This here NFL Week Seven!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This here NFL Week Seven!

Not having a good year in foots... very up and down, so take these picks and fade away. Just want to help out in the forum more coming up. Will be active in the discussion as well.

Early games:

Carolina -1 over the Redskins - you get the feeling Cam Newton is going to put it all together one of these weeks, don't you? Redskins change quarterbacks and now John Beck is getting his first start in four years. Redskins lost starting LG for the year, and could be without starting LT for a couple of weeks as well. Maybe Charles Johnson can live up to the huge contract he signed? The Panthers RBs is getting it going with Newton getting his carries, and Stewart and Williams alternating as the go-to back weekly. Steve Smith and DeAngelo Hall's longstanding feud seems to be over, but Smith enjoying a resurgent career. Carolina getting 70+ percent of the publics bets, but unlike Vegas moving the line to -3 with juice, I'm enjoying the -1.

San Diego -1 at the New York Jets - the Chargers are getting healthier, and off a bye. The Jets coming off a lackluster (win) performance vs the Dolphins on MNF. Mathews emerging as the go-to back, and you have to think Rivers might be targeting former-teammate Cromartie as he can be beaten deep. Don't think he'll be going against Revis like Matt Moore did last week. Jets struggling getting anything going on the ground or in the air... their OL is not performing outside of Nick Mangold. Even D'Brickshaw Ferguson isn't as reliable as he has been before.

Denver -1 at the Miami Dolphins - this is based on the Tim Tebow factor. As I have said all week, the guy just knows how to win. He's such a polarizing figure, but he gets his team ready to play week-in and week-out. It's awesome as a fan to watch athletes who are as passionate as he is. I think too many people are making a big deal of Brandon Lloyd being traded... the guy had one good year in a spread-em-out offense, but has regressed this year (or maybe gone back to normal?). With Fox preaching the running game, and Willis McGahee surprising people this year, Eric Decker enjoying a good year, I think the Lloyd trade won't affect the team much. What do you say about the Dolphins - might they actually be sucking for Luck? They cannot figure out how to effectively use Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas, and Brandon Marshall is their only receiving weapon. They have a porous secondary, and Cameron Wake has regressed this year as well.

Tampa Bay -1 in London, "hosting" the Chicago Bears - Don't let last week's victory over the hapless Vikes alter your judgment of the Bears. The OL is bad, and the defense is old. The Bears are distracted with contract talks and trade requests (Briggs). In what should be a fun traveling week, has instead become a distracting week with travel. Make sense? Tampa however, left Monday morning for London - having learned last year that arriving on Friday just doesn't work with the vast time difference. Tampa tackle Donald Penn, "I slept all day Saturday the last time I was there. I was tired... it took a lot out of me the last time. It's a big time adjustment. I'm real happy about how we're doing it this year." Tampa got rocked by New England that year. Last year the Niners arrived early and Denver arrived late ... Niners won. Bucs have been having fun, sight-seeing, visiting schools on an extended field-trip, while the Bears have just arrived and faced a bunch of distractions.

All for four units.
    Last edited by akatdrake; 10-23-2011, 05:48 AM.
    NFL 17: 45-47-2 // 48.91% // -10.12
    MMA: 247-332-2 // 42.66% // -6.04
    MLB 17: 151-140-8 // 51.89% // +5.65 ROR // +42.13
    NCAAF 17: 63-49-2 // 56.25% // +6.80
    Updated on 01/13/18
    ---
    One of my 2018 resolutions: no more action gambling.

Late games:

Green Bay -9 at the Minnesota Vikings - Again another game I am very high on. Big number in a typically close matchup. I'm a huge Vikings fan, so I may be down on the Vikes moreso than others, but I do not see how the Vikings cover this game. There are several factors:

1) Christian Ponder gets his first NFL start. All of his action last week was versus a team who was up 29 points, and playing mostly a soft cover-2. The Bears blitzed a few times, and though Ponder is quick, he was quick to get out of the pocket. The GB 3-4 defense is not the Bears cover-2.

2) Green Bay's spread offense vs the depleted Vikings secondary. Already hurting with Antoine Winfield and Jamerica Sanford out, the Vikings' Chris Cook was jailed and will not play tomorrow. This means Mistral Raymond will see action for the first time in his career. Asher Allen and Cedric Griffin are not good cornerbacks, Tyrell Johnson and Husein Abdullah are below-average safeties. Marcus Sherels will get more action on the defensive side of the ball, and though he's shown flashes in the pre-season, is very raw.

3) Line vs line... Jared Allen having a career and Marshall Newhouse is a LT dealing with family issues. He was excused from practice on Friday and his mind might not be in the game. Not a good combination vs the league leader in sacks. However, that's the lone bright spot of the Vikings line. Brian Robison was given an extension, and Ray Edwards let go, but has not produced. Kevin Williams has regressed without Pat Williams. The LB corps hasn't been making plays as well, and desperately miss Ben Leber's leadership.

Reverse sides, and you have a banged up Minnesota OL as well. John Sullivan will be out, and Joe Berger (I didn't even know who he was) will have his hands full with BJ Raji. Phil Loadholt will have a fit with Clay Mathews as he struggles with smaller quicker rushers. Green Bay will need to blitz their linebackers and confuse Ponder because their secondary is injured and depleted as well.
    Updated on 01/13/18
    ---

Comment

The Vikings have to get AP going, but that's typical week to week. As a Vikings fan, I'd like to see them get the ball to Percy Harvin more throughout the game... Musgrave usually has that notion early on, but without the execution, that falls to the wayside later in the second half. Kyle Rudolph and Visanthe Shaincoe will have to make plays vs the rush of the Packers as well.

If the Vikes do not get a rush, ARod will tear this secondary apart. The GB receivers are quick as a lick and the Metrodome is their home-away-from-home. You'll have as many Packers fans at the dome as Vikings fans.

PS- bet is for four units.
      Updated on 01/13/18
      ---

Comment

i like the S.D. pick but i didn,t play it b.o.l. Drake .

Comment

good luck this week Drake nice write ups :beerbang:
          NFL 8-5 + 5.97

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Comment

GL drake, think I saw similar writeups elsewhere but good writeups nonetheless
            Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends...

Comment

Like all the early plays but pared down my picks and only the Bucs made the cut. GL today AK! Shoot 'em down bro.
              Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

Thanks fellas. Udog - I stole the Tampa write-up from some place else but other than that, I just need the time to put in to the games. I added that stupidly and it wasn't my bet. Certainly have to take a look at those from now on.

Nice little comeback by the Broncos, but I was way off on the Vikes game. GB didn't get the pressure I thought they would, even though they forced Ponder to throw nearly double the incompletions as completions. Oh well, not a big deal.
                Updated on 01/13/18
                ---

Comment

Working...
                X