Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This here NFL Week One!

9-11-2001:

I was a freshman at Drake University, in my Introduction to Journalism and Mass Communication class taught by Robert Woodward... about 20 minutes into the class, the Dean of the school interrupted our class and spoke a few words to my professor. He released us from class and gave us our first paper to write, on the impending disaster and reaction from fellow students and faculty. I remember going back to my dorm and watching the coverage. I'll never forget the soot-covered people running aimlessly from the wreckage. Thank you to the proud Americans, thank you to our troops, and thank you to everyone who makes our country great. :beerbang:

Onto football, with the early games on tap:

I went back-and-forth on PIT/BAL (leaning PIT), DET/TB (leaning DET), and ATL/CHI (leaning ATL), but decided if I couldn't make a decision - I shouldn't be betting them. A couple of notes... PIT/BAL is so up in the air for me, I like PIT's defense of course, and BAL's addition of Lee Evans as a deep threat, but this should be a solid football game to just sit back and watch. I cannot make up my mind. Everyone is on DET this offseason, and they're not going to sneak up on anyone. TB is probably even a little bit underrated this season, and with this matchup... too many question marks to back DET... secondary, front seven besides Suh, Jahvid Best, Matt Stafford... meanwhile you have Freeman and Blount as a solid one-two... though I expect Freeman to regress a little bit this year because he too won't sneak up on anyone. ATL went all-in with Julio, and CHI still hasn't addressed the offensive line. Cutler says he still hasn't gelled with his receivers, and the new kick-off rule takes Hester out of the equation... yet this line hasn't moved much from -3, to -1, to pick'em, to back up. Just confusing, so I'll stay away.

Houston Texans -9 for four units. I hate being so square here, and got a late line from my book with this number, but I simply do not trust the Colts. They have playmakers yes, but they live and die with Manning. He may be the one true "me" in team... I like Houston even without Foster at 100 percent and Houston has slightly addressed their pass defense. Lots of chalk, but confident.

St. Louis Rams +4 for four units. Really? Philadelphia is crowned (by me as well) as the new Dream Team, make some superb additions on defense with Asomugha, Babin, Jenkins, and yet are only four-point faves? I think the Rams keep it close with Bradford spreading the Eagles out, new OC Josh McDaniels also pounding Steven Jackson and Jerious Norwood, and DC blitzing Vick. Here's to hoping this doesn't look like a crappy bet!

That's it for the early games for me. :thumbs:
    NFL 17: 45-47-2 // 48.91% // -10.12
    MMA: 247-332-2 // 42.66% // -6.04
    MLB 17: 151-140-8 // 51.89% // +5.65 ROR // +42.13
    NCAAF 17: 63-49-2 // 56.25% // +6.80
    Updated on 01/13/18
    ---
    One of my 2018 resolutions: no more action gambling.

Late games:

Washington Redskins +3 for four units. This is a confusing bet for myself, because I'd normally play on the experienced QB on the road with a good running game versus a below-average QB and questionable running game... but I'm going the other way. I like Hightower and Helu this week because the Giants are ripped up on defense. That Thomas injury hurts them a lot, as their thin secondary gets even moreso. Eli throws a couple of picks here in an ugly game, and the Skins get the 20-17 win.

Carolina Panthers +7 for four units. Everyone and everyone fading new HC Rivera, and new rookie QB Newton, and that spells a recipe for disaster, right? Maybe. I think Panthers key on Fitzgerald, and beyond that you have a ton of unproven WRs... Andre Roberts, Stephen Williams, Early Doucet. Arizona will get frustrated quickly and hand off to Beanie Wells, slowing this game down. I just think this is way too big of a number to lay with an unproven offense and a soft defense. Rivera will have Newton hand the ball off and mix in some play action to Steve Smith and Greg Olson. FWIW, I like the unders here as well, but traditionally struggle at NFL totals.

San Diego Chargers -9 for four units. Another big chalk toss here. The Vikings are something like 2-13 ATS vs AFC opponents on the road, and I fully expect the Chargers to roll here. Vikes are very weak on the defensive line with Kevin Williams out, and they have a bad LB corps. Erin Henderson starting? Me thinks Antonio Gates tears him up, and Ryan Mathews is able to run up the middle. Tall Vincent Jackson and Malcolm Floyd should have a field-day against the Vikings smaller corners and safeties. You key in on AP, and get to McNabb, and the traditionally slow-starting Chargers get 2011 off to the right start.

Best of luck fellas. :thumbs:
    Updated on 01/13/18
    ---

Comment

GL to ya! "Let's Roll".....:flag:
      Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

MNF:

Miami Dolphins +8
        for four units. Every year we have the Pats @ Miami as a square, public bet. Every time the Pats play on MNF, they're a square bet. With everything that has happened this weekend (Buffalo, Chicago, collapse by Dallas, Minnesota covering), I'm looking for the Dolphins to keep it close here.
        Updated on 01/13/18
        ---

Comment

Originally posted by akatdrake View Post
          MNF:

Miami Dolphins +8
          for four units. Every year we have the Pats @ Miami as a square, public bet. Every time the Pats play on MNF, they're a square bet. With everything that has happened this weekend (Buffalo, Chicago, collapse by Dallas, Minnesota covering), I'm looking for the Dolphins to keep it close here.
          With you on this one as I do think Miami will keep it close as well. Divisional rivalry, home field, MNF, etc. You name it, pick whatever angle you would like, but I see a three-six point New England win here and a lot of points scored.
          GL to you!

Comment

Working...
          X