WJHC Gold Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WJHC Gold Discussion

Just thought I'd get everyone's thoughts on the WJHC Gold and Bronze medal games for tomorrow. I'm really having a tough time deciding what I want to play here.

Thing is, I'm Canadian through and through and really would hate to bet against my team. BUT, -215 to win? I just don't see any value in that number at all. In fact, considering the way Canada played against the US and the Russians, I have to believe the value here is with Sweden. Tokarski is an absolute sieve and I see the Swedes getting at least 4 here. I actually think the Swedes may win this thing outright. Maybe over is the play?

As for the bronze medal game, I see this in the same way I saw the US game today. The Russians are devastated while the Slovaks are probably ecstatic to be playing for bronze. The Slovaks beat the US then kept Sweden on the ropes right to the end and only lost by 2. Can anyone talk me out of playing Slovakia +2.5 here?

No way I'd take Sweden, as I think Canada wins the game. After that close call with the Russians, I think they don't slip up at all in the big game. Playing any junior squad against Canada IN Canada will put you in the poorhouse in the long run. Saying that...I think the Over 6 is the best play. Only 6? Canada has scored 5 or more in every game themselves, and Quinn has them playing a pretty wide-open style this year. I also agree with your assessment of Tokarski...he seems to be a bit jittery on the big stage, and goaltending is not as strong as previous years for Canada. I think Sweden pots 3 or 4 themselves. Looking for a 6-4 Canada win.

As for the Bronze medal game...I agree... +2.5 goals would have to be the play. Russia played well against Canada, but lost a heartbreaker, and cannot be in a good frame of mind. They did smoke Slovakia 8-1 in the round robin, but I don't see them showing up with intensity today. Other than that Russia game, Slovakia showed well this tourney, beating Finland and the US, and hanging tough in two games against Finalist Sweden.

Favourite play is definitely the Over 6 in the Gold Medal game however...

GL Angelus :thumbs:

Comment

Locked it in...

Canada/Sweden Over 6 -125

2 Units

I mean...a very pedestrian game of 4-2 is still a push? Line is 1.5 goals too low, IMO...

GL :beerbang:

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
        Locked it in...

Canada/Sweden Over 6 -125

2 Units
        2, count'em, 2 empty-net goals for the Canadian 5-1 win, and the Over push, lol :beer2:

Seriously though...that game had the pace, shots, and chances of an 8 or 9 goal game. Tokarski plays his best game of the tourney, and the Canadian PK is spot on. Got lucky, but that was an over game, no doubt...

Comment

i am not backing down off my original thoughts that CAN wins this one. Tavares has been great at least when i've been following him in this tourney.

I do agree that the Over is the best play in the game. They always say take the under in big games, but i don't know if that holds for world juniors (U20) hockey games....lol.

i have no thoughts on the bronze game.
          I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
            i am not backing down off my original thoughts that CAN wins this one. Tavares has been great at least when i've been following him in this tourney.

I do agree that the Over is the best play in the game. They always say take the under in big games, but i don't know if that holds for world juniors (U20) hockey games....lol.

i have no thoughts on the bronze game.
            :dunno: You drunk? lol

Both games are done.... the last one ending about an hour ago, giving the Over a push as stated above :laughing:

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
              :dunno: You drunk? lol

Both games are done.... the last one ending about an hour ago, giving the Over a push as stated above :laughing:
              lol.....:laughing: ....dude- the world juniors are about the last thing on my mind right now....they aren't on TV and other than checking out the website there aren't even any scores posted....the world U20's are right up there with the crossword puzzle here in the US.

I have been watching the OSU game and doing some work......didn't even look at when he posted it....

Comment

but i was right about CAN i guess and that didn't take long to find out the results....:laughing:

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                  lol.....:laughing: ....dude- the world juniors are about the last thing on my mind right now....they aren't on TV and other than checking out the website there aren't even any scores posted....the world U20's are right up there with the crossword puzzle here in the US.

I have been watching the OSU game and doing some work......didn't even look at when he posted it....
                  lol...I know....that's what I figured.... :beer2:

I don't know if I've ever got a push or win on a total by getting 2 empty netters though :thumbs:

Comment

Yeah, we got lucky in the Canada game and I got unlucky with a late Russian PP goal to screw my +2.5...

Oh well, you win some, lose some.

Canada played pretty well I thought. Sweden got a tonne of shots, but Tokarski was never challenged all that much.

5 in a row! :thumbs:

Comment

5 in a row, gotta love the canadian boys, when it matters they are at their best.

On side note, both our teams look like they got some studs in the making Ang. Eberle looked damn good all tourny and Hodgson top scorer for the tourny:beerbang:
                      Last edited by flmmkrz; 01-06-2009, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flmmkrz View Post
                        5 in a row, gotta love the canadian boys, when it matters they are at their best.

On side note, both our teams look like they got some studs in the making Ang. Eberle looked damn good all tourny and Hodgson top scorer for the tourny:beerbang:
                        DiDomenico too! :beer2:

And does Tavares every look like the real deal...

Comment

Working...
                        X