JoePa's HP Byron Nelson Picks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoePa's HP Byron Nelson Picks

Oh my, almost grabbed an outright winner via a handover last week. Have to be excited by the play of Jordan Speith though, the kid doesn't back down! The real question is, will a favorite actually win this week? I was all set to back Keegan Bradley the 2011 winner and was solo second in 2013 when he set a course record with a 60. However, he has missed the cut twice in the last five starts including The Players but was 2nd at the Arnie Palmer and T8th at The Zurich Classic. When I looked at the strong field this week I got swayed into taking players who are trending upward!

JORDAN SPEITH - 12/1 OUTRIGHT WINNER - This could go one of two ways for Speith this week! He could come right back and grab his first Tour win or he could be so exhausted from emotional final rounds at The Masters and The Players that he could just collapse. I will choose the former and hope to find him highly motivated and playing on his home course and his 6th place ranking in scoring carrying him through enough to seal the deal!

JUSTIN HICKS - 80/1 OUTRIGHT WINNER & 14/1 TOP 5 FINISH - Quietly going about his own business Hicks T17th last week at The Players where he led the field in GIR, was 2nd in putting inside 10 feet making 62 of 65 from that distance! WOW! Hicks finished T14th here in 2011 and T21st last year. He currently ranks 4th in GIR, 6th in driving accuracy at 72%. He does have a T5th at The Valero.

JIMMY WALKER - 6/1 TOP FIVE FINISH - Walker is THAT guy this year! He lead the FedEx Cup standing, is 8th in scoring, 14th in driving distance, 1st in strokes gained putting at .963, 29th in GIR at 68%, T6th last week at The Players, won the Frys Open, Sony Open, AT&T, T8th at The Masters, was 6th at the CIMB Classic.....I'm tired and he's just getting started.

GARY WOODLAND - 5/1 TOP 5 FINISH - Woodland is 22nd in the FedEx Cup standings, sits 27th in GIR at 68%, is 35th in scoring, 19th in driving distance just over 300 yards and 61% in driving accuracy. His top finishes on the year have been a playoff 2nd at the CIMB, T8th at the Valspar, T10th at the Farmers, T11th at The Players, T16th at the WGC, T18th at the Wells Fargo. He could win this thing outright and if you re interested he's a 28/1 shot.
    Last edited by joepa66; 05-13-2014, 08:21 PM.
    Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

ADDING -

RYO ISHIKAWA - 12/1 TOP FIVE FINISH - Ishikawa is 39th in the FedEx Cup for a reason! And there are quite a few of them, such as, a T2nd at the Shriners, T5th at the ISPS Handa WGC, T7th at the Farmers, T19th at the Puerto Rico Open, his 31st ranking in GIR at 68%, and more importantly in his last three starts where he has a T8th at the Arnie Palmer, T31st at the Shell Houston and T18th at the RBC where he finished 68-67-69 after opening with a 77! He T10th here last year with rounds of 71-68-68-67.
    Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

Working...
    X