JoePa's WGC Bridgestone Picks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoePa's WGC Bridgestone Picks

Another near miss last week as Jim Furyk played not to win during the final round of the RBC Canadian and ended up second. Alas, his final round one under par kept me from the money. Just four tournaments left in the regular season of golf and there are some guys who need to get it in gear in order to make the Top 125 money list to qualify for the FedEx Cup Playoffs. It's also another chance to gain full exemption status for the 2014-15 Tour season. There's a lot on the line this week.

ADAM SCOTT - 10/1 OUTRIGHT WIN - He won here in 2011, is currently ranked #1 in the Official World of Golf Rankings, won at Colonial, was 4th at The Memorial, T9th at the U.S. Open and T5th at The Open Championship. He's got major experience and is trending nicely which both count at Firestone.

RICKY FOWLER - 4/1 TOP 5 FINISH - Coming of age, maturation, finding his game, whatever you want to call it, since a T13th in Memphis at the FedEx St. Jude he's risen to the top with a T2nd at Pinehurst, T8th at Royal Aberdeen and T2nd at Royal Liverpool. He finished T2nd here in 2011. I am quickly becoming a Ricky fan, sans the orange puma hat and pants, and really rooted for him down the stretch at Hoylake. Of course, I did predict a Top 5 finish in England for him and wanted the winner as well.

JIM FURYK - 4/1 TOP 5 FINISH - Let me down last week, but a 2nd in Canada and 3 runnerup in his last 7 starts and was 4th at Hoylake just two weeks ago. Jimbo is 1st in scrambling and 5th in adjusted scoring.

HIDEKI MATSUYAMA - 10/1 TOP 5 FINISH - It's been an explosion onto the scene this year for the 22 year old Japanese rookie. He ranks 23rd in the FedEx, is 15th in the OWGR, has 4 Top 10s, 9 Top 25s, in 20th in scoring average (70.083), has a 63% GIR, 67% driving accuracy, won at The Memorial, T35th at the U.S. Open, T39th at The Open Championship and T23rd at The Players Championship. He's a 50/1 shot to win outright if you care to risk it.

MARC LEISHMAN - 14/1 TOP 5 FINISH - Six, yes, count 'em, 6 Top 25 finishes in his last 8 starts with a T8th at Congressional and a tidy T5th at Royal Liverpool. Ranks 18th in adjusted scoring and has been hanging around leader boards recently.

And now for something completely different!

FABRIZIO ZANOTTI - 66/1 TOP 5 FINISH - Here's an entry from my list of golfers you have probably never heard of......since I catch a lot of the Euro Tour I have been pleasantly surprised to see the Paraguayan grab a T9th at the Alstom Open de France, 1st at the BMW International, T14th at the Irish Open and T5th at the Lyoness Open.....in his last last five events on the European circuit. He ranks 27th on the Euro Tour, has a 64% driving accuracy and a very nice 70% GIR rating. He's a 300/1 shot to win....ah, why not, I might make a small $10 play on him to win as well.
    Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:
Working...
X