Draft Day Notes >>>

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft Day Notes >>>

Things I'm reading or hearing about this busy time for NHL GM's...

Draft
    • Draft should go Kane (CHI), Turris (PHI), Vanriemsdyk (PHO).
    • Oilers would love a defenceman at 6...one of Ellerby/Alzner.
    • Flames would love to stay in the family and get the Sutter kid.
    • Habs would love local kid, and former #1 ranked Esposito (no relation) to drop to 12.
    • Leafs would love local kid Sam Gagner, but would need to trade down a bit.

Movement
    • Oilers are after Wade Redden (trade) and Scott Gomez (FA).
    • Flyers also looking at Gomez.
    • Canucks looking to move top goalie prospect (Schnieder?) and a roster player for Philly's #2 pick, and get local product Turris.
    • Buffalo trying to keep Briere.
    • Drury to San Jose or LA.
    • Yashin to LA or Minnesota
    • Leafs rumoured to be going after Ryan Smyth for Sundin's wing.
    • Leafs also looking at Paul Kariya if they miss out on Smyth.
    • Cujo back to the Leafs to tandem with Raycroft all but done (he's accepting a cheap hometown discount)
    • Manny Fernandez to Kings (trade).
    • Gary Roberts to Ottawa.
    • Richards available in TB (to Montreal for Huet, Komisarek + #12 pick?)
    • Marleau & Toskala available in San Jose (to Boston for Murray, Kessel, #8 pick + 2008 1st rnd pick?)
    • Pitkanen available in Philly (Oilers?)

:nuts:
    Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 06-22-2007, 12:35 PM.

Leafs pass on Cujo, and get something better...

The Toronto Maple Leafs have acquired goaltender Vesa Toskala and winger Mark Bell from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for a conditional first round pick, a second-round pick in 2007 and a 2009 fourth-round pick

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

Like the move...Toskala is coming off a great year (26-10-1 with a 2.35 GAA and a .908 SP)...nice tandem with him and Raycroft...this was a weak draft past the top 3 anyway....Now they need to pick up Smyth, and we're done...
    Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 06-22-2007, 01:37 PM.

Comment

At #6, the Oil will pick either Voracek or Gagner, depending on who's available. They will not take a Dman with that pick...I'd stake my life on it.

Comment

flyers looking to overspend huge on Gomez as well from the reports I read. I don't know how factual it is but I read he wants to play in the west but the flyers could go as high as 7.5 for him, crazy if true. I'd take Drury or Briere over him.

Smyth to the leafs would be a good fit but where are they coming up with this money? They didn't lose any big contracts off the books did they? Yet they add Toskala and Bell, now they want Smyth. JFJ must be workin some magic...

Latest I'm hearing in Van is we might be trading with Boston for their pick, then turnaround and deal with philly to get Turris. Schneider, Morrison, Ohlund, Bourdon apparently all available. Ohlund has the ntc. Also rumblings of interest in Marleau, which might make sense if Morrision gets traded as part of the Turris deal. Tho I don't know how much trade bait we'd have left to get him if we're dealing out roster players to get Turris.

Comment

Originally posted by Angelus View Post
          At #6, the Oil will pick either Voracek or Gagner, depending on who's available. They will not take a Dman with that pick...I'd stake my life on it.
          Is Lowe targeting some dmen in fa? Why no interest in Alzner

Comment

Recchi and Roberts back in Pitt for another season

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

Comment

Originally posted by flmmkrz View Post
              I think you've gotta pick the best player available regardless of position. Everyone points to our D...but then forget we scored the least amount of goals in the NHL last year...

Comment

wow this is pretty big

Vokoun to the panthers

NHL Hockey News - Preds deal Vokoun to Panthers - sportsnet.ca

Comment

Voracek is most likely going 4th or 5th...but if he's still there then, yes...Oil might snag him. That's a little early for the over-rated Gagner. He's more likely to go 8-11, IMO.

All I've heard is Edmonton = defence....and I think it will be Calgary's Alzner. Your life is a bit much to lay on the line! LOL. We'll see...

Comment

Smyth to the leafs would be a good fit but where are they coming up with this money? They didn't lose any big contracts off the books did they? Yet they add Toskala and Bell, now they want Smyth. JFJ must be workin some magic...
                    Leafs have 7-8 million left to spend on FAs. I believe Toskala only makes 1.5, and Bell 2. Also...word is, Mcabe and Kubina are on the block...if there's any takers. I hear Mcabe to NYI.

Comment

They are interested. They've interviewed him 3 times...most of any team

Comment

wow this is pretty big

Vokoun to the panthers

NHL Hockey News - Preds deal Vokoun to Panthers - sportsnet.ca
                        Yup...wow. They said there would be alot of goalie movement....I guess they were right! Fernandez to LA next?

Comment

I think you've gotta pick the best player available regardless of position. Everyone points to our D...but then forget we scored the least amount of goals in the NHL last year...
                          But these guys aren't for next year...it's 2-4 years down the road. Lowe loves that Alzner kid....believe it. With stay-at-homers Jason Smith and Staios getting older...he'd love to get Alzner. Just what I've been hearing...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
                            Leafs have 7-8 million left to spend on FAs. I believe Toskala only makes 1.5, and Bell 2. Also...word is, Mcabe and Kubina are on the block...if there's any takers. I hear Mcabe to NYI.
                            I had no idea they had that much left, I thought they were pretty close to the cap already. I've been hearing the McCabe to the Isles rumour, I can't believe anyone wants to take on that salary but leafs can make some serious dents in fa if they got that cash and were able to move him at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
                              They are interested. They've interviewed him 3 times...most of any team
                              that makes sense, I couldn't see Lowe passing on him unless one of the top guys just fell into his lap. The oil have some good offensive talent in the pipeline as well as on the team, a big boy manning the blue line is a huge need. Even Ellerby would be a nice pick up for them

Comment

Working...
                              X