X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for what it's worth.

A buddy e-mailed this to me from another forum...good info. :thumbs:

Misleading Finals/Box Scores week 2 cfb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some box scores I found from week 2 that may be misleading.

I also didn't double check the schedule last week on a couple games, and I think I learned my lesson.

Last week 3 teams of note had a game before playing a big time rival/opponent the following week. All 3 teams were favorite, and all 3 teams were going to be underdogs this week.

Ohio St -34 L
    ND -22 L
    SC -10 L

All three could have lost outright and SC did. I also believe all three are better than last week's performance and are worth a look this week.

My point is play against a favorite a week before a big game that they may be underdog in. These are 18-22 yr old kids FOCUS is not always an option. The only play I saw that was similar this week is Arizona St -22 vs UNLV.

Arizona St has Georgia at home next week at night. This may be a spot where UNLV hangs around. Any thoughts are appreciated.

South Carolina 17 at Vanderbilt 24

S.C had 3 more first downs, outgained Vandy by 100 yds and lost the turnover battle. I have to believe this was a classic look ahead to Georgia this week. Look for the gamecocks to play a ton more focused this week.

Texas 42 at UTEP 13

The score itself looks like a no contest, but Texas actually got outgained in this game 412-404. This wasn't exactly a dominant defensive performance by the Longhorns. They also returned a fumble for a touchdown as well. Give UTEP some credit for moving the ball, 11 penalties hurt them as well.

Texas Tech 35 at Nevada 19

Nevada lost the game but won the stat battle. The Wolfpack outgained Texas Tech 488-421 and had 8 more 1st downs. Texas Tech had a punt return for a touchdown to help them as well. Nevada also rushed the ball for 224 yards.

Tulane 6 at Alabama 20

After Alabama looked like world beaters week 1, it's tough to repeat that effort. Tulane outgained Alabama 318-172, had 7 more first downs and controlled the ball almost a full quarter more. Lucky for Alabama the schedule was kind, or they would have got destroyed. Their 2 tochdowns came from a punt return and a blocked punt return. Tulane played great, only time will tell if they reproduce this effort.

South Florida 31 at UCF 24

South Florida dominated a game they hung on to win in overtime. They outgained UCF 504-226, had twice as many first downs, and lost the turnover battle -2. UCF also had a kickoff return for a touchdown. South Florida is still a decent team, don't let this score change that opinion.

Georgia Tech 19 at Boston College 16

This was a nice win for GT, but by no means in convincing fashion by the numbers. They were outgained 252-235, and had 6 less first downs. This is not a formula to consitently win on the road. They may be in for a tough haul at Virginia Tech this week.

Miami OH 6 at Michigan 16

Michigan struggled for the second week in a row offensively. They had less than 300 yards total offense and were 2 for 11 on third down conversions. They go on the road this week, not a great spot for them to get their offense going, they couldn't move the ball at home.

Connecticut 12 at Temple 9

For the second week in a row, Temple had horrible box score numbers and nearly started the season 2-0. UCONN had a 379-298 yard advantage, twice as many first downs, and rushed the ball for 293 yards. Look for UCONN to play well this week against Virginia.

Idaho St 27 at Idaho 42

Idaho only had 22 yds of offense than Idaho St. and had 7 less first downs. They also benefited from a blocked punt for a touchdown, and + 3 in turnovers. Not great against a 1AA opponent, even from their state.

Minnesota 42 at Bowling Green 17

Minnesota did not dominate this game, 5 Bowling Green turnovers sealed the deal. Stats were virtually even, if Bowling Green can protect the ball they are a solid team. Anybody will look good after a +5 turnover ratio.

San Jose St 12 at Nebraska 35

Nebraska was not 23 points better by the numbers. They were outgained 353-315 and had 2 return touchdowns to help. They better play alot sharper in the Big 12.

Texas A&M 28 at New Mexico 22

A&M was outgained 370-236 and had an interception return and still won the game. Not exactly a team I'd like to back on the road the rest of the season. Nice win, just not by the numbers.

Kent St 28 at Iowa St 48

Iowa St was outgained, had 6 less first downs, and won the turnover battle +3. I'm not sure they are 20 points better than Kent st.

Northwestern 24 at Duke 20

Duke had twice as many first downs and outgained NW by almost 150 yards, but still came up on the losing end. I like what they are doing there and they should have value in the next few weeks. nother forum.

I can vouch for the Kent game.....The Flashes fumbled on the goal line going in for a tying score, fumbled on the ISU's 9 yard line, and had a punt blocked and recovered at Kent's 1 yard line which the 'Clones promptly punched in. They also had another reception for first down at their own 20 which a receiver fumbled and was recovered at the 25.

Coach Doug Martin immediately announced that every body's job was in jeopardy, and that the punt blocking was horrible and the kicker probably "suffered brain damage" with such protection. ISU blocked 2 punts both in Kent territory and both leading to scores.

:puke:
    Batman: "If you can't spend it, money's just a lot of worthless paper, isn't it?" :phew:

Comment

I can also tell you with my own two eyes from sitting on the home side in hostile territory with my buddy 4 rows up on the 35 yard line that Nevada has a very very good team.

Rock solid defense, and their offense is something else, for some weird reason TTU's D stepped up or they were lucky and forced the Wolfpack into virtually all FGs throughout the game.

They very might should have won that game, solid team though I like what I saw.
      :hide:

"Schooly D is fat cake yo."
      -Big Pimpin-

Comment

Originally posted by Q-Unit View Post
        Rock solid defense.
        Nevada has a rock solid defense? huh? :dunno:

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
          Nevada has a rock solid defense? huh? :dunno:
          hey for one game at least against our suckass Offense that had drunk Harrell at the helm.

LOL

Crabtree bailed us out.
          :hide:

"Schooly D is fat cake yo."
          -Big Pimpin-

Comment

jpix- Nice hit on the UNLV game. As you know, they not only covered, but won outright.

Keep em coming!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X