No announcement yet.

Ron Lewis For President Second Round Sunday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God job on the wagers today. As for the whole "it does no good for OSU to play instate schools...," well, I think that's bit cowardice. OSU has nothing to gain....don't hear Indiana complaining about playing Butler...don't hear Kentucky or Louisville complaining about their game....Nebraska plays Creighton. I don't know. If the shoe was on the other foot, I say, "Man up."

I guess I see your point...but think about what you are really saying. OSU has nothing to gain and can only lose by playing UC, XU, Miami, UD, etc. But I see that as being the same thing as saying "there is a good chance we could lose to the instate schools...therefore, we don't want to take a chance and play them."

No sour grapes here....but why does the football team play Ohio schools each year? They know there is about a 99% chance they will win. IMHO, OSU not playing the other solid Ohio teams is admitting that they know there is a good chance they will lose. What else can you call that than being scared?

Neither here nor there....good luck with the Vols....should be an interesting matchup. Better hope Memphis takes out A&M...playing them in San Antonio could be very, very dangerous to the Bucks.

GL!

Edit for Boilerbacker...Purdue played Butler too...don't hear them using the whole "it does us no good to play instate schools" either.
    Last edited by Nigel Tufnel; 03-18-2007, 09:11 PM.
    "You come at the King, you best not miss." Omar

Comment

Nigel- of course any of those programs could beat OSU. First off, a matchup between UD, Miami or X would mean wayyyyy more to those schools than it would OSU so you are already at a disadvantage there if you are OSU. It's one thing for LOU to lose to UK, it's another for OSU to lose to DAY. LOU and UK are on the same level as programs, OSU and UD or Miami aren't. Last thing you want to do is have an in state programs saying they beat you, who are basically considered inferior by a recruit. And lets face it, UD, X and Miami(oh) are not considered by most recruits to be on the level of an OSU because they don't play in a power conference. Call it scared if you want, i call it smart. OSU has NOTHING to gain by playing you so why would they do it....they certainly aren't going to do it to appease X nation. And another thing is that OSU's hoops program hasn't been all that great outside of a couple 1-2 year stints on a couple of occassions over the past 30 years. The ClarkK/Hopson era, the JimJ era, Schoonie Penn era and then now. That's about 8 years out of the past 30 and they have had some really bad teams in between. There are years where they would have lost to freeking NKU, let alone X or UD. So i am sure there has been some reluctance to take an inferior product on the road. OSU is an arrogant university and sees itself as the king of the state and they don't want to do anything to give an opinion otherwise. It is one of the few schools that doesn't have another power rival in the state. Most every other state has 2 power conference schools.....PennState/Pitt, UF/FSU, UGA/GTech, Va/VTech on and on. So they kind of get to be the king with a bunch of peasents running around them. It is what it is.

and to your point about SA, yes, should be a tough place to play if TXAM gets by MEM. Funny how you are a 1 seed and have to go play in a 3 seeds backyard.
      I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Nigel- here is about the best analogy i can give you. I tell you to get up, go outside and walk across the street, do a jumping jack in your neighbors front yard, then come back across the street, come inside and sit down. For doing that you get absolutely nothing. BUT...in doing so, you have a 40 percent chance of getting hit by a car and killed crossing the street. Who in their right mind is going to get out of their chair. Exactly the spot OSU is in. Check this out:

Ohio State

Miami(oh), Bowling Green, Toledo, Ohio, Youngstown State, Cleveland State, Akron, Kent, UD, Cincy, X, Wright State (12)

that is 12 other D-1 programs in the state, none of which are from a power conference. If you are OSU, you need to get the best kids out of Ohio for starters. Just like Indiana didn't do with Oden and Connolly. So the last thing you want is for a recruit to see you might have lost to UD or Miami or Kent etc....and you don't want schools like X, UD, Wright State being able to walk into a Moeller kids living room and say hey, we play OSU every year and we have beaten them in the past. You have just as good a shot at going to the tourney here as you do there etc.......trust me, walking into a Moeller kids living room and telling him you are Ohio State and you beat Dayton and Miami does nothing for that kid. Telling him you beat Florida or Michigan or IU does...and there in lies the difference in the 2 sets of programs...OSU and everyone else. I like X as i said, always have, but i can't argue with OSU's choice not to play them in hoops just like i don't see Kentucky taking on Western Kentucky every year (dangerous team) but they will play EKU cause they know they can blitz them, just like UCLA won't play SDSU, but they will play UCRiverside. Just unfortunately what CBB comes down to.
        Last edited by FlyersFan; 03-18-2007, 10:02 PM.

Comment

I hear ya, FF. Think we are on the same page here. Its just frustrating. You brought up UK/UL in your post...what about Neb/Creighton? IU or Purdue v. Butler? Using your line of logic, those programs are stupid for scheduling Creighton or Butler. Under the Huggins era @ UC, UC would have knocked OSU's dicks in the dirt at least 13 out of his 16 years @ UC. How can other Ohio schools not be frustrated @ OSU for avoiding them. Why does OSU football play other Ohio schools each year?

You're being a realist when it comes to college hoops....maybe I'm just being bitter. But what does it do for OSU's program to say they went to Florida and lost by 30?

IMHO, OSU's reign may be short lived. They are going to find themselves in that rut of recruting kids that stay 1 year...maybe 2. Think that will bite them in the ass in the long run.

Kudos to Lewis and Conley. But Miler outcoached Matta Saturday...I was a little surprised, to say the least. In the second half, when Miller had Oden out on an island against Cage...that was brilliant. Matta just looked confused. Niether here nor there, OSU pulled it out.

Should be interesting playing Tenn after what happened in Jan in Cbus. They are going to be frothing at the mouth to play OSU....on a side note, Tenn scheduled XU home and home...X went to Tenn 3 years ago and lost by a couple points...Pearl came in and bought out the game at X so his team wouldn't have to go the Cintas. Pussies. LOL.

College hoops is what it is...you put it correctly...but in a perfect world, the big boys would schedule home and homes. One would think the all mighty ESPN would push that...gotta believe OSU v. UC, OSU v. UD, OSU v. Xavier, OSU v. Miami would be a better draw for audiences thatn OSU v. East Butt **** West Carolina State A&M. Oh well...like I said, you're the realist...I'm the guy living in a dream world.

Good luck to the Bucks basketball team...I think they've got their work cut out for them.
          Last edited by Nigel Tufnel; 03-18-2007, 11:51 PM.
          "You come at the King, you best not miss." Omar

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
            4-1-1 today (1-1-1) yesterday...oh if not for the 3 bad beat pushes and loss...

:pud:
            Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Underdog88 View Post
              :pud:
              :beerbang:

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
                I hear ya, FF. Think we are on the same page here. Its just frustrating. You brought up UK/UL in your post...what about Neb/Creighton? IU or Purdue v. Butler? Using your line of logic, those programs are stupid for scheduling Creighton or Butler. Under the Huggins era @ UC, UC would have knocked OSU's dicks in the dirt at least 13 out of his 16 years @ UC. How can other Ohio schools not be frustrated @ OSU for avoiding them. Why does OSU football play other Ohio schools each year?

You're being a realist when it comes to college hoops....maybe I'm just being bitter. But what does it do for OSU's program to say they went to Florida and lost by 30?

IMHO, OSU's reign may be short lived. They are going to find themselves in that rut of recruting kids that stay 1 year...maybe 2. Think that will bite them in the ass in the long run.

Kudos to Lewis and Conley. But Miler outcoached Matta Saturday...I was a little surprised, to say the least. In the second half, when Miller had Oden out on an island against Cage...that was brilliant. Matta just looked confused. Niether here nor there, OSU pulled it out.

Should be interesting playing Tenn after what happened in Jan in Cbus. They are going to be frothing at the mouth to play OSU....on a side note, Tenn scheduled XU home and home...X went to Tenn 3 years ago and lost by a couple points...Pearl came in and bought out the game at X so his team wouldn't have to go the Cintas. Pussies. LOL.

College hoops is what it is...you put it correctly...but in a perfect world, the big boys would schedule home and homes. One would think the all mighty ESPN would push that...gotta believe OSU v. UC, OSU v. UD, OSU v. Xavier, OSU v. Miami would be a better draw for audiences thatn OSU v. East Butt **** West Carolina State A&M. Oh well...like I said, you're the realist...I'm the guy living in a dream world.

Good luck to the Bucks basketball team...I think they've got their work cut out for them.

Purdue has always played in state schools. Usually 2 or 3 per year. This year we lost AT Indiana State and played Butler in Indianapolis and lost that one. We also played Loyola which is right down the street in Chicago. We have tried for years,... actually decades to play ND. Digger refused probably because in some part he felt it would hurt his program to lose to Purdue. I really don't understand it myself, but think OSU should play at least 2 in state games and not vs teams like Baldwin Wallace or Ohio Northern.

Last year we lost to Loyola in IL, played IPFW (ok no biggie there....) lost at Evansville, and lost to X in Indy. 2004 played AT Miami OH (L), Cincy in Indy (L), and played Evansville. 2003 IPFW and Evansville at home. 2003 Miami, at X, a NON CONF game vs. Indiana (yes a non conference game in Dec...we only had IU on during the Big 10 season for one conf game) and Valpo.

OSU should play local teams instead of putting their tails between their legs. Only real reason they don't....they are chicken. Unless you can come up with another reason.
                Go Boilers!
                thru 2/3

NCAAF ’20 215-187-5 +75.19
                NCAAF ’21 200-169-7 +37.80
                NCAAF '22 239-216-14 +24.41

NFL ’20 128-110-8 +50.21
                NFL ’21 94-102-3 -15.37
                NFL '22 186-165-9 +54.63

NCAAB ’21-22 908-771-42 +196.07
                NCAAB '22-23 510-488-9 -43.13

NHL '20-21 171-154-2 +42.97
                NHL ’21-22 223-241-5 -65.79
                NHL '22-23 153-149-3 -21.97

NBA ’20-21 241-223-7 +11.97
                NBA ’21-22 282-266-6 -1.93
                NBA '22-23 225-246-9 -94.88

Comment

everyone- THX!....

nigel- i really felt for cage yesterday and really the whole X team. I pull for X against just about everyone and growing up in Cincy my preference was always X over Cincy. But they just didn't finish the deal on Saturday. And understand one thing, it does nothing for OSU to play X or any of the other instate teams so they don't. I don't understand why from a strategic standpoint, you X guys don't see that. What good does it do for OSU to beat X? nothing....but if X or Miami of Ohio beats OSU, that isn't good for the instate recruiting war. I don't blame OSU for not playing X, though, i think it would make for a great rivalry. Ask yourself if the shoe was on the other foot if X would play OSU.....i think anyone in that situation would say no. UCLA doesn't play any of the other SoCal programs for the most part other than the really bad ones they think they can torch like UCR. It just does nothing for a bigtime program to play a lesser program from the same area. I think most OSU fans respect X and their program and they don't look down on X. Leave it at that.

4-1-1 today (1-1-1) yesterday...oh if not for the 3 bad beat pushes and loss....

.GL to everyone!
                  Come on FF.....you really think OSU losing to X or Miami or Akron or Cincy is going to affect recruiting? You are dreaming. Years ago, Cincy would have had more to lose in recruiting if they lost to OSU, using that logic.
                  Go Boilers!
                  thru 2/3

NFL ’20 128-110-8 +50.21
                  NFL ’21 94-102-3 -15.37
                  NFL '22 186-165-9 +54.63

Comment

Originally posted by BoilerBacker View Post
                    Purdue has always played in state schools. Usually 2 or 3 per year. This year we lost AT Indiana State and played Butler in Indianapolis and lost that one. We also played Loyola which is right down the street in Chicago. We have tried for years,... actually decades to play ND. Digger refused probably because in some part he felt it would hurt his program to lose to Purdue. I really don't understand it myself, but think OSU should play at least 2 in state games and not vs teams like Baldwin Wallace or Ohio Northern.

Last year we lost to Loyola in IL, played IPFW (ok no biggie there....) lost at Evansville, and lost to X in Indy. 2004 played AT Miami OH (L), Cincy in Indy (L), and played Evansville. 2003 IPFW and Evansville at home. 2003 Miami, at X, a NON CONF game vs. Indiana (yes a non conference game in Dec...we only had IU on during the Big 10 season for one conf game) and Valpo.

OSU should play local teams instead of putting their tails between their legs. Only real reason they don't....they are chicken. Unless you can come up with another reason.

BB- i think you missed one of my points there. The dynamics of the makeup of the state is completely different than Indiana. Indiana has 3 MAJOR programs in IU, Purdue and Notre Dame that compete for the top kids. Ohio has ONE....THE Ohio State University. They pretty much get first pick of every kid in the state who wants to stay at home in hoops and football....why in the world would you do anything to change that by playing schools that might beat you in games that could do nothing but hurt your program. Football is different, none of those schools barring an absolute miracle could beat them...hoops is different. They aren't chicken, they are smart. Did you read what i said about playing those schools? There is nothing to gain at all. In football they play them as a favor to try and keep the money in state. That is the ONLY reason they play Miami, Cincy, Ohio etc.....They never used to until the state wanted to keep that money between the Ohio Schools. It just started back about 5-7 years ago. Hoops is a different animal. It's the dumbest argument to tell OSU they NEED to play in state schools. No they don't. They are going to do what is best for their program and that is to stay clear of playing schools like X and Dayton where a loss can only hurt them. Give me one thing that would benefit OSU in playing these schools...in all these arguments that is the question that goes unanswered cause the answer is nothing. From a fans' perspecitve it's great, from the schools it is dumb. End o' story

Comment

bottom line is OSU is an arrogant school in the state as i have said repeatedly and likes its reputation as top dog.

Comment

BB- i think you missed one of my points there. The dynamics of the makeup of the state is completely different than Indiana. Indiana has 3 MAJOR programs in IU, Purdue and Notre Dame that compete for the top kids. Ohio has ONE....THE Ohio State University. They pretty much get first pick of every kid in the state who wants to stay at home in hoops and football....why in the world would you do anything to change that by playing schools that might beat you in games that could do nothing but hurt your program. Football is different, none of those schools barring an absolute miracle could beat them...hoops is different. They aren't chicken, they are smart. Did you read what i said about playing those schools? There is nothing to gain at all. In football they play them as a favor to try and keep the money in state. That is the ONLY reason they play Miami, Cincy, Ohio etc.....They never used to until the state wanted to keep that money between the Ohio Schools. It just started back about 5-7 years ago. Hoops is a different animal. It's the dumbest argument to tell OSU they NEED to play in state schools. No they don't. They are going to do what is best for their program and that is to stay clear of playing schools like X and Dayton where a loss can only hurt them. Give me one thing that would benefit OSU in playing these schools...in all these arguments that is the question that goes unanswered cause the answer is nothing. From a fans' perspecitve it's great, from the schools it is dumb. End o' story
                        I think you are smoking some weed.....ONE major team?..... How about 3 and possibly as many as 7 or 8? X and Cincy are major teams. The MAC is down lately but Miami, Kent, Toledo, Ohio have had very good teams in the past. If what you are saying is true than OSU should have nothing to lose because anybody that is good will want to go there..... Please tell me you don't believe it. It sounds very egotistical and as much as I hate to say it, very Notre Damish.
                        Go Boilers!
                        thru 2/3

NFL ’20 128-110-8 +50.21
                        NFL ’21 94-102-3 -15.37
                        NFL '22 186-165-9 +54.63

Comment

I think you are smoking some weed.....ONE major team?..... How about 3 and possibly as many as 7 or 8? X and Cincy are major teams. The MAC is down lately but Miami, Kent, Toledo, Ohio have had very good teams in the past. If what you are saying is true than OSU should have nothing to lose because anybody that is good will want to go there..... Please tell me you don't believe it. It sounds very egotistical and as much as I hate to say it, very Notre Damish.
                          And until you start playing football AT some of the other schools (i know you have played at Cincy...) it is a joke. Winning at OSU in football is nearly impossible for any other Ohio colleges. I dont even consider it a big deal...basketball, however, is a different animal.
                          Go Boilers!
                          thru 2/3

NFL ’20 128-110-8 +50.21
                          NFL ’21 94-102-3 -15.37
                          NFL '22 186-165-9 +54.63

Comment

Look, OSU has nothing to gain by playing those schools. Why is that so hard to understand??????????????? And dang BB- what didn't you understand about the football part. The ENTIRE point of playing the game between OSU and the other schools in football is to MAKE MONEY for the state schools. It was a state thing that was adopted a few years back. It is the whole reason they started playing 2 schools every year from in-state. You make money by playing AT OSU for the schools, not going to play at Miami of Ohio. SDSU actually sold a game back to OSU to play back there so they could get more money for the game 2 years ago. I feel like i am beating my head against the wall here........

so answer the question. what does OSU have to gain by playing X or Miami? and if the answer is nothing then leave them alone. Call them chicken or whatever.....i have never said they aren't afraid of losing to those schools....my whole point is they ARE afraid of losing to those schools......and i am not arrogant about OSU......
                            Last edited by FlyersFan; 03-19-2007, 01:45 AM.

Comment

basically they looked at the schedule with the state schools and decided they wanted to keep the football money spread out amongst the Ohio schools as much as possible. OSU for the past few seasons has been rotating playing UC, Miami, Bowling Green, Toledo, Akron etc.......they never used to do that before. they aren't going to go play at Akron, it defeats the purpose of what ALL the schools are tying to accomplish in bringing in revenue. why in the world would you play in front of 35,000 and split that money when you could get the gate from 110,000 people.

Comment

You got that right Flyer....Kent has even agreed to a return trip to Ohio Stadium...hell one game there funds the entire football season and maybe more!

I missed that OSU/X game....but they kept announcing the score at The Schott during the River View / Hathaway Brown girls Division II final.....some of the ushers at one end of the arena had a portable TV and were cheering and telling everybody the score.....it was like a wave going through the crowd! I at least got to see the replays!

GO BUCKS!
                                Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

Working...
                                X