No announcement yet.

Is It Kickoff Yet??!!! Top 25 CFB Preseason Picks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FF, maybe WW is biased towards the Big East but the guy can't give his opinion?

You are obviously biased against the Big East. That became apparent after WW gave the Big East's bowl record last year and you claimed that was because their opponents didn't care if they won or not? Are you serious?

I don't think WW was claiming that Louisville or Rutgers would roll through the SEC or Big 10 at 11-1. They are excellent football teams though. And they would be excellent football teams in any conference.

And just for the record, I went to UCONN. So, like EVERYONE in the forum, I have a bias. Maybe I shouldn't be allowed to give an opinion then.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
      whatever WW. Who cares how they did in bowl games. If you haven't figured out by now that 1/2 the teams in bowl games from major conferences could give a **** about their bowl game then you have been absent for a long while.

If you think that if Louisville played in a major conference and WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT had to play the LSU's and Floridas of the world, that they would be preseason #7, you're smoking crack.

My whole point was that if any of these teams played in the Big12, Big10 or SEC etc...they would be 9-3 teams at best. So i guess you're telling me that Louisville would head down to Florida and Georgia and pick up wins there...probably knock off LSU and Auburn at home...yeah, maybe you're right. I guess they would be an 11-1 team in the SEC. My bad.

And dude, you're a huge Bigeast homer, so thanks for your biased opinion....

You have some kind of nerve calling me a HOMER .. And since you wanna bash the BIG EAST Teams for their non conference schedules , let's talk about THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY's non conference schedule..

That's a dandy of a non conference schedule there
      1.YOUNGSTOWN ST ****

Youngstown "Fing State" they scheduled. Big Bad Ohio St has scheduled YOUNGSTOWN ST ... ?

WTF is that ?

And Kent,Akron.. Why don't they just go join the Mac ..

There is nothing wrong with the Big East right now .. They got raded by the ACC.. You are blaming the remaining teams for that and your bashing them cause they are not scheduling big time non conference schedules and your saying they don't deserve BCS Births.

YOUR DEAD WRONG, YOU KNOW IT , I KNOW IT , and this whole forum knows it... The Big East was 5-0 in bowl games and 37-8 in nonconference games (the best mark of any league). 14-7 vs the other BCS Conference Teams, but that means nothing? You make statements like " they don't deserve to rack up wins and play those non conference schedules and get BCS Birth ."

Just like some of those ridiculous statement you made about the baskets tourney last year , saying, "they should have a B Tournament for all the smaller conferences cause none of them really have a shot at winning anyway."

I'll listen to your last argument and that's all ..

I learned a long time ago to NEVER ARGUE WITH A KNOW-IT-ALL....
      Last edited by BUNK MORELAND; 07-23-2007, 01:31 PM.
      Keep em in the hole, Down in the hole

NCAA STR PLAYS YTD
      (5-6) -1.5

NCAA 3 PICKS PARLAYS YTD
      (1-1) +1 unit

NCAA ML STR PLAYS YTD
      (0-2) -1 unit

NBA STR PLAYS YTD
      (2-0) +2.5 units

Comment

Has anyone seen any week 1 lines yet?

I am getting antsy. :beerbang:

Spaceman

Comment

If you think that if Louisville played in a major conference and WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT had to play the LSU's and Floridas of the world, that they would be preseason #7, you're smoking crack.

My whole point was that if any of these teams played in the Big12, Big10 or SEC etc...they would be 9-3 teams at best. So i guess you're telling me that Louisville would head down to Florida and Georgia and pick up wins there...probably knock off LSU and Auburn at home...yeah, maybe you're right. I guess they would be an 11-1 team in the SEC. My bad.

And dude, you're a huge Bigeast homer, so thanks for your biased opinion....
          FF- I know it not the focus of your argument, but please stop comparing the Big 10 to the SEC. The SEC is head and shoulders above every conference right now, including your beloved Big 10. Willi Wonks may be a bit a of Big East homer, but you are an OSU/Big 10 homer. The Big 10 is nothing special outside of the Big 3 (Mich, OSU, and Wisky). WVU, UL, and RU all have more speed than most of the Big 10 schools. Big 10 football is the most overrated thing in college sports in the past few years, IMHO. Both the Big East and Big 10 have 3 very good football teams right now, and the Big 10 only has more depth because (1) they have more teams so they win the "numbers game" and (2) they are huge schools (except Northwestern) with unlimited resources. Plus, with the unbalanced schedule certain Big 10 teams don't even play each other. College football right now is the SEC and everyone else.

You can't honestly tell me that you don't think Louisville, Rutgers, West Virginia and an quickly up and coming South Florida squad can't play with teams like Penn State, Iowa, Purdue and the other Big 10 conference midlings. You're in OSU denial since they've been so good the last couple years. Who says Ohio State is better than West Virginia or Louisville or Rutgers this year?

Anyway, point is that you make some fine points about the schedules, but Willi Wonks does also because they were RAIDED by the ACC and had to re-adjust their schedules and take time to make the resurgence the conference has had recently. You just refuse to give these teams credit, and you also sound a bit misguided in your comments that these big conference schools don't care about bowl games. Maybe they don't if they are 7-5 going into the International Bowl in Toronto or something, but they definitely do in the better bowls and especially the BCS ones. To take away from the Big East for going 5-0 in bowls last year, and 2-0 in the past two years in BCS games is a bit hard to stomach, IMHO even if they had nice matchups or whatever the case as you perceive it to be.

For whatever reason, you just don't seem to want to give credit to any conferences other than what you perceive to be, and traditionally was, the Big 3 (SEC, B10, B12). The Big 12 South is an atrocity. They have Nebraska and that's it. Who says Nebraska could definitively crack the Top 3 in the Big East this year? I can't, and I don't think they are any better than the top tier of the Big East. Rutgers beat the piss out K-State (who scored 40+ and beat Texas) last year and Mizzou has no defense and the other three teams suck. The North has Oklahoma and Texas and then three teams that can't spell defense, nevermind play it (and Baylor). What makes that conference so great? Please let me know.

Always respect your opinion, but I really think you are discrediting the conference on this one, and giving praise to traditional power conferences who don't really deserve it in the current landscape of college football. There's much more parody than I think you are giving creedence too.
          Last edited by CuseFan10; 07-23-2007, 02:13 PM. Reason: made sure "their" were no spelling mistakes FF, haha...

Comment

Cuse- toss this in, as i think the Pac10 is actually very very good and you will see that this year. Cal, USC, UCLA are all very good teams. Here's the difference. CAL played TENN home and home. USC played at Auburn, at Nebraska, they have a home and home with OSU next year and in '09....UCLA went to ND last year and they host them this year. They play TENN next year. OSU, Michigan, Penn State...they all play people. The real cruxt of my argument is that THOSE TEAMS PLAY NOBODY. Those are 3 of the worst schedules in football. I never said the big10 is the best conference in football. The SEC is the toughest conference, IMO. I think the Pac10 is the 2nd best conference. There are almost ZERO easy wins in the Pac10, especially with Arizona and Oregon State getting better. But you have to play somebody Cuse. If LOU was in the big10 this year, i can promise you one thing.....Wisconsin, Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan are all better than anything the BigEast has. They wouldn't be preseason #7 if they were in a decent conference. WVU and LOU each have at least NINE FREE wins on their schedule. Games where they could win with Rothko at QB. Ohio State went to Morgantown and beat the Mountys when they were ranked like 5th in the mid 90's. People will go play there.

Go play somebody and they will garner my respect. I would have more respect for Louisville playing a good schedule and going 9-3 than i would for that horse's ass of a schedule they play and will probably go 11-1 or 12-0. I mean lets say LOU goes 12-0 with that garbage, you can't seriously tell me they are a better team than Florida, USC, Michigan etc...who might have a loss or 2 because hey, they actually played some non HS caliber teams.

I am in agreement, though, cuse that there is a lot of parody in CFB. The one thing i can say, though, is that my squad won't duck anyone. They finished a home and home with Texas, they are finishing one with UW this year (UW was good when they put that together), they start a home and home with USC next year as well. They play 2 in state schools as an agreement to help fund some of those smaller programs. That was put together by the state schools in Ohio a few years ago. I would like to see the big10 go to 9 league games, but why would you when schools like WVU are adding MTSU, Huntington HS etc....that is what sucks cuse is that when you have schools like those that don't play anyone, others can't either because why play an extra game like at Iowa, when others are adding MTSU etc......i would personally like to see everyone schedule up. It just isn't fair when some teams and some conferences play people and others don't that's all.
            I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

Originally posted by spaceman View Post
              FF, maybe WW is biased towards the Big East but the guy can't give his opinion?

You are obviously biased against the Big East. That became apparent after WW gave the Big East's bowl record last year and you claimed that was because their opponents didn't care if they won or not? Are you serious?

I don't think WW was claiming that Louisville or Rutgers would roll through the SEC or Big 10 at 11-1. They are excellent football teams though. And they would be excellent football teams in any conference.

And just for the record, I went to UCONN. So, like EVERYONE in the forum, I have a bias. Maybe I shouldn't be allowed to give an opinion then.

my whole point had to do with the schedule those 2 schools are playing. It really rubs me the wrong way that you can just play 10 ****ty teams and 1 good team in your conference and get a BCS bid. I can tell you there are about 35 teams in the country that would go 11-1 or 12-0 with those schedules.

maybe i shouldn't have been so hard on the bigleast. I have nothing against any of those teams, and didn't before they started being ranked 7th in the country because they don't play anyone.......Keep this in mind.....LOU or WVU whoever loses the bigleast title will probably still be 11-1 because they played 8 HS teams and will be competing for an at-large BCS berth. Is that fair when CAL goes 10-2 and plays Tennessee, UCLA, USC, at Oregon etc......or an LSU team who might go 10-2 but plays Florida, Georgia, VTech, Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas etc.....no freeking way.....I personally pull for cincy being an Ohio guy and i thought Rutgers was a great story last year. But there is no excuses for that schedule, im sorry. None.
              Last edited by FlyersFan; 07-23-2007, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Glad to see we are all in agreement that the SEC is by far and away the best of the best...and well the rest are just the rest....bring it on!:beerbang:

Comment

:nice:

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
                    :nice:

aaahhhhh, i hadn't stirred anything up in a while....just getting in a little work before the season begins........:glass:

Comment

aaahhhhh, i hadn't stirred anything up in a while....
                      but you sure have laid some shyt around. try stirring that up!

O-H

F-C-K

O-F-F!

LOL
                      :hide:

"Schooly D is fat cake yo."
                      -Big Pimpin-

Comment

Originally posted by Q-Unit View Post
                        try stirring that up!

:nono: :ba:

Comment

i know this has been constantly argued over and over, but IMO, if there were some way to implement a playoff system, it would reward GOOD teams. more than likely at least.

just because you have an easy schedule does not mean you're not a good team.

but if you aren't given the opportunity, its all for naught.
                          :hide:

"Schooly D is fat cake yo."
                          -Big Pimpin-

Comment

FF - Totally understand all of those points, and as always I respect your opinion and ability to have a nice discussion, but one point I might add is that the Big East teams are recent, up and coming (and hopeful) powerhouses. What Rutgers did with their schedule is what they had to do. They were possibly the worst D1 team in all of football (sans Buffalo) for 3-5 years. To get wins, notoriety, and respect - they first had to start winning. After getting back to some moderate winning ways, they then had to beat the upper echelon teams in their conference (which they did last year). Now that they've done it, they need to keep the winning culture for a couple years to ride this wave and stabilize the program as a hopeful Top 20 fixture. Even you can agree with that, no? Also, schedules are made years in advance and a few years ago Rutgers was a nobody (and Louisville was a doormat) so they had to enter into contracts with the Buffalos, Armys, Navys, etc... I hope if RU continues to do well as a program that in 4-5 years they step up the schedule when they'll have the respect they need top not fall 20 places in the rankings if they go play someone like Purdue or Nebraska or Penn State and lose.

As for WVU, I can see your point there but I don't know what to tell you. They definitely don't have any premier out of conferences games on the docket, but they also don't have the embarrassing non-conference type games that some schools do. These games are made so far in advance, and it's not their fault Mississippi State still sucks, Maryland is a solid non-conference game, Marshall has to be played for in-state reasons, and that leaves Western Michigan and East Carolina. I would definitely love to see one of them replaced with say a Georgia or a Penn State or something , but who knows if those schools would even agree to a home and home with WVU? Point is, I don't think WVU's schedule looking so "easy" is totally there fault.

As far as Louisville is concerned, non-D1A games are a joke. BCS conference teams shouldn't even be allowed to play D1-AA teams, IMHO. I know it makes the small schools money, but still. After that, UL has a solid group going to SEC Kentucky and ACC NC State, and getting MTSU (the cupcake) and Utah at home.

You don't respect their schedules because you don't like the conference, IMO. You look at USF, UConn, Pitt, Syracuse, and prob even Rutgers still to some extent as "joke type" games while OSU's middle tier is Iowa, Penn State, Mich State, and Purdue. You don't believe the proverbial gap is closing (and that's fine, it's your opinion).

Lastly, you are right OSU and Tressel won't duck anyone but this is a BAD year to make that argument considering their non-conference schedule is flukishly deplorable with Texas off the schedule (Youngstown State, Akron, Kent State at home, and at Washington). I know you gave the reasons for each, but it's undeniably atrocious nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post

Lastly, you are right OSU and Tressel won't duck anyone but this is a BAD year to make that argument considering their non-conference schedule is flukishly deplorable with Texas off the schedule (Youngstown State, Akron, Kent State at home, and at Washington). I know you gave the reasons for each, but it's undeniably atrocious nonetheless.

Cuse- come on now. MissState has sucked for 6 years now and are picked last in the SEC West. They haven't been good since like '01. Maryland would be picked dead last in the ACC if not for LOU opponent NCST. ECU? WMichigan? come on now.....OSU played them home and home in the 90's and we buried them at home at night. I don't think they have played anyone since (don't quote me).

And on OSU, they are one of the schools who CONTINUALLY year in and year out puts a marquee game on the docket. The UW game was part of a home and home that was spread out over a few seasons. Unfortunately they are down still this year. But come on, USC coming up as well as OKLA already on the schedule after that home and home. They have always played 1 very tough game and 2 in state games for the money for the instate schools. Now they have added this 12th game and i would like to see the big10 go to another league game, buy why would you when other schools are ducking top competition. I do agree it sucks. I was just talking to someone and we were saying how there are only 2 home games worth seeing this year (wisky and michigan state). Kind of sucks as a fan, i can tell you that.

I hear you cuse, and i am not a big east hater despite what some of you think. I agree with some of your points, but i am still not backing off my stance that it sucks that both LOU and WVU will probably not lose any games and are going to fight with teams like CAL, LSU, FLA etc...for the last BCS spot and those schools may have 2 losses, but actually played some non HS competition. I guess i couldn't stand KST under snyder because he did the same thing as Rodriguez. He scheduled crap upon crap outside of his league. Why can Fresno State manage to play people but WVU can't get a game???

Comment

I would love to see in a couple years:

1- Rutgers and Penn State (home and homes)
                                2- Louisville and Tennessee (home and homes)
                                3- West Virginia and Ohio State (home and homes)
                                4- South Florida and Florida State (home and homes)

But the Big East is still in the process of building to that point, and getting that respect. For the conference's sake, it would help if Syracuse and Pitt get back to semblance of mediocrity/prominence and came along for the ride.

Comment

Working...
                                X