NHL Opening Day Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL Opening Day Discussion Thread

would like to get a daily thread started by somebody each day. just for tossing out ideas more than anything....

haven't decided on official plays yet but leaning very heavily to playing CAL +115 and possibly SAN -145 and the PL with DET at -105.....

just starting to look at the 4 games and haven't looked at any totals yet....may tread very lightly to start the season
    I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Watching the TSN 2 hour preview show! :thumbs:

First two weeks are very tough as we all know.

Surprised to see you on Detroit, as we were supposed to stay away from big faves. And maybe we should...but this could be best against worst, in the Detroit home opener, after a cup, in a season opener....I expect the Wings to come out flying with all those studs up front, and the veteran players....and I expect the YOUNG Leafs squad to fold in a situation like that. Tell me it's not in their heads, that they are facing the Wings in that situation. The Leafs forwards are really mostly an AHL squad. Take away middling NHLers Antropov, Blake, Steen, Hagman & Stajan, and that forward lineup is the Toronto Marlies. Toronto's defence is a little better, but Kubina and Finger are banged up, and facing that deep Detroit lineup, you need everyone of the back-end to be ready, and a quality player.

I'll be on the Bos/Col Over. I'm not sold on Budaj or Thomas, and I think both teams can score. Boston has two solid scoring lines, and Colorado, healthy to start the year can score too. For some reason I see some goals there.

I like the Flames. To dog them, even in Vancouver is not right. They are the much better team, and should draw a pickem on the road against the Canucks at least. Who is going to score for Vancouver after the Sedin sisters line? Expect them to see alot of Keenan's checking line, and expect monster years for Iginla, Phaneuf and Cammalleri starting in game 1. Luongo as always is a gamestopper however.

Like the Ducks. Two good teams. One favoured more than I thought. I'll take the one with Pronger and Niedermayer starting the year together. Expect a huge year from Perry/Getzlaf.

NHL's back :beerbang: :beerbang:

Comment

Looking at the Leafs/Wings over. The Wings will be skating circles around those guys...

I'm not surprised both of you like Calgary. Seems to be the general consensus...but I don't buy it. They are seriously overrated while the Canucks are underrated in my mind. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Flames miss the playoffs this year...especially if they get into injury trouble (something that hasn't plagued them at all over the last couple years). I'll probably be on the Nuckers.

Comment

Wow..I disagree, Ang. I really like the FLames this year. But, hey...and Oilers fan dogging the rival? Not surprising. lol. I think Kipper has a very good year bouncing back from an average year. They have the best offensive defenceman in the league, one of the top scorers, and some good stay at home defence. The second line will get a boost with Cammellari and Lombardi having good years, and I think they got a bit grittier this year.

As for Vancouver...I don't see it....who scores? They couldn't score last year worth a ****, and did nothing to fix it, missing out on Sundin. Teams will be all over the Sedins line, so guys like Demitra and Wellwood are going to provide secondary scoring? No way, Demitra's on the downside and really the only top line talent. Wellwoods a fat lazy bassard, and everyone else on the forward lines are role players with 3rd line talent at best. They have an OK/good defence and great goaltending, but it won't be enough.

Maybe an under tomorrow in this game? :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
          Wow..I disagree, Ang. I really like the FLames this year. But, hey...and Oilers fan dogging the rival? Not surprising. lol. I think Kipper has a very good year bouncing back from an average year. They have the best offensive defenceman in the league, one of the top scorers, and some good stay at home defence. The second line will get a boost with Cammellari and Lombardi having good years, and I think they got a bit grittier this year.

As for Vancouver...I don't see it....who scores? They couldn't score last year worth a ****, and did nothing to fix it, missing out on Sundin. Teams will be all over the Sedins line, so guys like Demitra and Wellwood are going to provide secondary scoring? No way, Demitra's on the downside and really the only top line talent. Wellwoods a fat lazy bassard, and everyone else on the forward lines are role players with 3rd line talent at best. They have an OK/good defence and great goaltending, but it won't be enough.

Maybe an under tomorrow in this game? :thumbs:
          You'll see. You'll all see! :thumbs:

Vancouver had tonnes of injuries last year. Calgary had zero. If that evens out this year, I just may be proven right.

Not sure about the under...it's set at 5 and Kipper didn't exactly look awesome in the preseason...

Comment

Originally posted by Angelus View Post
            Looking at the Leafs/Wings over. The Wings will be skating circles around those guys...
            True...but a 4-1, 5-0 game wouldn't surprise me....I think the PL is safer. Over's definitely the total play though!!

Comment

I'm not surprised both of you like Calgary. Seems to be the general consensus...but I don't buy it. They are seriously overrated while the Canucks are underrated in my mind. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Flames miss the playoffs this year...especially if they get into injury trouble (something that hasn't plagued them at all over the last couple years). I'll probably be on the Nuckers.
              im not seeing this VAN thing. they are lucky to slide into the 8th spot and it would probably be at the expense of MIN, COL or your OilCan IMO. Not quite sure what VAN has on offense to put the puck in the net. They won't trade any of their 200,000 good defensemen to get a scorer. Going to be the SOS with them this year.....Sedins or bust.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                im not seeing this VAN thing. they are lucky to slide into the 8th spot and it would probably be at the expense of MIN, COL or your OilCan IMO. Not quite sure what VAN has on offense to put the puck in the net. They won't trade any of their 200,000 good defensemen to get a scorer. Going to be the SOS with them this year.....Sedins or bust.
                I'm not saying the Nucks will make the playoffs...just that they'll finish ahead of the Flamers. :sm:

Comment

I'm not saying the Nucks will make the playoffs...just that they'll finish ahead of the Flamers. :sm:
                  lol....see it's early in the season and takes me a minute to get it all back together.....lol.....

oilcan loves the flames....:beerbang:

Comment

Vancouver Injuries were to the defence mostly...getting them back won't solve their main problem....lack of goals! Other big injury was Morrison...who's gone and replaced by Wellwood and/or Demitra....guys who miss 20+ games every year, and not really an upgrade.

Luongo and that defence gives them a chance! They need youngsters, Raymond, Kesler and Bernier to REALLY step up, and the need a Demitra/Wellwood to play way over their heads to have any chance IMO.

Comment

That would definitely be an upset.
                      Thegreek has season point totals set as:

Vancouver 85.5
                      Calgary 93.5

Comment

Vancouver Injuries were to the defence mostly...getting them back won't solve their main problem....lack of goals! Other big injury was Morrison...who's gone and replaced by Wellwood and/or Demitra....guys who miss 20+ games every year, and not really an upgrade.

Luongo and that defence gives them a chance! They need youngsters, Raymond, Kesler and Bernier to REALLY step up, and the need a Demitra/Wellwood to play way over their heads to have any chance IMO.
                        i just don't understand why they won't part with ONE of those D'men they have. They have about 8-9 quality D=men in their organization and one of those guys could fetch a good solid scorer for sure. As i said, going to be the same 0' same 0' with them this year...bunch of 2-1 games until luongo can't carry them anymore towards the end of the season and they start losing 4-1....lol

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                          i just don't understand why they won't part with ONE of those D'men they have. They have about 8-9 quality D=men in their organization and one of those guys could fetch a good solid scorer for sure. As i said, going to be the same 0' same 0' with them this year...bunch of 2-1 games until luongo can't carry them anymore towards the end of the season and they start losing 4-1....lol
                          Very true. In the summer, word was Bieksa was on his way out....no moves...wierd...

Comment

That would definitely be an upset.
                            Thegreek has season point totals set as:

Vancouver 85.5
                            Calgary 93.5
                            Yep, I've been contemplating a play on the Nucks....

Comment

Let me jump on the nucker talk. Gillis will be moving one of the dmen count on it, Bieksas the likely one to be gone as hes the only one who is eating up a big salary and isnt on a ntc contract. As for the team, while I dont agree entirely with Ang, I think the flames will be a good team this year I like the additions they made tho I still hate them with a passion. I do agree with ang that the canucks are getting very much disrespected around the league. This as much as it may not seem on paper is very much a different team than last year. I do think they have a real shot at being a playoff team this year and with a key pick up they could be a real sleeper team to do some damage.

Injuries were very much the reason for the goal totals and the style of play last year. Losing Morrison left the team without a 2nd line it also forced Nazzy onto a line that played a style that he wasnt happy playing nor did it play to his strength. Losing Bieksa, Ohlund, Salo, Krajicek and Miller for chunks of the season decimated the defensive corps and the result was a further empasis on the forwards coming back to cover up for the inexperience on the blueline. Having Ahlers vs bonafide nhl calibre dmen also affects the outlet passes. . This was a defensive group that was among the best in the league in points scored by dmen in 06-07, losing most of them to injury was significant to this teams lack of production.

As for where the goals are going to come from this year. Everyone knows the Sedin line but Bernier might be the best fit this team has gotten for them in their tenure with the canucks. Finally a big boy who can get to the front of the net and has a right handed shot. I expect this line to be better than they were with Nazzy cause he fits the Sedins cycling style better. Raymond and Demitra have looked sick playing with each other this preseason. I know its preseason but Raymond had a nice little rookie campaign going and with a real playmaker to feed off of in Demitra this line will put up points and will beat any production that our makeshift 2nd lines put up last year, within the next few weeks I wouldnt be surprised to see a top 6 forward picked up to replace Pyatt on this line but in the meanwhile he'll chug along and clean up some garbage that was created from his linemates work. Our third line checking line may be amongst the best checking lines in the league. Burrows/Kesler/Hansen this line will shut down teams frustrate the fawk out of them and put up points. Our 4th of Hordichuk/Johnson/Rypien or Brown is going to be a nasty piece of business. On paper it may look like we lost some scoring with Mo and Nazzy leaving but its more like getting rid of one player who didnt want to be here anymore and one that has barely played the last year and a half so its addition by subtraction. This version of the team plays far more uptempo and far more physically then the last couple years versions. Add in a healthy defensive corps and I look for our goal totals to easily surpass last years totals. I expect many to be surprised by this team early.
                              Last edited by flmmkrz; 10-09-2008, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X