Week 1 Picks... first post!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 1 Picks... first post!

This is my first time posting on this forum(i posted occasionally on another forum that many of you were involved in last season). I'm the USF fan that everyone is hating on in the yahoo pickem league and I'm a current student :beerbang: Didn't post many picks last season but had a good year in both FB and BB so I figured I would start posting some picks/analysis. Heres my first of the weekday games(looks like the only thursday game I like) and i'll add more in the next few days.

Kent St +3.5 vs Iowa St

Kent State is entering the season as one of the favorites for the MAC East. Iowa State is coming off of a last place finish in the Big 12 North and is not looking to improve any time soon seeing as they have the second fewest returning starters in the Big 12 and return the fewest ammount of lettermen in the conference. A sub par rushing D that allowed 4.6 ypc last season in a conference that has turned to the passing game on the shoulders of some of the best QBs in the nation. Kent returns a solid running back and a versitile athletic QB who could cause trouble to an Iowa St front 7 who are replacing a few key positions with players who have no experience at this school(mostly JUCO transfers). The only thing that has me second guessing this pick is Kent State's exceptionally horrible special teams which Phil Steele has ranked 117th for 2006. I just hope that because it was so horrible last season they will make it a point to improve the field goal kicking and punting numbers.

Any comments/criticism is welcome. Also, if someone could let me know how I can get my avatar changed that would be nice(the USF "U" logo with the horns preferably). Thanks for reading and I look forward to participating here during the season.... Go Bulls!

FAU -2 vs Mid. Tenn. St.
    A conference game in my favorite conference to handicap on week 1 so its my top play of the week so far. Middle Tennessee loses the #2 passer in school history and while they return their top 4 receivers, FAU returns almost all of a defensive backfield that ranked 16th nationally in pass defense last season whereas MTSU had the 106th ranked passing offense. The only starter who is being replaced on the FAU defense is at CB and the new projected starter had 9 starts at FS in '05 and played in all 12 games last season. Although Middle Tennessee State will be one of the biggest beneficiaries of the new kickoff rules with Damon Nickson getting 5 yards closer when he catches the ball, I don't see a new QB coming in and filling the big shoes of Clint Marks especially this early in the season. FAU should show the vast scoring improvements in this game that they will be making this season after only scoring 15.1 ppg(18.4 in conference play).

Comment

:welcome: ....GL! this season........those sunbelt games are tough to handicap, IMO. you never get what you think you're going to get. Your bulls should be good this year and make it to a bowl game.
      I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

GL this season Bullsfan, like both those plays :cheery:
        Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends...

Comment

A bowl game? I could write a book on why they have as good of a chance as any team in the Big East at winning that conference but I'll just wait til the season's over and say I told you so :sm:

Comment

Good Luck in Week 1............:thumbs:

From one Mountaineer to ANOTHER.... LOL.

Comment

:welcome: to the forum GL with your plays

Queen :glass:
              NFL 2-0. Week 1
              Nfl 2-2week 2

Comment

Originally posted by BullsFan09 View Post
                I'm the USF fan that everyone is hating on in the yahoo pickem league and I'm a current student :beerbang:
                Who's busting on you in the Yahoo Pick'em? I asked who you were. Not really sure that counts as "busting on you". Though I am very good at that too, if you'd like me to start, haha.. Welcome and good luck!

(ps - flyers avatar is a disgrace)

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
                  Who's busting on you in the Yahoo Pick'em?
                  dude- "your" totally busting the guy's balls. i was debating reporting you to Yahoo for conduct violations. :blackeye:
                  I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

I take "what are they, the University of Southern Florida fighting syrup gatherer's?" as bustin but I was just joking anyways. I'm also pretty sure the syrup gatherer's embarrassed 2 heisman candidates in one game last season in Morgantown... But enough about USF, anyone like/hate my picks or reasoning?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                      dude- "your" totally busting the guy's balls. i was debating reporting you to Yahoo for conduct violations. :blackeye:
                      I miss him.... (sigh).

Comment

FAU....:beerbang:
                        YTD
                        CFB'09 season(as of 1/7)
                        Reg season RESULTS:(-12.98 U's)
                        BOWLS
                        Sides: 8-21(-20.5 U's)
                        O/U's: 2-6(-1.25 U's)
                        ML's: 2-6(-0.70 U's)
                        RESULTS(-22.45 U's)
                        NFL'09 season(as of 1/3)