Lol @ Big 12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JayCol View Post
    Given that Ohio State is the best in the Big 10, I suppose you think there are 4 SEC teams better than every Big 10 team.

Here are some facts:

Big 10 2-1 record against SEC teams in bowl games last season.

Big 10 8-6 record against SEC teams in bowl games the last five years.

Big 10 15 BCS berths to the SEC's 13.

Big Ten teams have produced five Heisman Trophy winners in the past 15 years, compared to the SEC's one.

JC
    1st of all, we're talking about this year, no?? You want to go back into the past? Look at last year's national championship game.

I also love how you cherry pick your stats... here are some more:

-Last year, big 10 and sec both sent 2 teams to bcs (including Nat Champ)... Sec won both by combined score of 82-28 and Big 10 lost both by combined score of 73-32.

-Two years ago Big 10 got 2 teams in and won them both, but against historically bad BCS teams... an OVerratedd Notred Dame team that got in on a technicality... and Florida State who finished 9-5.... who the hell goes 9-4 in reg. season and gets a BCS bowl?

- Over the past 7 years, both conferences sent 10 teams each to BCS games.... Big 10 went 4-6 and SEC went 7-3

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
      that is really a dumb anology, though skins putting them in the SEC. how can you compare a team from ohio vs. a team from the south? you would have a completely different recruiting pool. lets drop LSU square in the middle of Michigan and see if they get all the players from the south that they do. OSU, and other schools do a good job of plucking as many kids from the south as they can. but lets face it, if a kid grows up in Alabama, chances are his first choice wasn't ohio state growing up. South has a lot more speed as far as talent goes than places like western PA, Ohio etc.....different recruiting pool you are pulling from. it is comparing apples and oranges........
      yes i do see your point here... I guess I was speaking more metaphorically.... basically I was simply referring to the schedule that most SEC teams have to go through in conference play. For example, South Carolina.... of their 8 conf. games, most likely 6 will be ranked when they play them. Before this weekend, SEC East had 4 teams in top 12... just the EAST. Now I know this year is a little whacky and is hardly a good example... but that's what i was getting at. Ohio St is a good team, no doubt.... but let's be honest, in years past their conference schedule is a cakewalk until michigan (which has been a cakewalk too recently).

Comment

Originally posted by Skinsfan View Post
        1st of all, we're talking about this year, no??
        As the Big 10 and SEC haven't played this year, obviously any comparison must be based on past performance.

As for this year, the one significant game the SEC has played outside it conference it got beat (Cal 45 Tenn 31). Tenn went on to thrash (not merely beat) Georgia 35-14.

Yes, I cherry picked my stats, but you did yours too. Objectively I would say there is rough parity between the conferences.

Certainly you haven't given any proof for an extreme statement that there are 4 SEC teams better than the best in the Big 10 (Ohio St going 7-4 in SEC).

JC
        Go Bucks!

Comment

I think Jay's comparison shows more of a top to bottom comparison of the conferences, rather than the elite team from the Pac 10 and elite team from the SEC thrashing 2 big 10 teams in the BCS, and really, if there's a way to compare conference strength, that's pretty much it i'd say.

One or two teams getting their asses kicked from any specific conference could happen in any given year....like 2 years ago when WVU blew up UGA in their bowl game, in what was basically a home game for UGA. That didn't make the Big East better than the SEC.

Now if it was a middle of the pack team from Conf A beating the crap out of the best team in Conf B, it might hold a little more weight, IMO.

I totally agree with what Flyers said, and it makes complete sense. It's tough to compare conferences, especially based on 1 or 2 games, since completely different recruiting pools, styles of play, and homefield often come in to play....as USC's win over Michigan in the 2007 Rose Bowl was basically a home game for USC with the game being played in Pasadena.

Comment

The Big 10 is always hosed when it comes to the Rose Bowl. Travel 3000 miles to play a road game where the fans are 80-20 for the Pac 10 team. Just brutal!

Comment

I think they need another team to round it out to 12 so they can get tv money on Championship game.

They have been after ND for years. ND will not budge over TV contracts

Big East offered ND a heck of a deal and they would not take it.

I think WVU would fit in nice to the group. No really.

We use to play Penn state big rival game. Funny we beat them after 50 years and they dropped us from the schedule and ran to Big 10. :laughing:

So we hate Penn state. Hate Ohio State. I think we can hang with Minny, NW, Purdue, Indy, Illinois, and Mich State.

Schools dont have to travel any farther to play us.

And i heard rumor that they have turned us down 4 times, but are willing to talk after this season.
              NFL 2-0. Week 1
              Nfl 2-2week 2

Comment

Originally posted by Stifler's Mom View Post
                I think Jay's comparison shows more of a top to bottom comparison of the conferences, rather than the elite team from the Pac 10 and elite team from the SEC thrashing 2 big 10 teams in the BCS, and really, if there's a way to compare conference strength, that's pretty much it i'd say.
                You are reading too much into two games. Tressel has a 3-1 record in BCS games, last year's NC was the exception. Ginn got injured and it turned out that Troy Smith couldn't handle the pressure as well as say Krenzel. Also Meyer did a really good job, and maybe Tressel slacked off for a game.

But look to Tressel keep racking up BCS victories, that is a fact.

If there is one man who knows how to win championships, it is Tressel. There is no other explanation how he could beat the talent loaded Miami team in the NC with OSU as 14 pts underdogs.

All year around SEC will complain that their 3-4-5 teams are so much better than the 3-4-5 teams in other conferences, that their 1-2 teams should get special consideration. Florida (last year) should be favored over other 1 loss teams because Auburn is so much better, and the SEC schedule is so much tougher. But then now you say that we should not look at how the 3-4-5 teams do in the bowls, but only the top teams of the conference. This is trying to have it both ways.

JC
                Last edited by JayCol; 10-07-2007, 03:17 PM.
                Go Bucks!

Comment

First of all, bowl games are deceptive... the players have a month off, and its a one shot deal.... what i was referring to was not 4 specific teams better than Ohio State, but the schedule Ohio State would have to play week in and week out in the SEC. Florida, LSU, Auburn, South Carolina and arguably Georgia all have better defenses, hands down, than ANYONE in the big 10.

You really want to know why the SEC is hands down the best conference? It's not in the stats, in the wins and losses, or in the bowls.... just WATCH the games and you can see it. I had the Purdue/Ohio St game on in split screen with the Florida/LSU game this saturday night for about 15 minutes.... the SEC game looked like it was in fast forward. Better players.... stronger, faster, more athletic.... Better coaching.

Give Ohio state the following schedule: @Georgia, @LSU, Kentucky, @Tennessee, @Arkansas, Florida..... you think they run the table? They're lucky to go 3-3 with that schedule. Thats what the gamecocks face every year. If its not LSU and Arkansas, then its Auburn and Alabama....

Comment

Originally posted by JayCol View Post
                    But then now you say that we should not look at how the 3-4-5 teams do in the bowls, but only the top teams of the conference. This is trying to have it both ways.
                    3-4-5 teams went 2-1 last year from SEC, for the record. SEC went 6-3, including 2 blowouts in BCS games. But none of that matters... just watch the games and see the product each conference produces. It's not even close.

Comment

You really want to know why the SEC is hands down the best conference? It's not in the stats, in the wins and losses, or in the bowls.... just WATCH the games and you can see it. I had the Purdue/Ohio St game on in split screen with the Florida/LSU game this saturday night for about 15 minutes.... the SEC game looked like it was in fast forward. Better players.... stronger, faster, more athletic.... Better coaching.
                      I agree completely :thumbs:
                      Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends...

Comment

Better coaching.

So you watched UF/LSU and thought both coaching staffs were better than Tressel and OSU? Tressel may have laid an egg against UF last year in the NC game, but I don't know if I would say both Miles and Meyer are better coaches than him. That's a pretty bold statement....especially Miles. Tressel took a pretty mediocre OSU team down to the Alamo Bowl a few years ago against OK St. and Miles. OK St. was favored....and Tressel and Bucks pummeled them....with no starting QB. If memory serves, Ted Ginn was playing QB against the Cowboys in that game.
                        "You come at the King, you best not miss." Omar

Comment

Actually I have a great amount of respect for Tressell. That being said, i usually find myself on the opposite side of the argument than most when it comes to coaches inheriting good teams (or rather, teams with good players). If a coach comes in and is immediately successful (think Coker in Miami his first couple years) most people will make the argument that those aren't his players, and he walked into a loaded situation. I, on the other hand, usually take that to mean the previous coach couldn't get it done, and the new coach is most likely a better coach to come in and immediately get it done right away. This is pretty much how i view urban meyer.

I guess we will find out for sure about miles/tressel if the rumors are true and miles goes to Michigan next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
                            If memory serves, Ted Ginn was playing QB against the Cowboys in that game.
                            It was Justin Zwick. Ted Ginn did play a part in the game, getting a big gain that built OSU's lead to 20-0.

JC
                            Go Bucks!

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                              it is comparing apples and oranges........

I agree or like comparing High School(big 11) to College (SEC), but I agree and your point is well taken.

The SEC is the best and the rest are........well the rest!!!:beerbang:

Comment

It's not in the stats, in the wins and losses, or in the bowls.... just WATCH the games and you can see it. I had the Purdue/Ohio St game on in split screen with the Florida/LSU game this saturday night for about 15 minutes.... the SEC game looked like it was in fast forward. Better players.... stronger, faster, more athletic.... Better coaching.
                                SEC may have stronger, faster, more athletic players, but it is not a track meet. The game is football. The coach's character, how hard you hit, how much desire you have, the attitude you have, etc. all count. On talent only there was no way Ohio St would have won against Miami in the NC.

JC
                                Go Bucks!

Comment

Working...
                                X