This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12/7/07

today is Pearl Harbor day. Important day not to forget in US History.......dang Germans, but it wasn't over when they did bomb Pearl Harbor......:thumbs:
    I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Yesterday, December 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

The United States was at peace with that nation and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with its Government and its Emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific. Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in Oahu, the Japanese Ambassador to the United States and his colleague delivered to the Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent American message. While this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or armed attack.

It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days, or even weeks, ago. During the intervening time the Japanese Government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.

The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian Islands has caused severe damage to American naval and military forces. Very many American lives have been lost. In addition American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu.

Yesterday the Japanese Government also launched an attack against Malaya. Last night Japanese forces attacked Hong Kong. Last night Japanese forces attacked Guam. Last night Japanese forces attacked the Philippine Islands. Last night the Japanese attacked Wake Island. This morning the Japanese attacked Midway Island.

Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

As Commander-in-Chief of the Army and Navy, I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense.

Always will we remember the character of the onslaught against us. No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost but will make very certain that this form of treachery shall never endanger us again.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces - with the unbounded determination of our people - we will gain the inevitable triumph - so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, December seventh, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese Empire. ~ Franklin Delano Roosevelt

:flag:
    Last edited by homedawg; 12-07-2007, 03:41 PM.

Comment

The Day of Infamy
      Sunday morning early
      quiet, some people at Church
      some relaxing on the beach
      some on the ships of our fleet
      Then a flurry of flights
      and bombs, and fire and fear
      the beginnings of horrendous sights
      they would never forget, from year to year.
      Burned, maimed, and simply stunned
      outmaneuvered and outgunned
      the nurses and medics began to run
      trying to get to hospitals, every one~
      some were strafed and killed as they ran
      trying to get there to care for each man
      brought in by his buddies, his friends;
      and when do attacks like these ever end?
      I saw a program on the attack that day~
      Survivors of Pearl, weeping, as they had their say
      Just the recalling seemed hard to bear
      when they remembered that they were there.
      As long as I'm here, and can read and write
      They won't be forgotten - nor their fight
      A sneak attack; and the cowardly way
      They killed the unaware that day.
      And oh, the suffering the families bore
      then, and onward, into the War
      There's endless fodder for poems and words
      It's never-ending, like flocks of birds
      that land on the wire, and roost in the tree
      Even when fighting ceases to be.

Comment

"Now is the time to exterminate the Yellow Peril for all time… Let the rats squeal."
        —Congressman Charles A. Plumley, August 1945

:gulp:

Comment

Comment

Roosevelt was one of the greatest public speakers of all-time and I love to watch the speech from Dec. 8. God(or whomever) bless the men and women that lost their lives on Dec. 7 1941.

I'll save my opinion on the atomic bomb though.

Comment

Originally posted by homedawg View Post
              "Now is the time to exterminate the Yellow Peril for all time… Let the rats squeal."
              —Congressman Charles A. Plumley, August 1945

:gulp:

That post is in horrible poor taste...wow.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
                :dunno:....why....it's a part of US history....they fking invaded our country JML.....

Comment

I don't want to get into it.....but I just think it is a little disturbing to celebrate with a "drinking smiley" a horrible event where a quarter million innocent people were burned alive. As well as posting a racist quote above it....hopefully there are no members here of asian decent that see that post. But that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                    :dunno:....why....it's a part of US history....they fking invaded our country JML.....
                    A black eye in US History maybe.

Comment

just giving a history lesson..

FF stated that the germans attacked pearl harbor...

the japanese did, and shortly after that, the germans declared war on the united states...

the war ended with the atomic bomb!

thats the history lesson for today!

:beerbang:

Comment

I don't want to get into it.....but I just think it is a little disturbing to celebrate with a "drinking smiley" a horrible event where a quarter million innocent people were burned alive. As well as posting a racist quote above it....hopefully there are no members here of asian decent that see that post. But that's just me.

oh.....i guess i didn't really read the quote or pay attention to the toasting smiley. i was referring more to the picture which i don't find offensive at all. i can see your point. it was an unfortunate part of that war, and i don't want to get into it either.

Comment

Originally posted by homedawg View Post
                          just giving a history lesson..

FF stated that the germans attacked pearl harbor...

the japanese did, and shortly after that, the germans declared war on the united states...

the war ended with the atomic bomb!

thats the history lesson for today!

:beerbang:
                          He was joking...he was using an Animal House quote....

Comment

not the racist card, again??????
                            This is from history, FDR, stated that the US will right this war! right or wrong it ended! just like today, with GWB ... Is it right??????? :beer2:

Comment

He was joking...he was using an Animal House quote....
                              :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                              X