Shopping 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping 2008

We kicked our shopping off at the local Kmart as after doing some price comparing they were way cheaper than Fred Meyer's. (Kroger).

We slammed the hot wheels section as they luckily had their 10 pack of cars on sale (1/2 off) for 5 bucks. How can you go wrong with Hot Wheels. Same with Matchbox.

We also grabbed about 35 skateboards, many of which were no more than 12 bucks a pop.

Lastly, we snagged all 7 barrels of lincoln logs they had. Why stores don't carry more lincoln logs is beyond me. They're one of the greatest toys of all time.

We also snagged a bunch of small baseball gloves for little fellas. Figured it'd go nice with the "wall of ball" which we'll get into talking about later.

Oh, and we wiped out the playdoh section. Cheap stuff that gets a lot of mileage.

Wednesday Shopping

My neighbor Russ who helps out each year, got a great idea that he recruit some high school kids to help us. So today, a couple of girls and their mom came to help us. Man did we nail down some shopping. Not only did we finish all of our shopping with all the money we had in the budget, we overspent by a dime (1000 bucks). Future donations for the rest of the toy drive will go against this number and I'll eat the rest as a personal donation.

Having the girls along with us was a great idea. This assures all the little girls in my town that they wont be getting a sling shot or skateboard or basketball as my shopping touch is always a little lopsided and lacking girly stuff. LOL.

These girls shopped like crazy and were really an asset to the toy drive this year. (Jamie and Jesse along with their Mom Shauna.)

We wiped out their basketballs, soccer balls, footballs etc. We should have a nice display for the 2008 wall of ball that I'll be constructing in the garage tomorrow.

We got oodles of dollies, my little pony, more hot wheels with tracks included, easy bake ovens and bratz and barbie stuff.

Again, as always, I cannot even begin to tell you how high spirited the people in the store became when they found out that the train of shopping carts was for local toy donations to the less fortunate. One lady started to cry when she heard and one store employee offerered to work for free bagging stuff for us after she had clocked off because she was struck by the spirit of the whole thing. People were rubbernecking from all the checkout stands asking what was going on and when told, they all had smiles from ear to ear.
    These people really appreciate what you guys make possible.

Getting back to shopping, what we didnt get this year was bicycles and we didnt get nearly as many legos as id have liked to get. In the end though, we had so much stuff that we filled up the 3 vehicles we took down there and actually had to have the store manager store some stuff for us to come back and pickup tomorrow. At least 2 more vans full.

Anyhoo, I'll have a breakdown of all the loot spent and pictures sometime next week. Im going home now, Im frozen to the bone. It's about 25 here and a foot of snow is in the forecast. Gonna go find me a nice minnesota vikings stadium blanket and pass out.

I wanna say something before I go though. I can't thank Flyersfan enough as he was instrumental in cheerleading to generate donations. Each year it seems like a few forum veterans really step up to help us make this toy drive the great event that it is.

I'd also like to give a fat kudos and round of applause to Mike333 who donated around 500 bucks to the cause this year. What a guy. We had some massive donations. Flyersfan kicked in almost 300, we had a handful of other whoppers as well. Its all greatly appreciated. We appreciate the heck out of those that donated 20 bucks as well. It's not about how much you donate, what matters is that you participated and made a difference.

I hope each and every one of you has great inner peace on your Christmas morning. Thanks for donating for the sake of a kid, unlike the one ******* who emailed and said that he wouldnt donate because it was likely that half the recipients were Mexicans. God help that guy. A kid is a kid, period.

Mexicans, Whites, Brothers and Others, MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL.
    Last edited by Kevin; 01-03-2009, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
      I wanna say something before I go though. I can't thank Flyersfan enough as he was instrumental in cheerleading to generate donations. Each year it seems like a few forum veterans really step up to help us make this toy drice the great event that it is.

I'd also like to give a fat kudos and round of applause to Q-Unit who donated around 500 bucks to the cause this year.
      I appreciate the kind words, but I think you gots me confused with mike333, he really stepped it up. aaand he is a jolly good feller. props indeed to FF the head cheerleader and everyone else who donated! :beerbang:

This is a great cause, and I think I speak for everyone saying that we're happy to be a small part of it :thumbs:

I hope each and every one of you has great inner peace on your Christmas morning. Thanks for donating for the sake of a kid, unlike the one ******* who emailed and said that he wouldnt donate because it was likely that half the recipients were Mexicans. God help that guy. A kid is a kid, period.

Mexicans, Whites, Brothers and Others, MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL.
      That Rothko :ohman: his bigotry always ceases to amaze me. This from a man who downs tres tacos on a daily basis and yells "pinata!" after each one... lol
      :hide:

"Schooly D is fat cake yo."
      -Big Pimpin-

Comment

AWESOME JOB KEVIN, ET ALL. I'LL BE SMILING A LITTLE WIDER AND LONGER ON CHRISTMAS DAY. THANKS TO ALL WHO DONATED, AND THANKS TO THOSE THAT WORKED THEIR ASSES OFF TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. WHAT A WAY TO END 2008!! :thumbs:
        YTD
        CFB'09 season(as of 1/7)
        Reg season RESULTS:(-12.98 U's)
        BOWLS
        Sides: 8-21(-20.5 U's)
        O/U's: 2-6(-1.25 U's)
        ML's: 2-6(-0.70 U's)
        RESULTS(-22.45 U's)
        NFL'09 season(as of 1/3)
        SIDES: 59-51-3(-1.3 U's)
        O/U's: 15-19-2(-3.95 U's)
        ML's: 5-13(-2.47 U's)
        2H's: 8-9(-0.65 U'S)
        RESULTS:(-7.67 U's)
        CBB'09-'10 season(as of 1/9)
        SIDES: 109-101-4(-.25 U's)
        O/U'S: 28-16(+6.50 U's)
        ML's 2-3 (+0.2 U's)
        RESULTS:(+6.45 U's)

"I WANT THEIRS!!" fitter, on new health care program

Comment

It's not about how much you donate, what matters is that you participated and made a difference.
          Couldn't agree more.........every single person who gave anything should feel great about making a difference (and if you gamble here every day and didn't give we all know who you are, but enough on that...over and done with). Can't say enough about guys like Bookiekilla, NIU Murph, Moose, Homedawg, Gadfly etc.... and others who gave multiple times, made plays for the kids gambling wise......the random non-poster/site people who stepped forward and kicked in.......and as JML said...people should also do things in their own communities as well. Give to the missions at the holidays for food banks, local toy drives etc......Xmas is about giving to others and it's a message that should be carried throughout the year.

Anyhow.....final hearty way to go to Kevin......this is a great event every year and i think we're all proud to be a part of it.....:beerbang:.......can't wait for the pictures from this year......:beerbang:

thing has admittedly lost a little luster though since Firemarshall Stu retired...:bang:
          Last edited by FlyersFan; 12-19-2008, 02:11 AM.
          I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Working...
          X