NHLRS Thursday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHLRS Thursday

been a very nice last week (knock on wood).........and now a huge freeking card tonight and i really only see 1 game i like, and once again it involves my PHI.....

NJD -135................where do i start. PHI playing 3I4 and BB and all vs. "rivalry" opponents and probably their 3 biggest (much like the Rangers situation the other night). They will have played the Rangers, Penguins and now Devils in a 4 night span. Not to mention they won what i believe was a "circled" game for them Wednesday vs. the Penguins who they had dropped all 8 meetings to last year and some in blowout fashion. Not easy to get up for 3 games like that in a 4 night span all in the opponents buildings. This is also the last game of an 8 game road trip and this is traditionally a horrendous spot for teams playing that long away from home. NJD also dropped one to PHI 4-0 this year and i am sure they have that on board upstairs. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nittymaki for PHI either. PHI has another game on Saturday vs. Pittsburgh and i can't seem them playing him 4 times in 6 nights. The logical time to rest him would be tonight vs. NJD in a BB situation, although Nittymaki's numbers (0-3-3 3.40 GAA L6) vs. NJD may say otherwise. This is more a fade of PHI than a play on NJD, but i am playing the spot none the less and i do like NJD in a typical PHI/NJD game. I have been pretty bang on with PHI this year when i have played on them or against them. Tonight it pains me to go against them but i will. I would be impressed as a fan, though, to see them win because i think this is about as tough a spot as you can get during a season to play a game. PHI is just 5-23 on the road vs. NJD (granted that was in the old building) since 1997 and 0-6-2 L8 on the road in NJD.

only other game i was possiblly looking at was CAL. would like to hear flmrrz thoughts on that one or anyone else who follows those 2 teams closely.

GL to everyone!
    Last edited by FlyersFan; 11-08-2007, 03:02 AM.
    I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Can't find any updates on PHI goalie situation for today...

i did have to laugh....every paper in the PHI area has an article today on Lindross and how he didn't live up to the hype....."lindros era fell short of its promise", "lindros legacy can't be called a great one", "tragic hero lindros didn't live up to the hype", "lindros legacy: another savior who didn't save"............lol...headlines all from different area papers....

Comment

Funny....all the stories on Lindros in Canada are not about a bust, but are regarding if he should make the Hall of Fame. Some notable yesses...Bob Mackenzie on TSN, probably the top hockey media man....Mark Messier ("Lindros defined the modern day player"), Bobby Clarke (even after all the fights he says yes on TSN last night!). He was a dominant force between 94-2000. He changed the game...but injuries cut his career short, much like Cam Neely. It's too bad.

I think the Philly papers are being a bit harsh. yes, he didn't win Philly a cup...but maybe that had more to do with Clarke refusing for years to get a top goalie for a cup run. Eric took the team on his shoulders that cup final year, scored 26 points in 19 games leading the playoffs....but they ran into the great red Wing team, and lost.

Lindros also won the Hart, was a 6 time allstar. He was also one of the best Canadian International players ever, winning several Junior titles, Gold and Silver Olympic medals, and Canada Cup win as an 18 year old playing with 99 & 66. Unfortunately he was a marked man, because he was the prime example of a new power forward, so if some young kid coming up was to make a name for himself....a good way to do it was taking out Eric. Add in all those shots he took to the head, and his career is cut way too short. Too bad...he was fun to watch in his prime....probably one of the 5 most exciting players I have ever seen play (in their prime).

Looks like he is going to work for the NHLPA....

Comment

you know PHI papers are going to rail anyone......eagles fans booed santa claus...lol. I think there was and still is a lot of frustration from that "era" of PHI hockey which closed with the horrible 3-1 NJD series collapse where Lindros got nailed by Stevens. PHI was really bad in between their cup runs in the middle late 80's and then until the '94/'95 time frame. So there was a lot of hype and a lot of hope that went into those PHI teams and they never got it done. I agree on the goaltending. I think you could say the same about PHI defense.....the Red Wings skated around them in that '97 series like they were orange traffic cones, and Clarke did nothing to address that problem. Lindros was the face of that era in PHI hockey and the face of an era on a sports team either gets too much glory or too much heat depending on how things turned out. Just the way it is in sports.
        Last edited by FlyersFan; 11-08-2007, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Re: Calgary and Vancouver. Given their current form I couldnt back Calgary at the price thats being offered right now. Flames look brutal and Phaneufs banged up, sounds like he'll play which kept me off the game but he wont be anywhere near 100%. That hurts them in transition, pp and pk. Canucks have been good on the road this year and looked impressive getting back to basics against the avs. Vancouvers had the long layoff so the d should have the legs to handle the flames forecheck. Kipper has looked awful and their pk is an absolute joke right now. Flames could very well win but at -160 the price isnt worth finding out imo. I dont trust them enough to risk going the -.5 route either and winning by 2 over Luongo? doubt it. Canucks are the value so it's them or nothing for me, so probably nothing for me unless I hear more info telling me Phaneuf looks really bad or isnt going. Just my take

GL tonight, riding the devils tonight as well.

Comment

flmrrz- THX!...yeah, the price is what kept me off the game, but i thought the line was really fishy which is why i debated playing it. VAN doesn't score much and Luongo hasn't been any great shakes either at 2.93 which is pretty close to kipper's 3.15. The only real thing that worries me is Mike Keenan is CAL coach. That guy hasn't had a successful coaching stint in ages and why people hire that guy is beyond me. He rubs players the wrong way and team after team has quit on him, and i am wondering if CAL players are sending a message to management that they don't like him or his style and they aren't going to play hard for him.
            Last edited by FlyersFan; 11-08-2007, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I'm heading to "The Rock" for the game tonight. Will be my first sojourn. Got my beers for the train, my plain clothes (I own no Devils gear), and am pretty excited to see the new home.

I hope WE win tonight... :laughing:

Wait, what? I'm going to the game so I payed money so I can say WE!!!!! :puke:

I'll spare you FF and not tail this play because I can't remember the last time I've been to a game that I bet on where they team actually covered/won. It's a pretty incredible streak actually.

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
                I'm heading to "The Rock" for the game tonight. Will be my first sojourn. Got my beers for the train, my plain clothes (I own no Devils gear), and am pretty excited to see the new home.

according to barry melrose, you have a 50/50 shot of leaving newark with your wallet after the game.....:laughing: .....newark mayor is all upset about that comment.....:laughing: ........travel in bunches tonight cuse.....:beerbang:

Comment

Good luck today FF

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                    according to barry melrose, you have a 50/50 shot of leaving newark with your wallet after the game.....:laughing: .....newark mayor is all upset about that comment.....:laughing: ........travel in bunches tonight cuse.....:beerbang:
                    Yea, it's a lovely city. Carjacking capital of the world for years. :thumbs: Only Trenton is worse. It's a war zone.

Comment

gsad- THX!......

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                        flmrrz- THX!...yeah, the price is what kept me off the game, but i thought the line was really fishy which is why i debated playing it. VAN doesn't score much and Luongo hasn't been any great shakes either at 2.93 which is pretty close to kipper's 3.15. The only real thing that worries me is Mike Keenan is CAL coach. That guy hasn't had a successful coaching stint in ages and why people hire that guy is beyond me. He rubs players the wrong way and team after team has quit on him, and i am wondering if CAL players are sending a message to management that they don't like him or his style and they aren't going to play hard for him.
                        Luongo has turned it on as of late, 1 bad game vs the preds but really he's been good in 5 of his last 6. A couple of those nights he was about the only guy showing up. I think he's turned the corner where Kipper still looks like crap. His numbers vs his current form is a bit misleading. Keenan is a horrible coach, I lit up when I saw they hired him. Thankfully sutter is soooo prehistoric in his thinking that hiring someone who might be a breath of fresh air, a guy who could inspire his players instead of alienating them never crossed his mind.

Comment

GL tonight FF, and last night was an aberration and 7/8 will likely be the scenario for the Pens/Flyers series this year :beerbang:

Comment

wow.....3-1 NJD E1st and it wasn't that close......Gagne out for PHI tonight which isn't helping them (or my fantasy team....:bang: ...and no spezza either....)

i think i heard Cusefan cheering....it was either him or the other Devil fan in the building.....:laughing: ....what a joke that giant SECTIONS of seats down low are empty for a Thursday night PHI/NJD game. If they don't go see PHI, who are they going to go see?......franchise's fans are a J-O-K-E.....

Comment

Pens game isn't going much better, getting out-shot 22-6 in the first is never a good thing, yet some people(even here at Predictem) blame Marc Andre Fleury for any defensive woes the Pens have. I actually heard a guy calling for Sabourin to be the #1 goalie......

Comment

Working...
                              X