• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• :laughing: :puke:

Sorry had to throw up a bit but these conventions are a ******* JOKE!!!!

Comment

• The Speech
            What Palin wrought.
            by William Kristol
            09/04/2008 2:00:00 AM

NOW WE SEE why the liberal establishment has been trying for the last few days to destroy Sarah Palin. She is a threat to their hopes to take the White House this year, a threat to their broader claims to speak for youth, for women, and for the future, and a threat to their attempt to control the high ground in the culture war. After her stunning success last night, some in the liberal media may retire from the ring for a while. Others, with the threat now even more evident, may redouble their assaults and become even more desperate and vicious. Surely they'll fail.

A star was born last night--but I won't belabor that fact, especially since it was the title of my New York Times column Monday. Nor will I analyze the whole speech, which I'm sure will be ably done by others. I'll just make three points.

1. I've heard one or two Palin skeptics acknowledge that it was a good speech, but then say--well, another nominee could have given a similarly good speech. Actually, no. The speech was so effective because it was given by someone who is, at once: a relative unknown, an executive not a legislator, a real reformer, a middle American who made it on her own, an outsider

who was greeted with hostility by the D.C. establishment--and, yes, a woman. Obviously, another nominee could have given a good if different speech. But what made last night's speech special--what may have made last night an inflection point in this campaign, and even in American politics beyond Nov. 4--depended on the peculiar combination of qualities Sarah Palin brought to the table. Her speech was as far as a speech could be from being a generic one. Only Sarah Palin could have given it. The fact that she had the help of an excellent speechwriter, Matthew Scully, doesn't change the fact that this was in a precise way, and I'd almost say a profound way, Sarah Palin's speech.

2. The attack on Obama was very deft. Palin went right for Obama's fundamental weakness--that he's never done anything impressive. (And by giving such a good speech, she partly undermined his claim to be the only one who could speak impressively.) For example, consider this line--which I predict will be remembered two months from now: "I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a 'community organizer,' except that you have actual responsibilities." This deflates all the sanctimonious praise of Obama at the Democratic convention for all his selfless years as a community organizer. And if you take away the community organizing, Obama's just a career politician, one "who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform," one of those who has used "change to promote their careers." What's left of Obama's résumé, and his claim to deserve the presidency? Not much.

3. Don't underestimate the power of this statement: "To the families of special needs children all across this country, I have a message: For years, you sought to make America a more welcoming place for your sons and daughters. I pledge to you that if we are elected, you will have a friend and advocate in the White House." The McCain campaign should flesh this out in policy terms, should not get worried by the inevitable attacks on McCain for voting (as he must have) for some budget resolution or other that would have cut (or not increased as much as some wanted) some special-needs programs, and just keep on emphasizing that Palin will take the lead on these issues, and McCain will see to it she gets the support, budgetary and otherwise, she needs. This would be real compassionate conservatism, and would be good both for conservatism and for the country.

Comment

• I will have to say I was genuinely impressed by Palin's speech last night! She has a presence about her! I don't know if it sways me to act any different...but she wins my vote for best speech from either convention!
              White crushed Americans need weird energy - Robert Pollard

Comment

• Win or Lose this election Sarah Palin is the new face of the republican party. She could very well be the first female President of America. :beerbang:

Comment

• Article from the AP:

Attacks, praise stretch truth at GOP convention

By JIM KUHNHENN, Associated Press Writer Wed Sep 3, 11:48 PM ET

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and her Republican supporters held back little Wednesday as they issued dismissive attacks on Barack Obama and flattering praise on her credentials to be vice president. In some cases, the reproach and the praise stretched the truth.
                  ADVERTISEMENT

Some examples:

PALIN: "I have protected the taxpayers by vetoing wasteful spending ... and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress. I told the Congress 'thanks but no thanks' for that Bridge to Nowhere."

THE FACTS: As mayor of Wasilla, Palin hired a lobbyist and traveled to Washington annually to support earmarks for the town totaling $27 million. In her two years as governor, Alaska has requested nearly $750 million in special federal spending, by far the largest per-capita request in the nation. While Palin notes she rejected plans to build a $398 million bridge from Ketchikan to an island with 50 residents and an airport, that opposition came only after the plan was ridiculed nationally as a "bridge to nowhere."

PALIN: "There is much to like and admire about our opponent. But listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform — not even in the state senate."

THE FACTS: Compared to McCain and his two decades in the Senate, Obama does have a more meager record. But he has worked with Republicans to pass legislation that expanded efforts to intercept illegal shipments of weapons of mass destruction and to help destroy conventional weapons stockpiles. The legislation became law last year. To demean that accomplishment would be to also demean the work of Republican Sen. Richard Lugar of Indiana, a respected foreign policy voice in the Senate. In Illinois, he was the leader on two big, contentious measures in Illinois: studying racial profiling by police and requiring recordings of interrogations in potential death penalty cases. He also successfully co-sponsored major ethics reform legislation.

PALIN: "The Democratic nominee for president supports plans to raise income taxes, raise payroll taxes, raise investment income taxes, raise the death tax, raise business taxes, and increase the tax burden on the American people by hundreds of billions of dollars."

THE FACTS: The Tax Policy Center, a think tank run jointly by the Brookings Institution and the Urban Institute, concluded that Obama's plan would increase after-tax income for middle-income taxpayers by about 5 percent by 2012, or nearly $2,200 annually. McCain's plan, which cuts taxes across all income levels, would raise after tax-income for middle-income taxpayers by 3 percent, the center concluded.

Obama would provide $80 billion in tax breaks, mainly for poor workers and the elderly, including tripling the Earned Income Tax Credit for minimum-wage workers and higher credits for larger families.

He also would raise income taxes, capital gains and dividend taxes on the wealthiest. He would raise payroll taxes on taxpayers with incomes above $250,000, and he would raise corporate taxes. Small businesses that make more than $250,000 a year would see taxes rise.

MCCAIN: "She's been governor of our largest state, in charge of 20 percent of America's energy supply ... She's responsible for 20 percent of the nation's energy supply. I'm entertained by the comparison and I hope we can keep making that comparison that running a political campaign is somehow comparable to being the executive of the largest state in America," he said in an interview with ABC News' Charles Gibson.

THE FACTS: McCain's phrasing exaggerates both claims. Palin is governor of a state that ranks second nationally in crude oil production, but she's no more "responsible" for that resource than President Bush was when he was governor of Texas, another oil-producing state. In fact, her primary power is the ability to tax oil, which she did in concert with the Alaska Legislature. And where Alaska is the largest state in America, McCain could as easily have called it the 47th largest state — by population.

MCCAIN: "She's the commander of the Alaska National Guard. ... She has been in charge, and she has had national security as one of her primary responsibilities," he said on ABC.

THE FACTS: While governors are in charge of their state guard units, that authority ends whenever those units are called to actual military service. When guard units are deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, for example, they assume those duties under "federal status," which means they report to the Defense Department, not their governors. Alaska's national guard units have a total of about 4,200 personnel, among the smallest of state guard organizations.

FORMER ARKANSAS GOV. MIKE HUCKABEE: Palin "got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States."

THE FACTS: A whopper. Palin got 616 votes in the 1996 mayor's election, and got 909 in her 1999 re-election race, for a total of 1,525. Biden dropped out of the race after the Iowa caucuses, but he still got 76,165 votes in 23 states and the District of Columbia where he was on the ballot during the 2008 presidential primaries.

FORMER MASSACHUSETTS GOV. MITT ROMNEY: "We need change, all right — change from a liberal Washington to a conservative Washington! We have a prescription for every American who wants change in Washington — throw out the big-government liberals, and elect John McCain and Sarah Palin."

THE FACTS: A Back-to-the-Future moment. George W. Bush, a conservative Republican, has been president for nearly eight years. And until last year, Republicans controlled Congress. Only since January 2007 have Democrats have been in charge of the House and Senate.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoKnows View Post
                    She could very well be the first female President of America. :beerbang:
                    Now THAT would be scary.
                    She's a wacko...IMO.
                    It's one thing to be a conservative, but she's off the charts.

Gotta hand it to her though...she pulled off an effective speech.
                    Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 09-04-2008, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
                      Now THAT would be scary.
                      She's a wacko...IMO.

Interesting but intelligent sentiments.....Obama can have your vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by coreyschucky View Post
                        Article from the AP:

Attacks, praise stretch truth at GOP convention

By JIM KUHNHENN, Associated Press Writer Wed Sep 3, 11:48 PM ET

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and her Republican supporters held back little Wednesday as they issued dismissive attacks on Barack Obama and flattering praise on her credentials to be vice president. In some cases, the reproach and the praise stretched the truth.
                        ADVERTISEMENT

Some examples:

PALIN: "I have protected the taxpayers by vetoing wasteful spending ... and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress. I told the Congress 'thanks but no thanks' for that Bridge to Nowhere."

THE FACTS: As mayor of Wasilla, Palin hired a lobbyist and traveled to Washington annually to support earmarks for the town totaling $27 million. In her two years as governor, Alaska has requested nearly $750 million in special federal spending, by far the largest per-capita request in the nation. While Palin notes she rejected plans to build a $398 million bridge from Ketchikan to an island with 50 residents and an airport, that opposition came only after the plan was ridiculed nationally as a "bridge to nowhere."

PALIN: "There is much to like and admire about our opponent. But listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform — not even in the state senate."

THE FACTS: Compared to McCain and his two decades in the Senate, Obama does have a more meager record. But he has worked with Republicans to pass legislation that expanded efforts to intercept illegal shipments of weapons of mass destruction and to help destroy conventional weapons stockpiles. The legislation became law last year. To demean that accomplishment would be to also demean the work of Republican Sen. Richard Lugar of Indiana, a respected foreign policy voice in the Senate. In Illinois, he was the leader on two big, contentious measures in Illinois: studying racial profiling by police and requiring recordings of interrogations in potential death penalty cases. He also successfully co-sponsored major ethics reform legislation.

PALIN: "The Democratic nominee for president supports plans to raise income taxes, raise payroll taxes, raise investment income taxes, raise the death tax, raise business taxes, and increase the tax burden on the American people by hundreds of billions of dollars."

THE FACTS: The Tax Policy Center, a think tank run jointly by the Brookings Institution and the Urban Institute, concluded that Obama's plan would increase after-tax income for middle-income taxpayers by about 5 percent by 2012, or nearly $2,200 annually. McCain's plan, which cuts taxes across all income levels, would raise after tax-income for middle-income taxpayers by 3 percent, the center concluded.

Obama would provide $80 billion in tax breaks, mainly for poor workers and the elderly, including tripling the Earned Income Tax Credit for minimum-wage workers and higher credits for larger families.

He also would raise income taxes, capital gains and dividend taxes on the wealthiest. He would raise payroll taxes on taxpayers with incomes above $250,000, and he would raise corporate taxes. Small businesses that make more than $250,000 a year would see taxes rise.

MCCAIN: "She's been governor of our largest state, in charge of 20 percent of America's energy supply ... She's responsible for 20 percent of the nation's energy supply. I'm entertained by the comparison and I hope we can keep making that comparison that running a political campaign is somehow comparable to being the executive of the largest state in America," he said in an interview with ABC News' Charles Gibson.

THE FACTS: McCain's phrasing exaggerates both claims. Palin is governor of a state that ranks second nationally in crude oil production, but she's no more "responsible" for that resource than President Bush was when he was governor of Texas, another oil-producing state. In fact, her primary power is the ability to tax oil, which she did in concert with the Alaska Legislature. And where Alaska is the largest state in America, McCain could as easily have called it the 47th largest state — by population.

MCCAIN: "She's the commander of the Alaska National Guard. ... She has been in charge, and she has had national security as one of her primary responsibilities," he said on ABC.

THE FACTS: While governors are in charge of their state guard units, that authority ends whenever those units are called to actual military service. When guard units are deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, for example, they assume those duties under "federal status," which means they report to the Defense Department, not their governors. Alaska's national guard units have a total of about 4,200 personnel, among the smallest of state guard organizations.

FORMER ARKANSAS GOV. MIKE HUCKABEE: Palin "got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States."

THE FACTS: A whopper. Palin got 616 votes in the 1996 mayor's election, and got 909 in her 1999 re-election race, for a total of 1,525. Biden dropped out of the race after the Iowa caucuses, but he still got 76,165 votes in 23 states and the District of Columbia where he was on the ballot during the 2008 presidential primaries.

FORMER MASSACHUSETTS GOV. MITT ROMNEY: "We need change, all right — change from a liberal Washington to a conservative Washington! We have a prescription for every American who wants change in Washington — throw out the big-government liberals, and elect John McCain and Sarah Palin."

THE FACTS: A Back-to-the-Future moment. George W. Bush, a conservative Republican, has been president for nearly eight years. And until last year, Republicans controlled Congress. Only since January 2007 have Democrats have been in charge of the House and Senate.
                        and i thank you corey for this post
                        ****all plays 4.4 units to win 4 units unless otherwise noted****

NBA 20-22 -16.8 units
                        NHL 1-0 +4.0 units
                        MLB 0-1 -4.8 units
                        CFB 12-6-1 +21.6 units

Comment

• I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

• September 4, 2008

What They're Saying About Governor Palin's Address To The Republican National Convention

Governor Palin Was "Simply Brilliant"

ABC's George Stephanopoulos: "She Gets An 'A.'" ABC's CYNTHIA MCFADDEN: "Joining me now is ABC's chief Washington correspondent George Stephanopoulos for the Nightline report card. So George, what about it, did she win them over?" STEPHANOPOULOS: "She definitely gets an 'A' for this, especially when you look at that crowd tonight. They loved every minute of her speech, but also I think to the television audience, she was appealing, she was funny, she was warm at times, very, very tough at times as well. And she really did have an ability to bring these things down to earth, bring these issues down to earth, like when she talked about saving money in the state of Alaska." (ABC's "Nightline," 9/3/08)

NBC's Tom Brokaw: "She Could Not Have Been More Winning Or Engaging." "Tonight makes a very auspicious debut as the vice presidential candidate before this hall and a national television audience. She could not have been more winning or engaging." (NBC's "Republican National Convention Coverage," 9/3/08)

CNN's Anderson Cooper: Governor Palin "Is A Force To Be Reckoned With." "I mean as you said a star was born certainly for the Republican Party. Whether you agree with her or disagree with her, no one has any doubt, I think listening to that speech, that she is a force to be reckoned with." (CNN's, "CNN Election Center," 9/4/08)

CNN's Candy Crowley: "She Was, I Thought, Terrific." (CNN's "Republican National Convention," 9/3/08)

CNN's Wolf Blitzer: "And She Not Only Hit A Home Run, It Might Have Been Even A Grand Slam." (CNN's "CNN Election Center," 9/4/08)

CNN's Jeffrey Toobin: "This Speech Was A Heck Of A Lot Better Than Joe Biden's Speech." "Well, let's just start with an obvious point that I don't think anyone has made yet. This speech was a heck of a lot better than Joe Biden's speech." (CNN's, "CNN Election Center," 9/4/08)

ABC's Robin Roberts: "Oh, What A Night!" "Oh, what a night! Can we say this place went nuts, erupted when John McCain's running-mate took the stage, a lengthy standing ovation for Sarah Palin, the self-professed average hockey mom. Such support she received from her family and the delegates here, even the Michigan delegates were dressed in matching hockey shirts and she did stir things up here last night." (ABC's "Good Morning America," 9/4/08)

Former Clinton Adviser Howard Wolfson: "Quite Impressive." "And look, she did a very, very good job. I agree Democrats have reason to be concerned. Nobody should underestimate this woman's political ability. To go on stage in a hall like this, to give a speech like this for the first time ever, quite impressive." (Fox News' "American Election Headquarters," 9/3/08)

The Financial Times' Chrystia Freeland: Governor Palin Was "Absolutely Dazzling." "Absolutely, she did not sound like she was from one of the coasts. She sounded like she was a really normal, down-to-earth person, and at the same time, clearly she is an extraordinary person, because she was absolutely dazzling." (MSNBC's "Morning Joe," 9/4/08)

The Washington Post's Dan Balz: Governor Palin "Ready For A Fight." "On Wednesday night, she took the opportunity to answer back, and she put her critics -- Democrats, the media and the Washington political establishment -- on notice that she is ready for a fight." (Dan Balz, "Striking Back At Critics, One By One," The Washington Post, 9/4/08)

The Weekly Standard's Fred Barnes: "She's A Natural." "She's a natural, gifted with the ability to connect with people in a way that few politicians can and to perform under extreme pressure. She has star quality." (Fred Barnes, "The Natural," The Weekly Standard, 9/4/08)

Barnes: Governor Palin "Made It Look Like She'd Been Performing On The National Political Stage For Years." "Sarah Palin delivered what may have been the most important speech ever by a vice presidential candidate and made it look like she'd been performing on the national political stage for years." (Fred Barnes, "The Natural," The Weekly Standard, 9/4/08)

The Associated Press: Governor Palin "Reminiscent Of Ronald Reagan." "Sarah Palin delivered. But the former TV sportscaster spoke in calm, TV-friendly tones reminiscent of Ronald Reagan. Like the former GOP president, Palin warmed the crowd with quips and jokes." (Tom Raum and Liz Sidoti, "Palin Delivers Star-Turning Performance For GOP," The Associated Press, 9/4/08)

MSNBC's David Gregory: "I Think It Was A Very Strong Presentation." "I think this was a very strong presentation. I think it was well-received. I think what Sarah Palin achieved tonight, what Governor Palin achieved, is something that a lot of Republicans who are here and who are watching didn`t think was necessarily possible. And that is that there could be a very energized and enthusiastic base of the Republican Party." (MSNBC's "MSNBC Special," 9/3/08)

Roll Call's Mort Kondracke: "Simply Brilliant." "Simply brilliant ... It was incredibly sophisticated and effective. You know, it was derisive of Barack Obama in a sort of funny way but a very poignant way, about his lack of experience and about, you know, her experience as a mayor." (Fox News' "American Election Headquarters," 9/3/08)

The Weekly Standard's Bill Kristol: "A Star Was Born Last Night." "A star was born last night--but I won't belabor that fact, especially since it was the title of my New York Times column Monday." (Bill Kristol, "The Speech," The Weekly Standard, 9/4/08)

Fox News' Chris Wallace: "A New Star In The Political Galaxy." "I don't think it's overstating it to say being right here on the floor that a star was born tonight -- a new star in the political galaxy." (FOX News' "On The Record," 9/4/08)

The Washington Post's Jonathan Capehart: "Absolutely A Star Was Born In The Republican Party. There's No Question That She Delivered An Incredible Performance." (MSNBC's "Morning Joe," 9/4/08)

The Washington Post Editorial: "The Alaska Governor Proved Herself More Than Capable Of Making A Strong Case For Nominee John McCain." "Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin's acceptance speech at the convention last night was an impressive debut on the national stage -- well-delivered, with an appealing combination of charm and bite befitting her description of a hockey mom as a pit bull in lipstick. The Alaska governor proved herself more than capable of making a strong case for nominee John McCain and landing some pretty good zingers, aimed at both the Democratic nominee and the 'Washington elite.'" (Editorial, "Ms. Palin's Introduction," The Washington Post, 9/4/08)

Democrat Strategist Steve McMahon: Governor Palin "Confident, Articulate And Strong." "'She was confident, articulate and strong. And she seemed folksy and real. So she's passed the style test. The next test will be on substance,' said Democratic analyst Steve McMahon." (David Brown, Salena Zito and Mike Wereschagin, "'Small-Town' VP Nominee Palin Stands Tall," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, 9/4/08)

A Brilliant Speech That Electrified:

The New York Times: "Palin's Appearance Electrified A Convention." "Ms. Palin's appearance electrified a convention that has been consumed by questions of whether she was up to the job, as she launched slashing attacks on Mr. Obama's claims of experience." (Elisabeth Bumiller and Michael Cooper, "Palin Assails Critics And Electrifies Party," The New York Times, 9/4/08)

The Washington Post: Governor Palin "Electrified The Republican Convention." "Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin electrified the Republican convention Wednesday night, pitching herself as a champion of government reform, mocking Democratic candidate Barack Obama as an elitist and belittling media criticism of her experience." (Michael D. Shear, "Palin Comes Out Fighting," The Washington Post, 9/4/08)

The Associated Press: Governor Palin "Energized Delegates With A Rousing Speech." "The Republican presidential nomination his at last, John McCain makes his case for the presidency to the GOP convention and the nation after his surprise choice for vice president, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, energized delegates with a rousing speech." (Glen Johnson, "Palin Revs Up Republicans For McCain," The Associated Press, 9/4/08)

ABC's George Stephanopoulos: "There Were A Lot Beautiful And Effective Lines In This Speech." (ABC's "Republican National Convention Coverage," 9/3/08)

ABC's Diane Sawyer: "It Was Thunderous In This Room Last Night." "Right here at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul and it was thunderous in this room last night." (ABC's "Good Morning America," 9/4/08)

CBS' Maggie Rodriguez: "She Needed To Deliver Here Last Night, And Talk To Anybody, And They Say She Did Not Disappoint. They Just Ate It Up, Harry." (CBS' "The Early Show," 9/4/08)

CNN's Wolf Blitzer: Governor Palin "Delivered A Very, Very Passionate And Rousing Speech." "What a night it's been. History has been made. The Republicans going forward for the first time in their history with a woman who will be on the ticket. And we heard from the governor of Alaska. She delivered a very, very passionate and rousing speech." (CNN's "Larry King Live," 9/4/08)

FOX News' Juan Williams: Democrats Say Barack Obama "Is Terrific." "What I have been hearing from Democrats around the country as they've been watching is they say, 'She is terrific.'" (FOX News' "On The Record," 9/4/08)

MSNBC's Mika Brzezinski: "She Sounded Good, She Was Good And She Connects With Women." "But here's your problem: she looked good, she sounded good, she was good and she connects with women. I'm telling you right now, I watched it from my perspective as a working mother and I can tell you there are probably many out there facing many different types of challenges in their lives, economic, and that woman spoke to women across America in a way any other candidate, male -- sorry -- could not have. She brings a new dimension to this race, you have to admit it." (MSNBC's "Morning Joe," 9/4/08)

NBC's Meredith Vieira: Governor Palin "Energized The Crowd." "She brought them to their feet. In the biggest speech of her lifetime, and her first ever to a national audience, Alaska Governor Sarah Palin energized the crowd and she showed that she could throw some pretty good punches of her own." (NBC's "Today," 9/4/08)

Politico: Governor Palin "Wowed The Republican Convention." "In her first national address, vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin wowed the Republican convention using wit, sarcasm, charm and ridicule in a full scale assault on a now familiar cast of GOP targets -- an elitist adversary, a biased media and high taxes." (Jeanne Cummings and Beth Frerking, "Palin Wows GOP, Puts Dems On Notice," Politico, 9/4/08)

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Governor Palin "Brought Thundering Ovations." "Unknown even to many Republicans a week ago, Palin wrapped a personal profile and philosophical pitch into a 40-minute talk that brought thundering ovations from delegates at the Republican National Convention." (David Brown, Salena Zito and Mike Wereschagin, "'Small-town' VP Nominee Palin Stands Tall," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, 9/4/08)

A Hockey Mom To Be Reckoned With:

Politico: "Palin Will Not Flinch From The Fight." "When the nearly 40-minute address came to a close, however, all doubts were doused and Democrats were on notice that Palin will not flinch from the fight." (Jeanne Cummings and Beth Frerking, "Palin Wows GOP, Puts Dems On Notice," Politico, 9/4/08)

CBS' Jeff Glor: "This Was A Hockey Mom Not Afraid To Throw Body Checks, As She Slammed Barack Obama's Early Work In Chicago As A Community Organizer." (CBS' "The Early Show," 9/4/08)

The Weekly Standard's Bill Kristol: "Palin Went Right For Obama's Fundamental Weakness." "The attack on Obama was very deft. Palin went right for Obama's fundamental weakness--that he's never done anything impressive. (And by giving such a good speech, she partly undermined his claim to be the only one who could speak impressively.)." (Bill Kristol, "The Speech," The Weekly Standard, 9/4/08)

Comment

• Day Four

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 4, 2008

The 2008 Republican National Convention today announced the full program of events for Thursday, Sept. 4. The evening’s program will feature John McCain’s speech accepting the Republican Party’s nomination for the presidency. Among the other speakers participating in this evening’s program are Gov. Tim Pawlenty (Minn.), former Gov. Tom Ridge (Penn.), U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham (S.C.) and Mrs. Cindy McCain. The speakers’ remarks will reflect the convention’s overall theme, "Country First,"and the theme for Thursday’s events, which is "peace." Participants are organized by hour of participation:

5 p.m. to 6 p.m.
                              Entertainment (Music): Al Williams
                              Entertainment (Monologue): James McEachin
                              Call to Order, Introduction of Colors: Republican National Committee Chairman Robert M. "Mike" Duncan
                              Presentation of Colors: Fort Snelling Joint Services Color Guards
                              Pledge of Allegiance: Olympians Ryan Berube, Mitch Gaylord, Brittany Hayes, Barbra Higgins, Larsen Jensen, Elle Logan, Marcus McElhenney and John Naber
                              Singing of the National Anthem: Trace Adkins
                              Invocation: His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios
                              6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
                              Speaker: U.S. Rep. Tom Cole (Okla.)
                              Speaker: Erik Paulsen
                              Speaker: Jay Love
                              Speaker: Charlie Summers
                              Speaker: Aaron Schock
                              Speaker: David Cappiello
                              Speaker: U.S. Sen. John Ensign (Nev.)
                              Video: "Country First: Peace," with narration by Robert Duvall
                              Statement of Rule Regarding Vice Presidential Nomination; Recognition of Delegates Making Motions; and Adoption and Announcement of Nominee: U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell (Ky.)
                              Speaker: Maria Cino, President and CEO of the 2008 Republican National Convention
                              Speaker: U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn (Tenn.)
                              Speaker: The Honorable Rosario Marin
                              7 p.m. to 8 p.m.
                              Speaker: Joe Watkins
                              Speaker: U.S. Sen. Mel Martinez (Fla.)
                              Speaker: Gov. Tim Pawlenty (Minn.)
                              Speaker with Video: Former U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (Tenn.)
                              Speaker: Lt. Gen. Carol Mutter, USMC (Ret.)
                              Speaker: U.S. Sen. Sam Brownback (Kan.)
                              Speaker: U.S. Rep. Mary Fallin (Okla.)
                              Video: "World Stood Still"
                              8 p.m. to 9 p.m.
                              Speaker: U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham (S.C.)
                              Video: "Vice Presidential Nominee Governor Sarah Palin"
                              Speaker: Former Gov. Tom Ridge (Penn.)
                              Video: "America’s Place in the World"
                              Speaker: Mrs. Cindy McCain
                              9 p.m. to 10 p.m.
                              Video: "Senator John McCain"
                              Speaker: Presidential Nominee John McCain
                              10 p.m. to Conclusion
                              Floor Demonstration, Balloon Drop, McCain and Palin Families on Stage
                              Introduction of Presiding Officer: U.S. House Republican Leader John Boehner (Ohio)
                              Benediction: Pastor Dan Yeary
                              Introduction of Delegate for Motion, Adoption and Adjournment: U.S. House Republican Leader John Boehner (Ohio)

<object id="utv_o_163092" height="520" width="650" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"><param value="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/live/272800" name="movie" /><param value="true" name="allowFullScreen" /><param value="always" name="allowScriptAccess" /><param value="transparent" name="wmode" /><param value="viewcount=false&amp;brand=embed" name="flashvars" /><embed name="utv_e_438595" id="utv_e_995234" flashvars="viewcount=false&amp;brand=embed" width="400" height="320" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" src="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/live/272800" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></object>
                              Last edited by homedawg; 09-04-2008, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dananderson32 View Post
                                and i thank you corey for this post
                                D, anyone can cut and paste a trillion slogans, banners, youtube videos, stream videos, conspiracy blogs and one-sided facts to fill 42 pages of a thread! LOL I take less than 10% of what's been printed as "research" here to be just biased thoughts and bogus convictions! Posting hundreds of anti-Obama slogans isn't enough to change minds!

Atleast Skins does give his own opinion...kinda! :beer2:

I have seen and heard both sides! What I want to know from you guys is this....do you really believe McCain can make a difference to our country? Leave Obama comparisons out of your answer...please! I want to know how you think McCain can unravel the disaster of the last 8 years!! And guys be honest, if you think the last 8 years hasn't been a disaster every thread talking about govt on this site should be erased and taken down forever!

I want to know why I should vote for McCain! (again not why I shouldn't vote for Obama...just pure thoughts about McCain!!)

Maybe we as a forum can enlighten anyone who is afraid to step out and make a decision!
                                White crushed Americans need weird energy - Robert Pollard

Comment

Working...
                                X