No announcement yet.

Is It Kickoff Yet??!!! Top 25 CFB Preseason Picks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, do you really think that Cal is better than Louisville and/or West Virginia? Nothing to do with schedules, just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
      Also, do you really think that Cal is better than Louisville and/or West Virginia? Nothing to do with schedules, just wondering.
      I can tell you this much...they host TENN, they play USC, UCLA (watch out for UCLA this year...they return 21 guys and have the #1 2008 class right now) and the Pac10 is good Cuse...2nd best conference from top to bottom, IMO. Oregon, Oregon State, Arizona State, Washington State, Washington....all very tough places to play. USC has found that out with a number of close scares over the past few seasons.....so we will certainly know how good CAL is......and if CAL beats TENN and winds up 10-2, then yes they are very deserving.......i have no idea if they are better than those schools, nor do i know if Ohio State, Penn State, UCLA etc..are better because we'll never find out. And im sorry, the Pac10 is a better conference than the big east...Stanford sucks, but outside of that there are no Cincinnatis, Syracuses, UCONNs Pitts.........i dunno.....Kind of hard to take a bunch of games where you're 57 point favorites and win by 50 every week and compare that to a team who has played a good schedule.

To your point on those games....i really wish PennState/PITT was still a game. I wish WVU would play VTECH. WVU/OSU was played in the mid 90's when they were both top 5 teams and the WVU fans were so classless, they threw whisky bottles on the field and the ref had to actually stop the game twice and ask the fans to stop throwing bottles at OSU. So i think the odds of having OSU go to WVU is pretty slim (though it would be fun to kick their ass again...lol).....Rutgers/Navy needs to stop as does WVU/ECU.....those games are fine as long as you have some decent ones to balance them out.....a schedule of Marshall, ECU and Eastern Michigan or some other MAC school isn't going to cut it. And lets be honest, WVU has been a good program for a while now. Beating WVU is a quality win, so they have no excuses for not getting games. But yeah, would be great to see some of those matchups.........

and i agree on SYR and PITT. No reason those schools shouldn't be able to field good programs.
      Last edited by FlyersFan; 07-24-2007, 11:30 PM.
      I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

See again, you're back-handedly knocking the Big East. Also, you don't have to sell me on that Pac 10. I totally agree with you that it's very good this year, and has been lately.

I was simply asking if you think Cal is a better football team than Louisville (who recently has been pumping out NFL players like a factory)?

I personally think that if they played 10 times, they would end up 5-5 or 6-4 at best one way.

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
          See again, you're back-handedly knocking the Big East. Also, you don't have to sell me on that Pac 10. I totally agree with you that it's very good this year, and has been lately.

I was simply asking if you think Cal is a better football team than Louisville (who recently has been pumping out NFL players like a factory)?

I personally think that if they played 10 times, they would end up 5-5 or 6-4 at best one way.
          im not knocking the bigeast cuse. they have some shiat programs in that conference. Cincy sucks (they are so bad the cincinnati press didn't send ONE member to the big east luncheon....cincy coach is steeeeeeeeeeeamed), Uconn sucks, Syracuse sucks (might be one of the worst programs in D1), Pitt is way down......i don't see how that is knocking the big east.....what part of that statement isn't true.......

i was trying to say i have no idea if CAL is better because i can't compare CAL vs. TENN, UCLA, USC, OREGON etc....or UCLA vs. UND, BYU, USC, CAL, OREGON....to LOU vs. NCST, MTSU, Eastern TENN etc.....i would probably have to agree with you on your assessment......

Comment

Look, we could argue this until we are blue in the face. Just go play somebody in September or October and we don't have to have this discussion is my point. And i am seriously going to be steamed if the BigEast were to get a 2nd BCS team at 11-1 over some more deserving programs at 10-2 like an SEC school or a Pac10 School. That is my other point.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                Look, we could argue this until we are blue in the face. Just go play somebody in September or October and we don't have to have this discussion is my point. And i am seriously going to be steamed if the BigEast were to get a 2nd BCS team at 11-1 over some more deserving programs at 10-2 like an SEC school or a Pac10 School. That is my other point.
                The voters would decide that really by how they rank the teams, ya know?

The popcorn icon was hysterical HD, good stuff!

Hopefully, people can look at this discussion and realize that reasonable minds can disagree and go about arguing their points in a civil manner. While I know this is not a comparison of the Big East to the Big 10, I still think Flyers drastically overestimates or underestimates two main things:

(1) The Big 10 has very, very, very mediocre teams (after Mich, OSU, and Wisky). Are they better than the Big East midlings? Undoubtedly they are, it's not even debatable. But they are also HUGE schools with great traditions and unlimited resources (I hear pink paint is expensive in Iowa, no?), while the Big East doesn't have that.

(2) I think he isn't giving enough to creedence to that fact that the Big East was raped and raided by the ACC and is still recovering from it (and I do believe it reflects in how they've scheduled to return to some sort of prominence). They did what they had to do. Hopefully, it lessens soon, but it's hard to argue with the results.

:beerbang:

How many 10-2 teams have made the "BCS Dance" as at large teams? I'll look it up but does anyone know offhand? I'd guess they are few and far between though (maybe CAL should not spot TENN 5 TD's in this year's tilt, eh?). Just a thought.
                Last edited by CuseFan10; 07-25-2007, 03:09 PM.

Comment

A majority of 10-2 or 9-2 teams have made the BCS as at-large teams so it would come down to how the voters vote on whether or not an 11-1 Big East squad would get in over a 10-2 Cal team (amongst other factors obviously).

Comment

all the games are fixed by rogue referees anyways LOL

at least college football brings out this discussion, its great water cooler talk.

dont get me wrong I love the NBA, but the discussions arent that deep, who's gonna argue with me that the East sucks, and the West dominates, who cares if the Heat and the Pistons won twice in the last decade. we all no know it was fixed that way LMAO
                    :hide:

"Schooly D is fat cake yo."
                    -Big Pimpin-

Comment

Originally posted by homedawg View Post
                      :beerbang:

Cuse- i love the big 10 obviously, but i really don't have a bias towards anything based on my likes or dislikes. The big10 has 4 very good teams this year, PennState, Wisky, Michigan and OSU (3 of them are top 10 teams in the rivals rankings). Penn State is somewhat questionable, but by all accounts has a favorable schedule and should be strong. Iowa, Purdue and Michigan State are complete enigmas.....i have no idea which team will show up each week. Then you have Minnesota who pounds on the crappy teams (they have been much better over the past 5 years than Syracuse, Cincy, UConn or Pitt, though, IMO) and can't beat anyone good. Then there are the bottom feeders in Indiana, Illinois and Northwester. But i think it's fair to say that they are getting better. The big10 is what it is. They have never been a deep conference in terms of the same teams being good each year. There are ususally 3-4 very strong big10 teams......OSU and Michigan are there, but then it is a rotation among 2 or 3 other teams each year to see who is in the mix. That is the big 10's problem, IMO is that teams like Iowa, Purdue, etc...can't sustain season after season of being good. I think the conferences in order of toughness (and this takes into account how tough it is to play somewhere and the amount of great, good and poor teams) are SEC(1), Pac10(2), Big10(3), Big12(4), ACC(5) (i think 3/4/5 flip flop from year to year), BigLeast(6), MWC(7) and beyond that who cares. I think the ACC is way down lately with FSU and Miami being down and some putrid programs in Duke, NCarolina, NCState...Maryland has been crap lately......they have no top tier teams lately either....at least the Big10 and Big12 have 3 top 15 teams......but that is just my personal thoughts. I think the lack of a middle tier in the big east hurts them. They have 3 very good teams, one average team and 4 awful teams. And there really aren't any places you play in the big east where home field scares you outside of LOU and WVU. I saw a PITT/SYR game at PITT 4 years ago and that wasn't very impressive, SYR sucks so the dome isn't what it used to be, Cincy gets outdrawn (literally) by the local HS games that are played at Nippert.....and UConn is about 70,000 seats short of Ohio State or Tennessee.

And as far as being raided....i honestly used to like BigEast football.....some great games were lost like WVU/VTECH, BC/WVU, BC/VTECH etc.....but come one cuse, that shouldn't effect who you play out of conference. I realize that they had some scheduling voids, but that doesn't excuse not playing anyone. That WVU schedule is just pure and utter shiat and has nothing to do with having to add 2 extra games. Ok, so they only were able to add 2 **** teams for now. What then happened with the other 3 ****ty teams that are on the schedules of LOU and WVU?

I honestly enjoy discussions like this. And i agree with what 1st grade avatar said about at least it brings up discussion. I think you have a little big east bias cuse, and you are a known big10 hater on this site, so i think you have to acknowledge that too.
                      Last edited by FlyersFan; 07-25-2007, 07:01 PM.

Comment

How is this FLORIDA:beerbang:

Comment

JPix - I don't blame SEC schools for scheduling "light" as long as they have one legit game on the docket, and Florida does with Florida State. The SEC is so deep and brutal to navigate that I think as long as they have one, it's fine. I'm sure also like Ohio State that Florida has contracts with other in-state schools to make them some money (and that's why they play FAU).

FF- These types of discussions are why I come to this place. I enjoy posting plays too, but in my time here I've found discussions such as these to be the "fun" of this place. As for your conference rankings, I would mostly agree. The SEC is clearly #1, and the Pac 10 projects to be #2. I would probably put the ACC 3rd because of it's depth (though they don't have any big teams except VT, IMO). 4th I'd say the Big 10 edges the Big 12, and then the Big East is #6 still until they develop some kinda of depth (USF is coming and Pitt needs to rebuild - and remember, the Big East is only 8 teams now with UConn being a young pup still).

Anyway, I admit I am a "Big 10 hater" of sorts, but I don't think I totally overstep the bounds of objectivity about them either. I root for the Big East because of Syracuse and Rutgers, but I'll give the Big 2 (I mean 10, or 11, or whatever it is) credit when it's due. I admittedly get sick of all the Big 10 big business though that ESPN pulls on us. I understand the Big 10 makes sooooooo much more money, but how many Minnesota vs Iowa or Northwestern vs Illinois or Indiana vs Michigan State games can a guy watch, ya know? It's really a travesty those idiots can't get a contract with the Pac 10 so we could see some better games at times.
                          Last edited by CuseFan10; 07-25-2007, 06:59 PM.

Comment

WVU schedule:
                            2008 H.. Auburn A.. Colorado

2009 A.. Auburn H.. Colorado

2010 H.. Mich St. 2 TBA

2011 A.. Mich St. 2 TBA

2012 & 2013 home and home Florida St.

3 quality teams left the conference (Miami. Va Tech. BC) with 1 quality team added (Louisville). You don't add a quality team to a schedule in a year or two (most schedules are made 3-5 years in advance). The Marshall game was made because of some arm bending by State officials much like OSU and the in state MAC schools. You can't compare ANY conference schedule to the SEC. No other conference stacks up to that brutality week in and week out as does the SEC.........

Comment

Cuse, I mean Florida as in National Champions................. over Ohio State.

Thought that would settle this down somewhat...............

Comment

Good Stuff JPix! I agree 100% with what you're saying. They had to build to get to where they are and now they have to step it up (which WVU obviously has done). Hopefully, Louisville has as well, and in time, I know Schiano will at Rutgers.

:thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X