G Webb v UK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Q-Unit View Post
    where they play non-withstanding... last year's VCU upset comes to mind.

I'm not dissing Duke man, well maybe I am.

but wouldn't a team have to be damn GOOD, for it to have a target on its back, and expect excellence year in year out?

just expanding on what Cuse pointed out about Kentucky.

while "kids" these days may not care nor know about bball tradition in Kentucky, my point was Duke is dangerously getting close to that territory in the next 5 years if they dont make serious noise in the tourney.

:thumbs:

You are comparing losing to a very, very good VCU team at a neutral site to a team picked 8th in their conference (one of the worst conferences in the country) to start the season going on the road to Kentucky and winning by 20??? Wow

Yea, if Duke loses in the first round for the next 5 years than maybe but face it, that aint happening. We still roll in the top recruits and still have maybe the best coach in the game today.

Last year was the first year out of 10 we didnt make the Sweet 16? That is something no team has ever done before and now you want to talk about Duke being bad in a couple years? Come on man, thats not fair and even the biggest Duke haters wont say that.

We have won 3 titles in the past 16 or so years and won our last title in 2001-02 season. We also won the ACC Tournament title like 7 out of the past 9 years, what more can Duke do?
    NCAAF: 50-39-5 (+6.35 units)
    NFL: 36-35-6 (-2.00 units)
    NHL: 4-8-0 (-2.80 units)
    NCAAB: 7-4 (+1.75 units)

Comment

Originally posted by GamblinMan03 View Post
      One year in 10 where Duke doesnt make the Sweet 16 and now they are on the road to obsolete? Jesus people, some of you are crazy!
      dude- i am dead serious about this. I can't take another year of your Duke bull**** homer stuff. It really deteriorates the hoops board. Everyone else here has teams and most people are able to keep that in check. You haven't had an unbiased point on Duke since you've been here and i know i have and certainly a lot of people have had it with the Duke bullshiat. Nobody listens to you anyway when it comes to Duke because you are like freeking linus talking about the great pumpkin when it comes to opinions on Duke basketball. Give it a rest this year, PLEASE, for everyone's sake.
      Last edited by FlyersFan; 11-08-2007, 02:29 AM.
      I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
        dude- i am dead serious about this. I can't take another year of your Duke bull**** homer stuff. It really deteriorates the hoops board. Everyone else here has teams and most people are able to keep that in check. You haven't had an unbiased point on Duke since you've been here and i know i have and certainly a lot of people have had it with the Duke bullshiat. Nobody listens to you anyway when it comes to Duke because you are like freeking linus waiting for the great pumpkin when it comes to opinions on Duke. Give it a rest this year, PLEASE, for everyone's sake.
        Well if nobody listens to me why are you taking time out of your day to make your usual replay to a thread you dont agree with. Give it a rest FF, if you dont like what you see from me than ignore me and we dont have to speak to each other here. Plain and simple.

No offense to any of you, but some of you are complete idiots. You call me a homer but whenever someone says something idiotic about Duke, I am gonna give the facts on why I think they were wrong. I gave my facts on this subject and if it was anyone else that said the same things as I did, you wouldnt be calling him out.

If you people dont want to hear me talk about Duke either ignore me for 6 months or stop saying dumb**** that comes across to everyone like you dont know a damn thing about hoops.

You people take this homer **** to the extreme. I am a big fan of my teams and when I see something I dont agree with, I will say something (if that makes me a homer than so be it). Basically ignore me because I will respond to idiotic comments and I am not saying this subject is idiotic, I am just saying that in general.

Good day to everyone and Duke plays this Friday and will also be part of the Maui Invitational for those of you wishing to root them on. God Bless and Lets Go Duke:thumbs:

Comment

No offense to any of you, but some of you are complete idiots.
          first of all, I said 'where they play non-withstanding' they still lost to VCU. No ones even heard of VCU until they beat Duke.
          sayin things like they were tops in their conf or it was a neutral site are only excuses for why Duke lost and shows no respect for VCU.

heck I bet even coach K didn't even offer excuses in his post game news conf whether or not he felt that way. when u get beat and u act like matt leinart/sore loser that's just baby ****.

duke plays in the ACC which I consider to be one of the best if not the tuffest conf. the competition that Duke faces year in and year out does not compare to whatever teams VCU may see.

point is just because someone has an opinion does not mean they are idiots. granted you may ot have started out this way and after time u got tired and are starting to lash out but not once have I called you a homer. you love your team we get that but its not unlike watchin a couple at a party tonguing each other in front of everyone. just because u like it, maybe just maybe other people may not feel the same way

everyone has their opinions like u said, but to attack us doesn't help. and when u come off like duke can do no wrong that gets annoying also

FF is the biggest effing homer that I know but even he can admit to seeing the buckeyes get beat handily (like two times last year lol) but his touting and chest thumpin is over the top humor and no one takes serious anyways.

certainly dnt act like duke or the redskin's **** don't stink. callin us idiots or crazy is just fanatical on your part just because we have differing opinions.

when you're the best or one of the best you are held to a higher standard that's all. duke deserves every accolade and every criticism as well.
          :hide:

"Schooly D is fat cake yo."
          -Big Pimpin-

Comment

HEY NOW!

Leave Flyer Fan alone.....his team is at least 18 points better than Kentucky as they only lost to D-2 Findlay @ home by 2 points.....Looks like the Buckeyes will be battling Lake Superior State, Michigan Tech and the Golden Dragons of Tiffin for the GLIAC title.....

LMFAO:laughing:
            Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

No offense to any of you, but some of you are complete idiots.
              Let's seeeeeeee:

(1) Grow up and show some respect to people who are trying to have an intelligent conversation (and a good one at that) about college sports. There's no need to call people "idiots" because they have a different opinion than you on something. And Q is right, it shows just how fanatically blinded you are about your teams.

(2) I actually agree with Homer Simpson (as I throw up in my mouth). Duke basketball is not at all irrelevant or even close to being irrelevant on any level. If you poll teenagers across the country, Duke will easily win a nationwide popularity contest, IMHO. The only school that would even be close to Duke is North Carolina. That is pretty obvious when a STUD from Oregon enrolls at Duke. On another level, the Sweet 16 streak is only one year removed and they signed the #1 rated recruiting class in the ACC. They are exceedingly relevant IMO, in both performance on the court and off it.

(3) My original point (before it was derailed as usual) was that Nebraska is not even obscure as they are awful. They are just plain bad and moved away from tradition. I think the argument can be made that Kentucky is following along that same path. Maybe it boils down to times changing and "tradition", whether it be defense, walk-ons, and running the football for NU or fundamentals, unathletic white guys, and team play for UK, not being able to keep up with Joneses??? Who knows???

But Indiana hoops is a coaching/philosophy thing and Duke is not applicable to premise though IMHO... Plus, it seems kids still want to go to Indiana where as it seems no one really wants to go to Kentucky anymore. We shall see, very interesting.

Last edited by CuseFan10; 11-08-2007, 12:37 PM.

Comment

sorry for derailing your 'precious' thoughts cuse! lmao.

yeh I may have deviated but mainly let me reiterate that duke bball isn't irrelevant, but imo I just think they may go down that road based on my perception that I always hear about all americans who wanted to go to duke but didn't (shaun livingston etc...) but now I have to eat my words because the nba age rule has and will lead all sorts of high school talent towards college even if for a year.

-Big Pimpin-

Comment

One quick note on Nebraska becoming irrelevant. I feel that Nebraska only shot themselves in the foot when they basically changed everything Nebraska football was when we were all youngsters. Tom Osborne, the wishbone/option offense, grass field, etc. were all staples of Nebraska football and something everyone identified them with. I still can see now reason why they brought in Bill Callahan and didn't continue to run the option offense. At one time if you were the best option QB in the nation in HS, you were a lock to go to Nebraska, now Nebraska is competing with the rest of the nation to get QB recruits when before it was a foregone conclusion that they would get the #1 running QB.

Just a small tidbit that is pretty stream of consciousness, so if it doesn't make sense then F off.:beerbang:

Comment

Originally posted by NittanyLions94 View Post

Just a small tidbit that is pretty stream of consciousness, so if it doesn't make sense then F off.:beerbang:

I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Originally posted by Q-Unit View Post
                      sorry for derailing your 'precious' thoughts cuse! lmao.
                      Ha, you didn't derail anything, the other guy took care of that with his Duke dribble. You just expounded on my point which is cool, but I just wanted to say that, even though I hate Duke, I don't agree at all with your examples - especially the Duke one.

Comment

This has to be the first time Nebraska was mentioned in a college hoops thread - LOL! As for Nebraska football not being relevant there sure is a lot of talk about the Huskers these days. Granted, it has been a horrible year but does that mean we will never have another winning season? I hope not, there is not much else here in Lincoln other than football. Here is my opinion, every program as had a down cycle, we thought it would never happen here but it did so they made changes that were supposed to turn things around by hiring Callahan. Obviously, that hasn't worked out so well and more changes are necessary but I still believe that Husker football will soon be relevant. One only needs to look to Oklahoma where much the same happened. I think the Sooners are now relevant.

Comment

Fair enough Q but I was here at the end of our season last year saying we deserved to lose to VCU and they were the better team on the court. I said that about every Duke loss. I hardly ever make an excuse about a Duke loss. When they lose, they lose and I take it like a man.

I will defend them when some of you make comments about them I dont agree with. Most of that comes after a loss so Im sure when they lose their 7 or 8 games this season, most of you will bash them and I will stick up for them and be called a homer, if thats the case then there is nothing I can do about it.

Anyway if any of you are sick of me talking about Duke, the only thing I can say is stay out of my threads and just ignore me. Good day everyone and as always, good luck.

Comment

Anyway if any of you are sick of me talking about Duke, the only thing I can say is stay out of my threads and just ignore me. Good day everyone and as always, good luck.
                            This is not your thread.
                            (1) You didn't start it. :ohman:

(2) We are discussing my point and Q's opinions on it essentially. :huddle:

(3) I'm counting a lot today aren't I? :drunk:

Comment

Originally posted by Jerbeek View Post
                              This has to be the first time Nebraska was mentioned in a college hoops thread - LOL! As for Nebraska football not being relevant there sure is a lot of talk about the Huskers these days. Granted, it has been a horrible year but does that mean we will never have another winning season? I hope not, there is not much else here in Lincoln other than football. Here is my opinion, every program as had a down cycle, we thought it would never happen here but it did so they made changes that were supposed to turn things around by hiring Callahan. Obviously, that hasn't worked out so well and more changes are necessary but I still believe that Husker football will soon be relevant. One only needs to look to Oklahoma where much the same happened. I think the Sooners are now relevant.
                              very childish, but I'm gonna do it anyways. this is a good example of a fan giving an opinion without coming off "homeristic-like" LOL. I think Nebraska will be OK if/when they can go back to what makes them who they are, black shirts, etc... but jerbeek's right every program has its cycles

Fair enough Q but I was here at the end of our season last year saying we deserved to lose to VCU and they were the better team on the court. I said that about every Duke loss. I hardly ever make an excuse about a Duke loss. When they lose, they lose and I take it like a man.

I will defend them when some of you make comments about them I dont agree with. Most of that comes after a loss so Im sure when they lose their 7 or 8 games this season, most of you will bash them and I will stick up for them and be called a homer, if thats the case then there is nothing I can do about it.

well honestly I wasnt around to see it, thats cool man. dont blame ya if you feel like i was attacking them, but rest assured that wasnt the intention, my intention was to deviate from Cuse's line of thought LOL

not a duke-hater man, i like college bball in general, and though i honestly cant stand coach K, he is a good coach, and i sometimes like whatever players they produce, except for maybe reddick, just rubs me the wrong way.

-Big Pimpin-

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
                                Ha, you didn't derail anything, the other guy took care of that with his Duke dribble. You just expounded on my point which is cool, but I just wanted to say that, even though I hate Duke, I don't agree at all with your examples - especially the Duke one.

well bad example. i wanted to expand on your kentucky and nebraska line of thought in that I think it has a lot obviously to do with the coach.

in nebraska's case, getting a west coast offensive minded coach and changing up philosophy might not have been the way to go. I know sometimes the adage is to change or be left behind, but sometimes if you stick to your guns, nothing can go wrong! if everyone is running the spread/west coast ****, then someone will adjust.

its harder for nebraska who have tons of tradition and history as compared to Texas Tech, who was just a red headed stepchild getting the table scraps of A&M and Texas. the old southwest and early years of big 12, everyone was all about D and running the ball, how can Tech compete on that level when eveyrone else does it 2x as better?

in comes Leach, and he changes our whole philosophy/identity, so now we're no longer known for our D or runing, but passing and offense.
                                granted it hasnt produced a big win, conf championship or title, but a lock for a bowl game year in and year out i will take, one of these years will be a good one, but we'll see!

as for Kentucky, Gillespie has done wonders for A&M, we'll see 2-3 years from now if he can get the talent to kentucky.

-Big Pimpin-

Comment

Working...
                                X