Deadline Trades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
    i think you're missing the point. TAM signed Lecav, Richards and St.Louis and then had no money to pay anyone to play with them. You aren't going to win with 3 guys. And what about Whitney who is one of your best young defensemen? If Letang pans out you are going to have to pay him too. You just can't have 70% of your cap in 4 guys or so...it doesn't work.
    Whitney will likely be dealt, Gonchar still has 2 years at ~$10mil left on his deal. Letang and Goligoski are progressing nicely so Whitney is expendible. I understand the comparison to Tampa, but I'd like to give SHero more credit than Tampa's GM. He just traded Prospal to the Flyers for a pack of gum.

Comment

can't wait to watch the stars game tonight. They have always been my favorite Western team. Hopfully the package has Razor and the DAL feed tonight...
      I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

I agree with the TSN panel regarding TB, FF. They got 2 scrubs and a backup goaltender back. And gave up their own starting goalie. Smith is marginally better than what they gave up in net, the 2 forwards are never going to be better than 3rd liners, and no future top line prospect. Notta one. Montreal and Vancouver were offering better deals from what I hear...revolving around Huet (alot better than Smith) in Montreal and draft picks, and prime, top level prospects from Van. I think TB a got fleeced worse than ATL. At least they got a prospect. 2 of the 5 panelists on TSN gave TB the "loss" for deadline day performance. And 3 gave Dallas the "win" for getting Richards for so cheap...not giving any core talent.

As for Pit ...ummm, guys...the guys you are listing are already signed....and those numbers (8-10 mil??) you're throwing around are nuts....way above Max.....Crosby already signed long term for a NON-max deal (somethin like 6.5 per year...he said he took less so the team can stay together, and not become TB....the talk is Malkin will do the same to stay with Crosby...sign a smilar deal, but that's likely lip-service, lol....Whitney is also already signed long term for only 3.5 per year & Fleury will only command in the 3-4 million dollar range as well...he's no star....the 3 TB guys were all getting close to 8, and Boyle got 6.

But FF's right...definitely could be a problem....I do think there's a chance Hossa can stay...3 million come off the books from Roberts...and they'd have to trade Gonchar and his 6 per year, and replace with a 3 mil defenceman in FA and then rely on Whitney and Letang taking over PP QB duties. This team has alot of young players making under 1.5/2 mil....which helps...I think it's a nice problem to have...and why wouldn't Hossa wanna stay, and play with these guys?
        Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 02-26-2008, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NittanyLions94 View Post
          Whitney will likely be dealt, Gonchar still has 2 years at ~$10mil left on his deal. Letang and Goligoski are progressing nicely so Whitney is expendible. I understand the comparison to Tampa, but I'd like to give SHero more credit than Tampa's GM. He just traded Prospal to the Flyers for a pack of gum.
          No way...Gonchar would be the guy to go...gotta keep the youth and lower, long-term contract of Whitney...it could be a steal in 2 years....someone will trade for Gonchar....

Comment

In my opinion, not that you guys want it, the Lightning got absolutely raped in that Richards trade. I agree with JML.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
              No way...Gonchar would be the guy to go...gotta keep the youth and lower, long-term contract of Whitney...it could be a steal in 2 years....someone will trade for Gonchar....
              well, the XM guys like Espo and the crew all though TAM did well...and if anyone would know i would have to lean with Espo who is the color guy and pretty much is involved with the organization daily. Maybe TAM goals were to shed salary so they could sign Boyle and by all accounts were blowing the thing up anyway. And who is TSN to fking say if smith is good or not. In reality nobody knows yet and to say he is marginally better than either guy is rediculous. You don't know how good he is because he has never played every day and been a regular starter.

i do agree that Gonchar is the first guy to go if they shed some salary. no way you deal Whitney, epsecially if you believe defensemen learn their craft later on than forwards as it's harder to do and the prime years of a defenseman are from about 28-34 or so.....

Comment

Originally posted by Angelus View Post
                In my opinion, not that you guys want it, the Lightning got absolutely raped in that Richards trade. I agree with JML.
                i have to laugh. According to TAM GM, he was worried nobody would take Richards' contract. All you guys are so caught up in player for player stuff. According to the Lightning, they just wanted Richards' salary off the books and wanted a goalie and they certainly did one and maybe both. TAM was just happy to unload his salary. They wanted to sign Boyle and couldn't have done so if they couldn't deal Richards.

Comment

I think the lightning got what they wanted out of that trade, they knew they were in no position to be asking for anything. They didn't get taken they got what the market was willing to give. They had to bail out of that contract and very few teams could absorb that contract for 3 more years. Limited trading partners and no choice for the tampa gm, buyers market. The only choice the gm had was take the better offer for the future of the franchise or try to save his ass and get some help now. He took that route. CBJ and Vancouver were both offering better packages long term but when your ass is on the line not many gms care about 3-4 years from now.

As I see it the bolts were never gonna get Richards true value back this was as good as it was gonna get so no raping from my point of view.

Comment

well, the XM guys like Espo and the crew all though TAM did well...and if anyone would know i would have to lean with Espo who is the color guy and pretty much is involved with the organization daily. Maybe TAM goals were to shed salary so they could sign Boyle and by all accounts were blowing the thing up anyway. And who is TSN to fking say if smith is good or not. In reality nobody knows yet and to say he is marginally better than either guy is rediculous. You don't know how good he is because he has never played every day and been a regular starter.

i do agree that Gonchar is the first guy to go if they shed some salary. no way you deal Whitney, epsecially if you believe defensemen learn their craft later on than forwards as it's harder to do and the prime years of a defenseman are from about 28-34 or so.....
                    No..I just think we're looking it at a different way. At least Richards IS signed. I really don't think his contract is all that bad....he is a good 2 way player who might thrive in a new setting...he was regarded as one of the top 10 players in the league not too long ago. You say ATL got fleeced...but Hossa is basically a rental...to get two young NHL starters....last years 1st round pick, and also next year's 1st round pick is a lot for a rental...and a better job than TB, IMO. Richards is signed, and will contribute for 3 years....

It's not so much that Smith isn't a good goalie....I guess if Smith is TB's goalie of the future it's an good trade...but that is a big if, and the other 2 will not contribute in any exceptional way. I can't believe they didn't get any prospects, young quality NHLers or draft picks I guess is my feeling. If it was Smith plus that...I would like the trade. It was Smith (who's stock is not exactly real high) plus two throwaways, IMO...

Maybe Espo likes the trade because he works for the team??? lmao....Why dog "the organization you work for"??
                    Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 02-26-2008, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flmmkrz View Post
                      I think the lightning got what they wanted out of that trade, they knew they were in no position to be asking for anything. They didn't get taken they got what the market was willing to give. They had to bail out of that contract and very few teams could absorb that contract for 3 more years. Limited trading partners and no choice for the tampa gm, buyers market. The only choice the gm had was take the better offer for the future of the franchise or try to save his ass and get some help now. He took that route. CBJ and Vancouver were both offering better packages long term but when your ass is on the line not many gms care about 3-4 years from now.

As I see it the bolts were never gonna get Richards true value back this was as good as it was gonna get so no raping from my point of view.
                      I disagree. You take the best offer overall. They had 2-3 other quality offers on the table...including a Habs/Huet package, and the Van, CLB and CHI offers of younger better prospect kinda stuff to go with a goalie. Guess Feester really liked Smith....we'll see....
                      Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 02-26-2008, 09:06 PM.

Comment

i have to laugh. According to TAM GM, he was worried nobody would take Richards' contract. All you guys are so caught up in player for player stuff. According to the Lightning, they just wanted Richards' salary off the books and wanted a goalie and they certainly did one and maybe both. TAM was just happy to unload his salary. They wanted to sign Boyle and couldn't have done so if they couldn't deal Richards.
                        Not an excuse for not taking the best offer...or getting maximum value...you might not think so...but Richards was in high demand....

Someone pick up Smith in the pool yet? lol.

Looking forward to making some plays tomorrow.....why is SJ only laying -135?
                        Hope you have some plays tomorrow... :thumbs:

Comment

I disagree. You take the best offer overall. They had 2-3 other quality offers on the table...including a Habs/Huet package, and the Van, CLB and CHI offers of younger better prospect kinda stuff to go with a goalie. Guess Feester really liked Smith....we'll see....
                          no way JML....you do what you need to do given the current landscape of your team. The answer to what do you do is different for every team and depends where you are. When you have St.Louis and Lecavelier and now Boyle in their prime pretty much, you don't take a bunchof picks that are going to pan out in 4 or 5 years. They got some very serviceable players that are NHL caliber and can play now, PLUS they freed up cap room to sign some other people and fill out their team. Rumor is that Prospal may come back to TAM after the season for 2.5-3M or so. I mean, CBJ nor VAN were offering ANYTHING that was going to make TAM any better in the next couple of years. At least they got some players who are an upgrade from just about anything they have and they now have flexibility to go out and reshape the team, which started with signing Boyle. They obviouslty felt they could win now and felt Smith was the goalie they felt the best about. I mean outside of some flashes it's not like Huet is the most consistent guy in the world. Price is the guy that got them going a couple weeks ago with his play.

Comment

Whitney would likely go because he would bring much better value than Gonchar and his contract. His contract would be very hard to move IMO, especially considering he isn't that great on the defensive side.

And when I talk about the signings, I'm talking keeping the team together long-term. Malkin is up after next year, Fleury the same(I think), and then there's guys like Malkin's line mates in Malone and Sykora that will be FAs soon. They would likely have to part with Whitney if they want to keep Hossa long-term.

But you're right, there is money coming off the books after this year, along with a 10-12% rise that will come to the cap. Recchi and Roberts will both be gone, and I can't remember off the top of my head who else.

Comment

Originally posted by NittanyLions94 View Post
                              Whitney would likely go because he would bring much better value than Gonchar and his contract. His contract would be very hard to move IMO, especially considering he isn't that great on the defensive side.
                              But the whole point of trading is to open up cap space...and Whitney has a very reasonable contract for a top 2 dman...it would be counter-productive....and don't worry...someone will always tarde or overpay for an offensive defenseman like Gonchar (see Mcabe + Souray).
                              Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 02-26-2008, 10:46 PM.

Comment

no way JML....you do what you need to do given the current landscape of your team. The answer to what do you do is different for every team and depends where you are. When you have St.Louis and Lecavelier and now Boyle in their prime pretty much, you don't take a bunchof picks that are going to pan out in 4 or 5 years. They got some very serviceable players that are NHL caliber and can play now, PLUS they freed up cap room to sign some other people and fill out their team. Rumor is that Prospal may come back to TAM after the season for 2.5-3M or so. I mean, CBJ nor VAN were offering ANYTHING that was going to make TAM any better in the next couple of years. At least they got some players who are an upgrade from just about anything they have and they now have flexibility to go out and reshape the team, which started with signing Boyle. They obviouslty felt they could win now and felt Smith was the goalie they felt the best about. I mean outside of some flashes it's not like Huet is the most consistent guy in the world. Price is the guy that got them going a couple weeks ago with his play.
                                I would agree if it was 2nd line talent with even a little upside. Guys like Jokinen and Halpern are a dime a dozen. 10-15 goal types. You realize it's Jussi Jokinen, not Jere Lehtinen, right? lol. Jokinen is playing so bad recently, he is barely playing 10 minutes a game...almost last on the team. Goons play that much. Goons might play more. Halpern plays about 15 a game...4th line kinda stuff. They are not going to help Lecavalier, St. Louis, etc win "now" anymore than an offseaon 3rd liner FA signing would have. They might help make them be mediocre instead of horrible....but not a contender right away. You can get those kinda guys for free. You can't get elite prospects for free. The other guys available were not 4 or 5 years away...they were rumoured to be guys like Bordon up and down in Van...who mostly plays for AHL Manitoba....and Lapierre (or Latrendesse) in Montreal...whos an AHL guy and scored for the Habs tonight. They were guys a year away...with higher upside. All in all...he musta really zeroed in on Smith. Which is fine.

Anyway....who cares....lol...GO Bolts...GO Smitty! I hope he does well. I like backups who breakout when given a chance... :thumbs: I don't blame TB for grabbing him.
                                Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 02-26-2008, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X