X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by homedawg View Post
    not the racist card, again??????
    This is from history, FDR, stated that the US will right this war! right or wrong it ended! just like today, with GWB ... Is it right??????? :beer2:
    Umm, FDR wasn't President when the war ended.

Comment

Originally posted by NittanyLions94 View Post
      Umm, FDR wasn't President when the war ended.
      never stated that... :beer2:

Comment

never stated that... :beer2:
        You stated that the atomic bomb is what, in theory, "ended the war." I, and basically 98% of the scholarly world(not claiming to be a top scholar in the field myself), would dispute that.

Comment

not the racist card, again??????
          I'm not calling you racist...sorry HD, I was referring to the quote....but maybe that was the wrong choice of words....I just meant that the quote could be offensive to people of Japanese heritage.

I don't want to get into anything else.....slippery slope!
          I'm keeping to the Sports part of the forum....right Larry? lol

Comment

Always will we remember the character of the onslaught against us. No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

~ Franklin Delano Roosevelt

:flag:
            :beer2:

Comment

You stated that the atomic bomb is what, in theory, "ended the war." I, and basically 98% of the scholarly world(not claiming to be a top scholar in the field myself), would dispute that.
              well then fill us all in......
              I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
                I'm not calling you racist...sorry HD, I was referring to the quote....but maybe that was the wrong choice of words....I just meant that the quote could be offensive to people of Japanese heritage.

I don't want to get into anything else.....slippery slope!
                I'm keeping to the Sports part of the forum....right Larry? lol

:thumbs: those aren't my words! A quote from history, that neither you or I can change!! :beerbang:

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                  well then fill us all in......
                  I'll say this before hand, if people start to jump all over me then I'll just edit all the posts out.

And this will be stream of consciousness and sort of jumbled together.

The imminent declaration of war from the Soviets, and subsequent invasion that would follow, were believed to be the main driving factors in a Japanese surrender. It was not necessary to drop atomic bombs on two cities in Japan. The Soviets even moved up their declaration from September to August to speed up the process and save lives. If you read over Truman's diaries that a few years ago were donated to the Harry Truman Library, he states in there that there were some sorts of ulterior motives involved with the use of the atomic bomb. Those being the imminent post-WWII conflict with communism and Russia. He says a few times that the United States, "Has a weapon that will strike fear in the Soviets" or something along those lines. The US had already dumped millions upon millions of dollar in to the Manhattan project and the testing phases had just been completed when the war was about to end, but Truman wanted to test out his new toy as well. He found it hard to justify spending so much on developing a weapon intended to be used in the war and just letting it sit idle. The majority of Japanese buildings were made from wood and firebombing was much more effective, and killed far less civilians during WWII. The US knew of the majority of dangers in using an atomic bomb, in theory, but wanted a real life 'guinea pig' to test it on. Which is why there were scientists ready to go in to Hiroshima right after the attack and collect body parts of dead people to do thorough tests on.

There is tons of literature on the subject. I suggest Gar Alperovitz's "The Decision to Use the Atomic Bomb: And the Architecture of an American Myth." Hiroshima in America: Fifty Years of Denial." And "A Postwar Myth: 500,000 Lives Saved" by Barton J. Bernstein. If you want further reading on the topic as I just threw together an extremely brief and sloppy outline.

Comment

The surrender of Japan in August 1945 brought World War II to a close.

Comment

The surrender of Japan in August 1945 brought World War II to a close.

Nobody disputed that. The need for the atomic bomb was not there, though.

Comment

I'll say this before hand, if people start to jump all over me then I'll just edit all the posts out.

And this will be stream of consciousness and sort of jumbled together.

The imminent declaration of war from the Soviets, and subsequent invasion that would follow, were believed to be the main driving factors in a Japanese surrender. It was not necessary to drop atomic bombs on two cities in Japan. The Soviets even moved up their declaration from September to August to speed up the process and save lives. If you read over Truman's diaries that a few years ago were donated to the Harry Truman Library, he states in there that there were some sorts of ulterior motives involved with the use of the atomic bomb. Those being the imminent post-WWII conflict with communism and Russia. He says a few times that the United States, "Has a weapon that will strike fear in the Soviets" or something along those lines. The US had already dumped millions upon millions of dollar in to the Manhattan project and the testing phases had just been completed when the war was about to end, but Truman wanted to test out his new toy as well. He found it hard to justify spending so much on developing a weapon intended to be used in the war and just letting it sit idle. The majority of Japanese buildings were made from wood and firebombing was much more effective, and killed far less civilians during WWII. The US knew of the majority of dangers in using an atomic bomb, in theory, but wanted a real life 'guinea pig' to test it on. Which is why there were scientists ready to go in to Hiroshima right after the attack and collect body parts of dead people to do thorough tests on.

There is tons of literature on the subject. I suggest Gar Alperovitz's "The Decision to Use the Atomic Bomb: And the Architecture of an American Myth." Hiroshima in America: Fifty Years of Denial." And "A Postwar Myth: 500,000 Lives Saved" by Barton J. Bernstein. If you want further reading on the topic as I just threw together an extremely brief and sloppy outline.

I can dispute some of this, but I wont! :beer2:

Comment

I can dispute some of this, but I wont! :beer2:
                          If you use some sort of relevant literature to do so I'd love to see it.

Comment

Nobody disputed that. The need for the atomic bomb was not there, though.
                            the attack on pearl harbor was not necessary either!!!!!! :beer2:

Comment

the attack on pearl harbor was not necessary either!!!!!! :beer2:
                              This is where I'll take a step back and let it go. Isn't worth getting people in an uproar over.

Everyone have a good day and remember the lives lost.

Comment

This is where I'll take a step back and let it go. Isn't worth getting people in an uproar over.

Everyone have a good day and remember the lives lost.

AMEN!!!!!!! :beerbang:

Comment

Working...
                                X