Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TENNESSEE @ BALTIMORE Oct 5, 2008 "what happened"

TENNESSEE @ BALTIMORE Oct 5, 2008 "what happened"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tennessee traveled to Baltimore on Oct. 5, 2008 and won 13-10 in a defensive struggle with an 80 yard TD drive in the final minutes of the contest. That 80 yard drive started with 5:57 on the clock at the Tenn. 20 yard line, and after 2 plays with 3rd and 10 facing the Titans, a 15 yard penalty by Baltimore's Terrell Suggs for unnecessary roughness on K. Collins gave the Titans a 1st and 10 at the Tenn 35 yard line. Many say the call was questionable, but nevertheless it allowed Tenn. to continue with 9 more plays to the Balt. 11 yard line, where Collins found A. Crumpler for an 11 yard TD and the winning score. Tennessee never led in that game until that TD drive, and with only 1:56 remaining the game was out of reach as J. Flacco was intercepted by N. Harper two plays later.
    Baltimore led in first downs 22-14, in total yards 285-210 and rushing yards 132-47. Tenn. held a very slight edge of 163-153 in passing yards. Baltimore seemed to have the game well in hand, but that final drive sealed their fate.

Baltimore finished 3rd in the NFL in points allowed (15.3/game) and was second in overall defense (3rd vs the run and 2nd vs the pass). They led the NFL with 34 takeaways, and have not allowed a 100 yard rushing game to any running back in 35 consecutive games.

The Tennessee Titan's defense ranked 7th overall in the NFL (6th vs the rush and 9th vs the pass) and allowed just 14.6 pts/game (2nd in the NFL) and produced 31 takeaways.

One player you can watch for is Ed Reed of the Ravins. In the past 7 games he has accumulated 10 interceptions and 3 defensive TDs. He has produced 2 ints in each of the last 3 consecutive games and has 12 interception returns for TDs in his career. What can be said for him? Well, his coach, John Harbaugh summed it up like this " he's maybe the best player in the game." That is quite an objective complement coming from an NFL coach.

Tennessee will get defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch back for this game, after he was inactive for 6 games with abdominal surgery. Albert Haynesworth, defensive tackle that did not play in the last two games of the Tenn. season, should also be available. He leads the team with 8.5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles. Titan's center Kevin Mawae will be out again, and defensive lineman Dave Ball, who missed the last game of the season, will be out with back problems. He's a good sack man and he'll be missed.

I have a tendency to feel that this game may mirror the game of Oct. 5th. C. Carr and M. Griffin are both very good kickoff, and punt return men. If they continue to be just that, and can give Tennessee the edge in field position, I feel the Titans will win convincingly. On that questionable call against Baltimore, I think it was not the deciding factor in the game. I believe that Tennessee would have scored anyway, just as they did all year long when they really needed it.

Whatever your play in this game "good luck"

"Everybody plays the fool sometimes.....there's no exception to the rule"

Excellent post!

Fading Baltimore this year hasn't gotten me anywhere but I do agree, I think Tennessee wins the game.

I think it will all come down to who turns the ball over less. Tennessee's offense is very conservative and I think that's what wins it for them (along with some nasty d)

Comment

Working...
    X