Bowman to Leafs??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowman to Leafs??

Reports out of Toronto today says the Leafs have offered the winningest coach in pro sports the position of President, and word is Bowman is leaning to accepting the offer, and would come in and clean house from the top down (see ya JFJ).

That would be sweet. :beerbang:

interesting. i don't know much about the Leafs' upper management, but bowman is a great hockey mind...that's for sure. They could use a new direction, though, IMO. They have been spinning their wheels ever since PHI dropped that 9-1 beat down on them in like 2003 or whatever it was in game 7 (had to get that jab in). Seriously, though, i think they do need a fresh direction. Too proud a hockey franchise to keep not making the playoffs.
    I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
      They have been spinning their wheels ever since PHI dropped that 9-1 beat down on them in like 2003 or whatever it was in game 7 (had to get that jab in).
      How dare you!
      lol.
      Don't make me list the Flyers 2007 points total. :blackeye:

Yeah...I agree though....this would be huge. I mean, current GM John Ferguson Jr isn't getting it done. In the summer of 2005, JFJ. acquired Eric Lindros, Jason Allison, Jeff O'Neill and Alex Khananov for the Leafs. All are now without NHL contracts. Last summer, he brought in Pavel Kubina and Andrew Raycroft, two contracts he'd like to discard. Not great.

The good thing is the Leafs management position is undoubtedly the most prestigious job in hockey, and playing for the Leafs is a huge deal for any Canadian kid, so we are able to get high profile people because of this.

Comment

just curious....why isn't Montreal considered the most prestigious job in Canada? They are an original 6 team and they have had far more success in the last 50 years than Toronto. Toronto to me seems like "the team" because they are in the biggest media market and get the most coverage. I realize Montreal is a little "different" but curious why Toronto would be more prestigious than Montreal, not being a Canadian person. I would think with all the history of those Cups and the great players, that Montreal would be a Candian kids dream spot (but then again, i don't understand Canadian dynamics i guess). As i said, just curious to hear your thoughts on that question. I had never really thought of that before you brought it up.

Comment

It's probably even, FF. I guess living in the Toronto market, I catagorize the Leafs as the most prestigious. But the Leafs and Habs are the big 2.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
            It's probably even, FF. I guess living in the Toronto market, I catagorize the Leafs as the most prestigious. But the Leafs and Habs are the big 2.
            i was really just curious...not debating who is bigger. It kind of is an interesting thing to think about.

Comment

Yeah it is.
              Each team gets the first 4/5 pages of every sports section each day (4 Dailys in Toronto). A third line winger signing is huge front page news, and will be talked about for 2 days on sports radio. Each road game for these teams (especcially the Leafs) in Canada has 1/2 the crowd rooting for the Leafs/Habs, beacuse your dad/grandpa in rural Alberta didn't have these new teams to cheer for, and sports fanfare is generalational. . Great heritage with both franchises. But teams like Philly & Detroit get the most respect from Canadian fans for American franchises. Original 6 is imprtant to Canadian fans, and so are teams like Philly and NYI, because of hockey history. Ask a general Canadian who Butch Goring or Brad Park is, and there's a good chance they will know. Ask a general Canadian who Sami Kapanen or Miro Satan is, and they probably won't.

God I hate the Flyers, but I will never disrespect their history.
              Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 08-05-2007, 11:28 PM.

Comment

lmao....that is mind boggling.......i have to wade through the back pages of the strip club ads and massage parlors to find any kings or ducks information. toronto is probably a lot like the Yankees.....everyone who didn't have a team decided at some point they would be a fan......I couldn't stand MON when they were good...especially after that chicken **** stick thing in the finals....but i would like to see them get good again.......i just can't get past being "old school" when it comes to hockey and i have no desire to see Atlanta make the playoffs instead of MON, TOR etc...even though i really don't like those teams. Just better for hockey, IMO. But that's just me.....

and Bowman just denied even being contacted by TOR.....i love that stuff.....ummmmm somebody is lying....lol

Comment

Scotty was on the radio here about 2 weeks ago. He mentioned that Toronto had offered him a position. He did say he was considering it, but seemed really happy with the freedom he has as a consultant for the Red Wings. One of his sons is sick w/hodgkins disease and he said that would play a major role in deciding wether or not he took on a full time job again.

Comment

Working...
                  X