X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoePa's THE MEMORIAL Picks

JOEPA'S UPDATED YTD
    UNITS: +28.50

Love this tournament but not attending it! Even as a photographer in the C-Bus area I got my arse and camera equipment wet too many a time covering Jack's party. Had a winner last week with Zach Johnson and two near-miss Top5 finishes as Bo Van Pelt bogeyed two of his last four holes and Jonas Blixt come up short by finishing T7th. Again, I am going away from the trendy picks even though I like Justin Rose who won The Memorial in 2010 and finished 2nd last week at the BMW PGA Championship.

ERNIE ELS 50/1 TO WIN OUTRIGHT & 9/1 E.W. - He's sort of the comeback-kid this year and has found his game securing 6 Top 10 finishes worldwide (four on the PGA Tour with a playoff 2nd at the Zurich Classic, T5th @ Transitions, T4 @ both the Tavistock and Arnie Palments while holding a 2nd @ the Volvo and 7th last week and aT7th last week at the BMW Championship on England on the Euro Tour. The Big Easy also has 6 Top 10s at Muirfield Village with a victory in 2004 and more recently a T8th in 2009. He knows this course well since he hasn't missed playing in Dublin since 1994. Currently on tour he ranks 26th in GIR, 29th in total driving and 16th in scoring average.

JIM FURYK 6/1 E.W. - Short odds but an odds on favorite to finish high on the leaderboard here. He won at Muirfield in 2002 and has followed that up by making 7/8 cuts with 3 Top 10s finishes. He was the only golfer in the field last week at Colonial to finish with all four rounds in the 60s and finished 4th by leading the field in GIR. He's got 3 Top 10s in his last 7 starts on tour and 5 Top 11 finishes in his last 7 starts. He ranks 3rd in driving accuracy, 23rd in strokes gained putting, 8th in sand saves, 31st in GIR and 3rd in scoring average.

BO VAN PELT 10/1 E.W. - Let me down last week! Of course he let himself down harder with the two bogeys over the last four holes that made for a smaller paycheck when he was on track to finish 5th at Colonial but ended up T19th. Only if he could have parred out! Still he ranked T4th in GIR and has great course form with a T13th in 2011 and a solo 3rd place finish in 2010. Some impressive stats I like for this week are his 7th place rankings in strokes gained putting and eagles, 11th in birdie average, 6th in total driving, and 2nd all-around ranking.

JONATHAN BYRD 11/1 E.W. - Arrives in oHIo with 3 straight Top 12 finishes which includes a T10th last week at Colonial, a T9th at the Wells Fargo and T12th at The Players. It's the 4th such streak in his single season over his young career. He finished 3rd here in 2009 and T7th in 2011. His highest stat ranking on tour is 42nd in strokes gained putting but I am siding with recent form more than anything.

BRANDEN GRACE 25/1 E.W. - Hottest 3-time winner on the Euro Tour that you don't know. He was awesome last week at the BMW Championship where he finished 5th and in his last 3 starts he has finished no worse than 17th at the Volvo World Match Play, 5th last week at the Beemer and won the China Open. He's 32nd on the Euro Tour in driving distance at 299.72 yards, 48th in GIR at 72%, 31st in putting and 10th in scoring average at 70.23 and he even his fairways at 61%. In his three wins this season he was a collective -50 under par and -28 under par in his last two tournaments. His first appearance on the PGA Tour so we'll see what he's made of.....
    Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

These are the kind of finishes that just destroy your weekend. Check out Byrd's two bogey on 17 & 18 at The Memorial that killed off a Top 5 finish and would have put me in the money once again.....

Jonathan Byrd Scorecards - PGATOUR.com
    Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

Working...
    X