• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last game at Yankee Stadium?

Report: NHL eyes Yankee Stadium game

TSN.ca Staff
    3/10/2008 12:17:23 PM

The NHL, New York Rangers and New York Yankees are closing in on a deal that would see an outdoor hockey game played at Yankee Stadium in 2009, reports the New York Daily News.

With the success of the Winter Classic between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Buffalo Sabres this past January, the NHL has been looking into the possibility of holding more outdoor games. Since the Yankees will be moving into a new stadium in 2009, the proposed hockey game would be the final sporting event held at old Yankee Stadium.

"It's something we've spoken both to the Yankees and to the city about but it's not a done deal," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the Daily News. "There are still other possibilities and a lot of moving pieces."

The newspaper went on to report that the New York Islanders and New Jersey Devils would not be the first choice as the Rangers opponents for the game. It is believed the league and their broadcast partner, NBC, would be looking for a team from another U.S. television market.

Rangers/Flyers matchup would be the best for NBC, IMO...

Comment

Anaheim! Get west and east. :p

Comment

Anaheim? lmao....yeah, that diehard hockey market would really bring in the ratings :laughing:

From what I read it's a done deal....Yankee Stadium, next New Years Day, Rangers vs Red Wings... :beerbang:

Comment

I was gonna say the most obvious choice is Detroit, not Philadelphia.

Comment

There should be an anual game outdoors between 2 original 6 teams:thumbs:

I just think New Years Day is a bad idea. If it indeed is the Red Wings this year it should be allright cause I don't see Michigan in a New Years Day bowl game, but if they were the hockey game would lose a whole lot of viewers.

Comment

There's talk that it will become a yearly thing, so all the major East Coast cities will get their chance, eventually. Word is Wrigley Field and Fenway Park are up next (NHL are said to prefer baseball parks for more intimacy).

As for Jan 1st...the NHL and NBC are very happy with that date, and it will not change. They want that day to become synonymous with the Outdoor Classic. **** CFB...these days there about 5 weeks of bowl games anyway...it's not like that one day is only football. (But I agree Larry...if that certain years NHL team has their closest CFB team land in a New Years Day Bowl...that would be bad luck, and would cost ratings for sure!)

The idea's come along way since FF predicted it would get less than 4000 fans, and receive horrible ratings. It got the highest NHL ratings in 15 years, and sold out the 70,000 stadium in a day...and will now become a part of every NHL season, IMO. :thumbs:
              Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 03-12-2008, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
                The idea's come along way since FF predicted it would get less than 4000 fans, and receive horrible ratings. It got the highest NHL ratings in 15 years, and sold out the 70,000 stadium in a day...and will now become a part of every NHL season, IMO. :thumbs:
                I think the snow storm that hit Buffalo on New Years Day, helped the ratings, and I also think the oddity of the outdoor game will fade on the average fan. I still think the game will always sell out, I just don't think the ratings will stay high.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
                  I think the snow storm that hit Buffalo on New Years Day, helped the ratings, and I also think the oddity of the outdoor game will fade on the average fan. I still think the game will always sell out, I just don't think the ratings will stay high.
                  You're probably right...but having it become a yearly "event", like the NBA allstar game or MLB opening day is what they are hoping for....AND having new teams/markets and different classic stadiums hosting the event might help keep interest high every year. If there's a hockey game played at historical Wrigley field....I bet Harry Carey himself will manage to tune into NBC that day...
                  Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 03-12-2008, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
                    You're probably right...but having it become a yearly "event", like the NBA allstar game or MLB opening day is what they are hoping for...
                    It's not an "event" come on... 9/10th's of this country doesn't even know it was played. Let's get real. Was it a success, sure. But and "event", not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
                      It's not an "event" come on... 9/10th's of this country doesn't even know it was played. Let's get real. Was it a success, sure. But and "event", not even close.
                      LOL...Cuse, I never said the Buffalo game was some kind of earth-shattering "event". Never implied it either.
                      Re-read. I said "having it become a yearly event like..."

I meant the NHL is trying to get it to become at least recognizable to the average fan after years of holding it the same day, and the same style, in non-traditional stadiums. Every year. AKA "yearly event". To where it is recognizable to people when they see it advertised every year be like "oh yeah, that crazy outdoor ice-hockey thingy on New years day". We're talking baby-steps here. Carve out some kind of small niche in sports fans minds with a yearly "special" game. I think it's a good idea. Any extra press or talk for the NHL is a good thing in their minds. Yeah...maybe the Buffalo game wasn't known by 2/3 the country (9/10ths is a ridiculous number), but you think after years and years of playing this "unique" game in hallowed places like Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium, that it won't be a known entity by most of the country? It sure as hell will be...and even if most don't watch it, they'll know about it, and that's probably good enough for the NHL.

It's no South-Central Arkansas State basketball game, but it's something...lol...
                      Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 03-12-2008, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X