No announcement yet.

thurs discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I looked at ALA.....i am also looking hard at UW. They have really been playing over their heads and one thing about this team is that their shot selection is AWFUL. and i mean AWFUL. They have been fortunate to rebound it well offensively and get some 2nd chance points. But this is a payback game for UW, and lets not forget, UW was picked to win this **** egg to start the season. UAZ is on a 4 game winning streak in conference and i think UW gets them today at home and does so by DD.

still would like a little feedback on that ND gmae if anyone has a good read on it.

any ****ball conference games looking good?
    I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Originally posted by TheBeholdah View Post

Tennessee-7 at lsu= to anyone considering the home dog here, LSU is DREADFUL. its tennessee or no play
      do you really want TENN on the road the way they have been playing??....that is not by the way any endorsement at all for LSU.....:puke:

does anyone know if hot plate or ricky blanton are playing for LSU Thursday....:laughing::laughing:

Comment

I think my 3 best ML plays that i will throw in a Parlay are:

Duke 1st half ML
        Gonzaga
        Washington ML

Laying some juice on it, but think its solid. All home teams too.

Also like Maryland +4 on the road at FSU.

And maybe Bama at home vs. Florida depedning on what that line does.

GL

Comment

I think my 3 best ML plays that i will throw in a Parlay are:

Duke 1st half ML
          Gonzaga
          Washington ML

Laying some juice on it, but think its solid. All home teams too.

Also like Maryland +4 on the road at FSU.

And maybe Bama at home vs. Florida depedning on what that line does.

GL

Comment

I am also looking at the UW/Zona game. I like the number and how it's moved since the open and UW is blowing people away at home. But at the same time I watched the WSU game last Saturday and they got handled in the first half by a mediocre WSU team. When WSU laid down in the second half UW just destroyed them. Arizona has shown their defense can travel a little by winning 3 of 5 pac 10 road games. Are they just getting comfortable with Sean Miller as they have found a rotation and integrated Parrom into their team? The line movement tells me UW, the appearance of a commitment on the defensive end in Miller's first year tells me the Cats might keep it close. I can be swayed on this one.

As for UT and LSU that just looks like a trap but I don't think I could even look at LSU unless the number was double figures. But if UT comes to play they should wreck havoc on a miserable LSU team. Boy they have fallen fast since their NCAA run.
            MLB
            May
            Overall 43-43 +5.5 Units
            Sides 19-22 -0.0 Units
            Total 24-21 +5.5 Units

April
            Overall 61-44 +47.1 Units
            Sides 28-28 +4.0 Units
            Totals 33-16 +43.1 Units

Comment

yea i dont think im going to take tennessee unless the line drops and its too tempting to lay off

franchise- i cant sway you on that game because... i have no freakin idea what the hell's goin on in that conference haha. i decided to completely cut the pac 10 out of my capping a few weeks ago. that is strange and ****ty conference.

After looking further into the toledo game, they truly are a mess. they have no quality depth whatsoever, and their starters are mainly freshman as well. they dont do anything well. its hard to envision them winning another game this year, just dont have the horses. if joe likes ohio today i'll probably lay the road chalk. toledo's only gotten out of the 40's once in last 6 games.

Comment

i was pretty impressed watchiing portland the other day at usf, this was posted on portland's board

Now, let me preface this by saying that I realize Gonzaga beat us at home and that these types of comparisons really don't mean anything. However, I do think it's fair to say that without a doubt Portland has been playing much better basketball the past two weeks than Gonzaga. And we've been doing it without our leading scorer. I know the Zags like to complain about how the teams they face are totally jacked up to play Gonzaga, but that line of reasoning only goes so far with me... every team wants to win every game, no matter who they are playing. Yes, maybe it's more exciting to play a ranked team, but it's not like they don't care about playing us or haven't scouted and prepared for us.

OK... now the numbers.

LMU
                Portland 79-39 (+40)
                Gonzaga 85-69 (+16)
                Advantage: Portland +24

Pepperdine
                Portland 80-64 (+16)
                Gonzaga 91-84 (+7)
                Advantage: Portland +9

Santa Clara
                Portland 74-52 (+18)
                Gonzaga 71-64 (+7)
                Advantage: Portland +11

San Francisco
                Portland 74-58 (+16)
                Gonzaga 77-81 (-4)
                Advantage: Portland +20

Combined, Portland has outscored its past four opponents by 64 more points than Gonzaga. Even taking out the LMU blowout, we've outscored the other three opponents by 40.

Especially notable is how good our defense has been... we allowed those four teams to score 85 less points than Gonzaga did.

Now, do I think that this means the game up in Spokane will be a cakewalk? Of course not. But I do think we've been playing some damn good basketball the past two weeks... better basketball than the Zags, if you ask me.

Thursday night will be a dog fight, but it's also an amazing opportunity. Here's hoping we keep this streak of hot play alive and go up there and just play our game. Good things might happen!

Comment

portland is certainly rolling right now and catching a lot of points tonight

Comment

Don't know why that UB/CMU line has dropped to CMU -1.5 when you look at the intangibles:

All-Time Series -- CMU is 3-1 against UB under Ernie Zeigler, with all four games being decided by fewer than six points.

Swarming ‘D’ -- The Chippewas have allowed the fewest points in the MAC during league
                    games, giving up an average of 58.6 points and holding league opponents to 38.9 percent
                    from the field, the second-best mark in the MAC. • CMU held Ball State to just 38 points and 24 percent from the floor in on Jan 13 in a 53-38 victory at Rose Center. The 38 points
                    are the fewest CMU has allowed to a Division-I opponent since 1950 and third-fewest to any opponent in that stretch. • CMU is holdong opponents to just 26 percent from beyond the arc in MAC play, the second-best mark in the conference.

There’s No Place Like Home -- CMU owns a +13.7 scoring margin at Rose Center (71.4 ppg/57.7 points allowed) but finds itself -6.8 on the road (58.2 ppg/66.2 points allowed). The Chippewas have shot 46 percent at Rose Center this season, 38 percent everywhere else. There’s also a 65-point difference beyond the arc (.403-.338) for CMU.
                    Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

Originally posted by TheBeholdah View Post
                      After looking further into the toledo game, they truly are a mess. they have no quality depth whatsoever, and their starters are mainly freshman as well. they dont do anything well. its hard to envision them winning another game this year, just don't have the horses. if joe likes ohio today i'll probably lay the road chalk. toledo's only gotten out of the 40's once in last 6 games.

Watching the line on this one and haven't made a decision yet. OU definitely the better team, but in the last two games UT actually covered as DD road dogs at Akron and BG!

Here are two stories on UT:

Rockets hurting with shortage of post players
                      By ZACH SILKA
                      BLADE SPORTS WRITER

BOWLING GREEN — Still short-handed down low, the three post players remaining on the University of Toledo’s roster were up against it again last night.

Facing bigger, stronger, and more seasoned forwards without junior Mouhamed Lo for the third straight game, the Rockets’ big men were dominated early and overmatched throughout in a 58-47 loss to Bowling Green at Anderson Arena.

In the absence of Lo, who has been indefinitely suspended for unspecified disciplinary reasons, junior Justin Anyijong, sophomore Ian Salter, and freshman Jordan Dressler have been left to carry the load. So far, Lo’s void has been considerable.

The Falcons (11-9, 4-4 Mid-American Conference) outscored UT 18-6 in the paint in the first half, led by eight points a piece from senior forwards Otis Polk and Erik Marschall.

Anyijong dropped in a season-high 18 points as the lone player in double figures for UT (3-19, 0-8), which has now lost 12 straight. But Anyijong did much of his damage from the outside, hitting 4-of-5 3-pointers, as the Rockets struggled to find any kind of interior presence. Dressler and Salter posted just two points apiece.

When exactly Lo will return for the Rockets is anybody’s guess.

“His status is still up in the air right now,” Cross said. “The terms of his reinstatement we won’t disclose, but I don’t know when that’s going to happen.”

Until then, the Rockets will have to make do with the lineup they have — a lineup that was already short one scholarship player after redshirt freshman Stephen Albrecht opted to transfer at the end of December.

Losses mount, crowds shrink for University of Toledo men's basketball team
                      Program sinks to depths unseen in school history
                      By ZACH SILKA
                      BLADE SPORTS WRITER

The road to rebuilding a program is never a smooth one and is often lined with potholes along the way. The University of Toledo men's basketball team has hit several of them in the last year and a half, including transfers, dismissals, suspensions, possible NCAA sanctions, slumping attendance, blowout losses, and lengthy losing streaks.

During his introduction as the Rockets' new coach on April 11, 2008, Gene Cross was, by his own admission, "really, really excited" about the challenges ahead. Now, nearly two years and 43 losses later, the excitement level has dwindled as the program has fallen on hard times and sunk to depths never before seen in school history.

With the program in turmoil, fans are not coming through the turnstiles as frequently. Average attendance so far this season is 4,048, down from 5,610 per game last season at the newly renovated Savage Arena.

The Rockets' 11-game losing streak is their longest ever, surpassing a nine-game skid during the 1930-31 season that was matched by last year's 7-25 squad. With a 3-18 record after Saturday's loss at Akron, UT is on pace to eclipse the school record for most defeats in a season, a mark set by last year's 7-25 team.

AVERAGE ATTENDANCE : Attendance at University of Toledo men’s basketball games has been up and down over the last five seasons. It rose last season after Savage Arena’s renovation but has plunged this season as the team struggles.

Transfers and turmoil
                      UT recently found out it would be docked one scholarship next season because of a low academic progress rate score, which the NCAA uses to track a team's academic performance and is due for released in May. The school is appealing the penalty.

Mr. Cross, 38, has seen six players leave UT, either voluntarily or by having been kicked off the team, since he was hired. A seventh, student assistant and Clay graduate Zac Taylor, saw his playing career halted by chronic knee and back injuries.

Only two players from Mr. Cross' first recruiting class remain on the roster - sophomores Ian Salter and Larry Bastfield - after redshirt freshman guard Stephen Albrecht, UT's second-leading scorer at the time, opted to seek a transfer at the end of December.

Last week, Mr. Cross indefinitely suspended junior forward Mouhamed Lo for unspecified disciplinary reasons.

Youth and inexperience
                      With eight freshmen, UT has one of the youngest college basketball teams in America. In terms of scholarship players, St. Francis (Pennsylvania) leads the nation with eight freshmen, and the Rockets are next with seven (the eighth UT freshman is a nonscholarship walk-on).

Through 21 games, Rockets newcomers have accounted for more than half of the team's playing time, a disadvantage when competing against veteran teams. That's made for some ugly moments, with sometimes four or five freshmen on the court at the same time trying to find their way.

A sense of despair
                      The Rockets have scored 50 points or fewer in seven contests this season, and they have been beaten by 30 or more on three occasions. "Losing like that is disheartening," Mr. Cross said. "When you're so young, you can be discouraged so easily." Without much positive reinforcement in games, Mr. Cross has had to adjust his temperament in practice to encourage his young players more. Yet the losing is taking its toll.
                      Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

Have had some very good success lately betting UCLA. The oddsmaker hasn't caught up to the changes there and they still haven't based on tonight's line.

UCLA -4 is a steal IMO. STAN is awful on the road, it's a revenge game from earlier in the year and most important is the following....

UCLA recruited this kid Jerime Anderson to play point and he is terrible (he is a sophomore now). I saw him in HS and he basically came from an unstructured program and he has all kinds of problems playing PG in an offense. He turns it over constantly and quite frankly isn't even qualified to play in the MAAC or some ****ball league like that. So FINALLY about 4-5 games ago Howland said enough is enough and benched him. They inserted Honeycutt into the lineup and moved Lee to the PG. They have played great ball since and should have left Oregon with a sweep last weekend if not for blowing the ORE game in OT. They have 3 seniors in that lineup that are playing well and the young players like Reeves Nelson are getting better. This line does not reflect what UCLA has done in their most recent games. Not to mention they have CAL on deck on Saturday which is a revenge game for CAL. I would think that this game would be paramount for the Bruins in the conference race. I look for UCLA to win this game by DD. It is really amazing what a different team they are without that clown on the floor. They still turn it over too much but should be fine tonight IMO.

Probably my favorite play on the card today.
                        Last edited by FlyersFan; 02-04-2010, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joepa66 View Post

Here are two stories on UT:

Rockets hurting with shortage of post players
                          By ZACH SILKA
                          BLADE SPORTS WRITER

BOWLING GREEN — Still short-handed down low, the three post players remaining on the University of Toledo’s roster were up against it again last night.

Facing bigger, stronger, and more seasoned forwards without junior Mouhamed Lo for the third straight game, the Rockets’ big men were dominated early and overmatched throughout in a 58-47 loss to Bowling Green at Anderson Arena.

In the absence of Lo, who has been indefinitely suspended for unspecified disciplinary reasons, junior Justin Anyijong, sophomore Ian Salter, and freshman Jordan Dressler have been left to carry the load. So far, Lo’s void has been considerable.

The Falcons (11-9, 4-4 Mid-American Conference) outscored UT 18-6 in the paint in the first half, led by eight points a piece from senior forwards Otis Polk and Erik Marschall.

Anyijong dropped in a season-high 18 points as the lone player in double figures for UT (3-19, 0-8), which has now lost 12 straight. But Anyijong did much of his damage from the outside, hitting 4-of-5 3-pointers, as the Rockets struggled to find any kind of interior presence. Dressler and Salter posted just two points apiece.

When exactly Lo will return for the Rockets is anybody’s guess.

“His status is still up in the air right now,” Cross said. “The terms of his reinstatement we won’t disclose, but I don’t know when that’s going to happen.”

Until then, the Rockets will have to make do with the lineup they have — a lineup that was already short one scholarship player after redshirt freshman Stephen Albrecht opted to transfer at the end of December.

Losses mount, crowds shrink for University of Toledo men's basketball team
                          Program sinks to depths unseen in school history
                          By ZACH SILKA
                          BLADE SPORTS WRITER

The road to rebuilding a program is never a smooth one and is often lined with potholes along the way. The University of Toledo men's basketball team has hit several of them in the last year and a half, including transfers, dismissals, suspensions, possible NCAA sanctions, slumping attendance, blowout losses, and lengthy losing streaks.

During his introduction as the Rockets' new coach on April 11, 2008, Gene Cross was, by his own admission, "really, really excited" about the challenges ahead. Now, nearly two years and 43 losses later, the excitement level has dwindled as the program has fallen on hard times and sunk to depths never before seen in school history.

With the program in turmoil, fans are not coming through the turnstiles as frequently. Average attendance so far this season is 4,048, down from 5,610 per game last season at the newly renovated Savage Arena.

The Rockets' 11-game losing streak is their longest ever, surpassing a nine-game skid during the 1930-31 season that was matched by last year's 7-25 squad. With a 3-18 record after Saturday's loss at Akron, UT is on pace to eclipse the school record for most defeats in a season, a mark set by last year's 7-25 team.

AVERAGE ATTENDANCE : Attendance at University of Toledo men’s basketball games has been up and down over the last five seasons. It rose last season after Savage Arena’s renovation but has plunged this season as the team struggles.

Transfers and turmoil
                          UT recently found out it would be docked one scholarship next season because of a low academic progress rate score, which the NCAA uses to track a team's academic performance and is due for released in May. The school is appealing the penalty.

Mr. Cross, 38, has seen six players leave UT, either voluntarily or by having been kicked off the team, since he was hired. A seventh, student assistant and Clay graduate Zac Taylor, saw his playing career halted by chronic knee and back injuries.

Only two players from Mr. Cross' first recruiting class remain on the roster - sophomores Ian Salter and Larry Bastfield - after redshirt freshman guard Stephen Albrecht, UT's second-leading scorer at the time, opted to seek a transfer at the end of December.

Last week, Mr. Cross indefinitely suspended junior forward Mouhamed Lo for unspecified disciplinary reasons.

Youth and inexperience
                          With eight freshmen, UT has one of the youngest college basketball teams in America. In terms of scholarship players, St. Francis (Pennsylvania) leads the nation with eight freshmen, and the Rockets are next with seven (the eighth UT freshman is a nonscholarship walk-on).

Through 21 games, Rockets newcomers have accounted for more than half of the team's playing time, a disadvantage when competing against veteran teams. That's made for some ugly moments, with sometimes four or five freshmen on the court at the same time trying to find their way.

A sense of despair
                          The Rockets have scored 50 points or fewer in seven contests this season, and they have been beaten by 30 or more on three occasions. "Losing like that is disheartening," Mr. Cross said. "When you're so young, you can be discouraged so easily." Without much positive reinforcement in games, Mr. Cross has had to adjust his temperament in practice to encourage his young players more. Yet the losing is taking its toll.

seriously, is there ANYTHING good associated with the city of Toledo anymore......kind of a sad state of affairs....i think i would be permanently depressed if i lived there.

Comment

damn it flyers, why u tempting me to make a pac 10 play?? does look solid

i dont think ive ever seen a total set this low, Samford-Citadel: o/u 107.5 , i bet that goes under

Comment

Tennessee -7 is a solid play due to the fact that this is definietely the worst team in the conference in LSU. 7 points is alot of points to give up on the road in conference play normally but not in this situation. Keep in mind Tennessee was play with only 6 scholarship players for a while in the middle of the season. Things are back track getting back a couple of players.

Staying in the conference also like Florida to win this game in close one. So getting points is plus.

Florida +2.5 @ Alabama
                              I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

Comment

I was going to mention UCLA but Flyers Fan pretty much said it all. This is a solid play with UCLA playing their best basketball. I expect the same, with DD victory for Stanford with such a huge game on Saturday.

UCLA -4
                                I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.

Comment

Working...
                                X