Canadian Open

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open

Outright plays (total stake per play: 1pt)

Brandt Snedeker to win 40/1 e.w. @ Ladbrokes, Sportingbet and Sporting Odds
    In contrast to the European Tour where a strong performance in the British Open was a pre-requisite to finishing high on the leaderboard in last year's event at Gut Kaden, it was of much greater importance on the PGA Tour to have not even travelled across the Atlantic. Of the top-5 at last year's U.S. Bank Championship, which was played the week after the British Open, only two had returned from Royal Liverpool Golf Club; of the top-12 on the leaderboard, only four players had been competing in the British Open. On that basis, and with course experience being very rare now that it is the North Course that is being used this week at Angus Glen, the best value odds should be on players who didn't make that trip across the Atlantic. One such player is Snedeker who has three top-10 finishes in his last five starts and was in the top-10 for each of the first two rounds of the U.S. Open last month. Add in the additional factors that the North Course has extremely large greens, averaging 8,000 sq.ft (compared to a Tour average of 6,000 sq.ft), and Snedeker is 2nd in the "Three-Putt Avoidance" category and he should record another top-10 this week.

Nathan Green to win 66/1 e.w. @ Stan James
    Putting is the cornerstone of Green's game. Not only does he rank in the top-10 in the "Three-Putt Avoidance" category, but in the more traditional putting categories, he ranks 3rd in putting average and 4th in putts per round, so he should find the course to his advantage this week. And while he disappointed last week as a selection, merely finishing 57th, he admitted on his website that he had been feeling a little flat after his performance the previous week when he had held the lead after the second and third rounds, only to finish 3rd. In hindsight, he should have been avoided last week on this basis, but his website also reports on his encouraging final round 67 at Brown Deer Park so he should have some momentum heading into the week as he seeks to earn his third top-5 finish in seven starts.

Camilo Villegas to win 80/1 e.w. @ Ladbrokes
    Villegas is a very different type of player. He is much too erratic to rank highly in any of the Tour's statistical averages, but he does have a very good top5:starts ratio on this Tour: 6 in 47 starts. And the fact that he has just three further finishes in the top-20 shows that he is a very hit-and-miss player who will either earn at least a place return on an each-way wager or not feature at all. When the odds are 80/1 (and so the place odds reach 20/1) there should be value in backing him, particularly as one of those top-5 finishes was in this event last year. Of course, a different course was used at the time, but it will still be encouraging, as was last week's performance was he was inside the top-10 at the cut.

questions

Hey Stanley,

I've been watching your site for the past 3 seasons and have very much respect you and your selections each week. I just have a few questions for you..if you don't mind.

1. KENNY PERRY! I have been backing him the past 3 tournaments he has been in because I remember how dominant he could be when he is on (colonial and bay hill 2 years ago). I think he is not worth backing ever again. He's not the same player and can't finish anything. At the buick in the final round he was driving it 330 and in the fairway each drive but was either missing greens from 100 yards or putting it to 40 feet. this past week he couldnt hit a fairway for his life! Do you still have faith in this guy?

2. I have had success in the past backing players that I believe are up and coming, geoff ogilvy and zach johnson for instance. This season I like several players to win soon. Michael Sim, Mathhew Goggin and Anthony Kim. On the euro tour I like Martin Kaymer and Andres Romero (pre british meltdown). What is your criteria for selecting players during their early years and little to no course experience?

Comment

Hi Golf-Guy :sm:

Originally posted by Golf-Guy View Post
      1. KENNY PERRY! I have been backing him the past 3 tournaments he has been in because I remember how dominant he could be when he is on (colonial and bay hill 2 years ago). I think he is not worth backing ever again. He's not the same player and can't finish anything. At the buick in the final round he was driving it 330 and in the fairway each drive but was either missing greens from 100 yards or putting it to 40 feet. this past week he couldnt hit a fairway for his life! Do you still have faith in this guy?
      Yes, I still have faith in him to win again, even though he will be 47 in two weeks' time (it didn't stop Fred Funk winning the Players Championship at 48). The fact that he has finished in the top-15 in each of his last five events shows the big turnaround in his game back to the level of 2005, but in terms of winning, there is a distinctive feature about Perry: he does not win from off the pace.

Of his nine PGA Tour wins, in only one of them (1994 New England Classic) did he not hold the lead at the start of the final round (or, looking at it the other way around, in five of the last six times that he has held at least a share of the lead heading into the final round, he has managed to convert that into a win). Furthermore, in five of his last six wins, he has held the lead in the tournament in the 2nd round and the 3rd rounds, as well as after the 4th round.

So, Perry is a very good example of a player who is (i) an extremely good front runner, but (ii) a player who does not control the ball well when 'pressing' in the final round. You comment on this at the Buick Open, and it has been evident in the last two weeks as well, but by contrast I would argue that he is still the same player as he was ... a player who does win from off the pace.

Originally posted by Golf-Guy View Post
      2. I have had success in the past backing players that I believe are up and coming, geoff ogilvy and zach johnson for instance. This season I like several players to win soon. Michael Sim, Mathhew Goggin and Anthony Kim. On the euro tour I like Martin Kaymer and Andres Romero (pre british meltdown). What is your criteria for selecting players during their early years and little to no course experience?
      I've also backed Anthony Kim and Martin Kaymer on a number of occasions this season and I'm convinced that those two, in particular, will have won a Tour title by the end of next season.

What young players lack on these Tours is experience, obviously, and that filters through their tournament play in two main ways: (i) they don't have course experience if the Tour event is being played at a regular stop; and (ii) they don't have the patience of the more seasoned pros.

The combination of these two effects is poor course management (in comparison to their seasoned peers) and higher-than-normal volatility in scoring (which is compounded by the poor course management). So these are players who will have lots of high finishes, but also lots of missed cuts. As a result, I am much less concerned about poor results from a young player than a more seasoned pro (and this should be evident from my selection of Camilo Villegas this week).

The other way that I take account of these effects is to (i) not back these types of players if they are course rookies when the rest of the field has plenty of course experience (again, this makes Villegas a valid selection with the Canadian Open being played on the new course at Angus Glen); (ii) not back them in particularly strong fields (Romero may appear to counter this rule, but he did finish very highly in the British Open a year ago); and (iii) only back them on the more open courses where strategy (and thus course management) is less important (points (ii) and (iii) are also relevant to my selection of Villegas yesterday). The final point can simply be an 'experience' factor, but if there is one thing in common amoung the young, up-and-coming players, it is that they hit the ball a very long way ... and not always straight! Ball control and course management is something that they will learn with experience as Tiger did and then I will start to back them less selectively.
      Last edited by Stanley; 07-24-2007, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X