson will not be confused for pre 9/7/08 Tom Brady, but he's still young and I saw some good things from him tonight even if he forced a few throws.

lol cant believe i wrote all of that to make myself feel better for taking the Vikes tnight but yeah im gonna roll with that
                              :hide:

"Schooly D is fat cake yo."
                              -Big Pimpin-

Comment

Working...
                              X