What is the NHL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the NHL?

Never really been too big a fan, though I do like the Avalanche and go to a few games, but I seem to be at a loss for what is going on with Avery. Is this not the league where the guys beat the **** out of each other and do other crazy things....then I come to find out you cannot talk smack about some dudes girlfriend in a duragotory manor. Not sure if I get it as it seems there is a lot of crass and brazinness in this league and some one says sloppy seconds and everyone acts like he pulled a Pacman, Larry Johnson, John Daly, Plaxico, Urbina et al or something. I think the comment was somewhat rude and maybe this dude had it coming but to suspend him for this with all the other **** that goes on in this league seems strange to me. I know I am missing the rule book on the unwritten code of the NHL but it seems like this league needs to grow a sack as their code is all outta wack. Help me out here and tell me where I am missing the boat on this one as it all seems a little peculiar. :beer2:

Basically it was a buildup of things. The guy has no class. He has a history of racial slurs during games against black and French players, he flips off the press during practice and dressing room events, plus a laundry list of other indiscretions.

For this latest episode, the league probably doesn't want comments derogatory to women associated with their league. And it was an attack towards specific players and specific women. I agree with it, and every analyst I have read/heard agrees with it, as well as coaches/managers/players around the league. The Stars organization even said they would have suspended him themselves if the league didn't do it first. Stars legends, Turco and Modano agreed with it, and railed Avery in the press, a rare thing to not back up your own teammate. He has also likely played his last game as a Star.

I also think it had something to do with the premeditation of the comment. He called the press over for a mini press conference to make a statement, and slung that **** like it was prepared, with a grin on his face. Real low class. He knew the Canadian press would eat it up, as they were already waiting for him after he made remarks about Iginla earlier in the year. Although...if he would have said "ex-girlfriend" he wouldn't have likely been OK. He essentially called a press conference to call fellow players girlfirends sluts and whores.

He got a talking too by league office, and will probably get another couple games...nothing serious for sure...he didn't do anything THAT bad...I just think the league wants to send a message to him to calm down a bit with the off-colour ****...

Comparing fighting, and a "code" to this really doesn't apply, as fighting is a legal part of the sport, and if something over the top goes on, players are suspended. It's a tough sport. Things will happen in a spur. The league should deal with that too. I think this is different, and is more in line with the NFL style of "player conduct" kind of suspension. Hockey players generally are considered to be the most down to earth athletes in the business, and sportswriters will tell you they are the best athletes to deal with on a regular basis. I'd have to believe this is true, as I think I'd rather try and interview Crosby or Lecavalier instead of trying to ask a tough question to Iverson or Terrell Owens. JMO.

He could have trouble finding a place to play though...it's not like its Crosby we're talking about.
    Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 12-04-2008, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Got it, did not realize the dude does the stuff all the time, and that he is a racist. I guess I missed out on the part that he premeditated the whole incident. As we know everyone talks smack in whatever sport. The fact that Modano and Turco blasted him says a ton. :beer2:

Comment

No, I disagree, he should not be suspended. I don't care if he's a racist or whatever he says. I think it says more about the NHL being white supremesists. They just wanted any excuse to say they are being the champions of the Women's movement because what avery said was so extremely derogatory to women. basically it's like calling someone a slut. I think that is pretty common. He sounded pretty stupid, but maybe he should just be embarrassed and that's the end of it.

Comment

Bo....alleged racist comments...he denied it, and wasn't suspended for it.....thought I should point that out. But, yeah...if someone without a history like his would have said this sloppy seconds bit...it wouldn't have played out like this at all...

Bobby.....no comment....that post made no sense. :dunno:
          Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 12-04-2008, 06:46 PM.

Comment

LOL I thought I was the only one who didn't understand what Bobby was trying to say.

As for Avery, dudes just a punk. His teamates are sick of his act, nobody wants to stand up for this guy on or off the ice. The comments themselves weren't the worst words to be uttered by an athlete but ffs keep it to the ice, he says it in a scrum with Dion he prolly draws him into a penalty and its a job well done but to take it off ice was unnecessary. Anyone with a lick of common sense knows that comment in that media scrum is going to be trouble, as often as he's been in trouble he should've known better than most.

Comment

the point was that the NHL is racist and prejudice against everyone, and they are known for that. they made a big thing about Avery's comment being sexist so they could use him as a scapegoat. the people to do with the NHL are the real white supremacists, racists, sexists. they want to try to look good by saying avery's remarks are sexist. they aren't at all. The NHL will use a suspension here to point to a false concept that they are not prejudice. Why did 90% of the people in power in the NHL vote against Obama? racists. Why do they all have trophy wives.. sexist. Avery is probably less that way than they are. NHL looks real transparent here. Overreactions like that speak to the NHL rather than avery. very disappointing actions on their behalf.

Comment

You give your handle a bad name....Bobby Orr is truely one of the good guys from our sport....you, on the other hand, are a douche...what a couple of rediculous posts, dude...:ohman:

Comment

:laughing:

I guess Avery has spare time now that he's likely to get suspended so he's come on to message boards to defend himself.

Comment

just being tooo politically correct shows that you are the one with the problem yourself, sounds like that makes you a douche mapleleaf.

I think Avery is kind of funny as a personality, but his comments are kind of boring, but I definitely don't find them offensive in any way.

I guess the problem I had was when I heard on the the analysts say that he was being really "sexist" it was some machismo guy, woh looked like he was the totally sexist one. looked like a hypocrite, just like johnnymapleleaf seems like he is to me.

Comment

Good point. :thumbs:

Comment

oh, I forgot your still pissed because I'm not coming on here as another cheerleader for you. I'll look into that later on sometime. GL!!

Comment

lol. Try to contribute positively, dude....it's a good site.

Now do your homework, and go to bed....it's getting late... :thumbs:

Comment

hint.. your last post here is not a "positive contribution."

Comment

You got one guy on this board sticking up for Avery (and bashing the league's decision) and that's one more than you have in the Dallas Stars dressing room.

Nuff said.

Next topic.

Murph

Comment

Working...
                              X