Fantasy Hockey Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy Hockey Question

Ok, so me and my roommate and I acquired a team in a 10 team keeper league for money where we can keep up to 8 players. I was wondering who you guys think we should keep. Scoring is based on goals, assists, shots, PIMs, plus-minus and the standard goalie cats. We start 2 goalies, 6 centers/wings/defensemen.

Our goalies are Fleury, Price, and Huet.

Centers - Crosby, Backstrom, Cogliano, Ribeiro, Forsberg, MacDonald, J Staal, Marleau, Statsny

Wings - Hejduk, A Kostitsyn, Afinigenov, Avery

Def- Liles, Boucher, J Johnson, E Johnson, Souray, Weber, Salo

We are obviously keeping: Crosby, Backstrom, Statsny, Fleury, and Price so we need three more. We are asking other league members if it's worth it to keep three goalies and how many defensemen each team usually keeps to try to get a gauge on what the league norms are since we've never done this for hockey. Our other three spots come down to Marleau, Kostitsyn, Huet, Ribeiro, Souray, Liles or Weber.

I'm thinking Ribeiro and Kostitsyn have to be kept and then maybe one defensemen or Huet for insurance? Marleau is good too though. We have the 4th pick so chances are we will get one of the guys we drop (or someone better) right back.

Thoughts?

mlehhhhhh.....kind of a bunch of the same guys. my theory on a keeper league is a guy only matters to keep if he is heads and shoulders better than someone else and will be for a long time....or a guy is young and will be a superstar. kostitsyn is OK....keep in mind he is playing on a team that shares the wealth. As far as your D-men you have a bunch of guys who are good hockey players but not great fantasy players, IMO. Souray is probably the best of the bunch when it comes to scoring, PP etc and Weber is a decent play as well....the rest of them are pedestrian at best IMO.........honestly i don't like any of your wings in the keeper category. I would probably keep a 2nd goalie along with Souray and Marleau. Word has it that Marleau is going to be playing wing along with Thornton this year and that should give you Wing eligibility.

just my 2 cents....good luck.
    Last edited by FlyersFan; 09-28-2008, 05:07 PM.
    I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Goalie - Fleury, Price

Centers - Crosby, Backstrom, Statsny, Ribeiro

Wings - A Kostitsyn

Def - Weber

9th place: Staal

Kostitsyn for sure...he'll be a yearly 35-40 goal man...I expect a breakout for him this year and beyond. Your centres are a no-brainers...4 guys with youth and big upside. You only really need 2 goalies in a keeper league, go with the 2 younger guys playing on cup potential teams. Your defence blows, but I would take Weber over Souray. He is 9 years younger, has alot better plus/minus history (Souray is a pilon), and did score 17 goals two years ago before a freak injury de-railed him last year. I would stay far, far away from Marleau..espcially in a keeper league! The guy is on a steady career decline, has a soft reputation, and is already 30 years old. I would take Stall over him in a second...way more upside and youth.

GL!

I would love to get in a keeper league...been looking for a few years...if anyone knows of a credible one with an opening, let me know!
      Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 09-29-2008, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Marleau is supposedly playing on the same line with Thornton though this year so we are going to keep him and hope he qualifies at wing is the plan right now i think. We aren't keeping any defenseman because we did some research and really only the Top 7-8 guys are kept. Its not worth dumping an offensive player who can score 70 points we think.

What do you guys think of this Stamkos kid? My partner wants to draft him 4th overall if he's there. Keep in mind will will have Stamkos for three years minimum and most likely six unless he's a huge bust.

Also keep in mind that 4th overall sounds ludicrous but 80 players are kept. The only two studs available are Kovalchuk and Gaborik.
        Last edited by CuseFan10; 09-29-2008, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Draft Stamkos. He will be top 10 in scoring by year 3.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
            Draft Stamkos. He will be top 10 in scoring by year 3.
            We're gonna if he's there. Not sure he will be though.

Comment

yeah so much of the keeper league depends on how long you plan on being around and how many teams are in the league. Honestly, outside of the top 10 D-men or so in the league there isn't anyone worth keeping. I picked up Mike Green and Tobias Enstrom in our league a month into the season last year. You can always find pickups on defense. And unless you get like a lidstrom or boyle or someone like that......not worth it.

I agree on taking stamkos if he's there if you are in it for the long run. and i am a marleau guy and i think it's worth a flyer on him. If he plays with Thornton that is huge for his fantasy value. And lets face it, he and Ron Wilson didn't like one another and it affected his play on the ice. He is supposedly friends with this coach going way back and i wouldn't be surprised to see him have a couple of great seasons (80+ points), especially on the PP if boyle stays healthy and he can get something going with that PP unit. It's not his speed that has gone or his skill.....it was his intensity and desire and that is remedied IMO with the new coach and shake up. I know JML isn't high on the SAN but i am and i like their team. And as i said Kostitsyn...OK...but i still think MON is a share the wealth team that ends up with a whole bunch of 65 point guys at the end of the season.

sounds like you've got it handled, though, cuse.......:thumbs:

Comment

Ok, more help please. With the return of Sakic, my partner now wants to keep him over Kostitsyn. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
                  Ok, more help please. With the return of Sakic, my partner now wants to keep him over Kostitsyn. Thoughts?
                  In a fking keeper league?........:dunno: :dunno:

cuse- here is a thought....keep both sakic and kostitsyn and dump your partner.

seriously, sakic is like 38 years old and is on the last legs of a great career. he's had all kinds of injury problems the past 2 years and has maybe one more good year in him that being this one. that is just the stupidest thing that ever may have been mentioned in this forum at any point......:beerbang: ....tell your buddy to put down the cool aid.

he admitted in an interview that he has no idea if his body can stand up to a full season anymore and he's had problems the past 2 years. he signed a 1 year deal and if you're lucky he might play 1 more season after this. and you're going to keep that going forward over a minimum 60 point a year guy and a probable yearly 25-35 goal scorer who is young and playing on a team that should be good for some time to come?

im sure JML will put his 2 cents in but if he says keep sakic im done tailing his plays.....:laughing:
                  Last edited by FlyersFan; 10-02-2008, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Keep Sakic over Kostitsyn....he's the better player.
                    Then Pick Gordie Howe over Crosby, Larry Robinson over Weber, and Ken Dryden over Fluery.

You should be set. :thumbs:

:laughing:

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
                      Keep Sakic over Kostitsyn....he's the better player.
                      Then Pick Gordie Howe over Crosby, Larry Robinson over Weber, and Ken Dryden over Fluery.

You should be set. :thumbs:

:laughing:
                      :laughing: :laughing:

Comment

So here's how the draft went

Our keepers were as stated above and the first 3 picks went as planned: Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Gomez. We picked 4th and took Pominville over Stamkos because we decided to play for this year even though it's a keeper league. Reason was because the guy who's team we inherited had 5 of the 10 4th round picks and other picks stockpiled. Why he left, we don't know, but he did. Anyway... Cammalieri went 5th and Kariya went 6th (who knows why?) and the guy with the 7th pick offered to trade it so we jumped on it. We gave him our 1st rounder next year and one of our 4th rounders (which was originally his) and we took Stamkos 7th overall. The draft crop has a few studs in it next year so hopefully we don't regret it, but we wanted the kid and we did what we had to. The rest of our draft went:

2nd- Horcoff
                        3rd- Hartnell
                        4th- Coburn
                        4th- Visnovsky
                        4th- Bieksa
                        4th- Koivu, M
                        5th- Kronwall
                        6th- Sturm
                        7th- Timonen
                        8th- Huet
                        9th- Meszaros
                        10th- Bouchard, PM
                        10th- Bernier
                        11th- Rivet
                        12th- Svatos

At that point we were done, but there were 4 rounds left or something so we explored trades to try to acquire picks for losing the 1st rounder next year. We ended up trading Mezsaros for a 6th rounder next year (we drafted him in the 9th) and took Kuba to replace him. We also traded Sturm for another 6th rounder next year and drafted Lang to replace him. Thought was that we weren't losing much, if anything, and the 6th round next year could be our "Defense type" round where we load up.

What do you guys think about how we did?

Comment

love MKoivu especially if he can actually stay healthy and is playing with gaborik. but he is usually good for about 30-40 games lost/year due to the sniffles etc.....like Horcoff a lot.....looks pretty solid....especially if your late rounder svatos can find the net again like he did 2 years ago....Sturm could be a sleeper this year if he can get it going with what's his name the concussion guy in Boston. Visnovsky is solid....looks pretty decent.......got some young guys in there too......

but dude....WTF with keeping Sakic....:dunno:....:dunno:....that is beyond moronic and trumps anything good you did on the stupidity meter.........

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                            but dude....WTF with keeping Sakic....:dunno:....:dunno:....that is beyond moronic and trumps anything good you did on the stupidity meter.........

Uuuummm, we didn't keep Sakic, FF. :dunno:

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
                              Uuuummm, we didn't keep Sakic, FF. :dunno:
                              lol...you said your keepers were from above so i figured you were liking sakic and kept him...

in that case, carry on Cuse.....:beerbang:...nice draft.....:thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                              X