X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB
    started a topic Chris Benoit and family found dead in home

Chris Benoit and family found dead in home

This is already bizarre...apparently going to get even more bizarre. I know there are not a lot of WWE fans on this site, but I am one and this guy is/was one of the truley best wrestlers to ever get in the ring. This is just really really sad:

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. -- WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and son were found dead Monday, and police said they were investigating the deaths as a murder-suicide.

Pro wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and 7-year-old son were found dead in their Georgia home.

Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department said the three were found at their home about 2:30 p.m.

Pope said autopsies on Benoit, his wife Nancy, and 7-year-old son Daniel were scheduled for 10 a.m. on Tuesday. It could be weeks before there is a result.

Benoit had missed several appointments over the weekend, leading some concerned parties to ask police to do a "welfare check," Pope told ABC News. The WWE reported on its Web site on Monday night that friends received several curious text messages sent by Benoit early Sunday morning, prompting VP of Government Relations for WWE, Inc. Richard Hering to contact Fayette County sheriffs on Monday and request they check on Benoit and his family. When sheriffs arrived at the home, they found the wrestler, his wife and their son dead.

Detective Bo Turner told television station WAGA that the case was being treated as a murder-suicide, but he said that couldn't be confirmed until evidence was examined by a crime lab.

The station said that investigators believe the 40-year-old Benoit killed Nancy, 43, and Daniel over the weekend, then himself on Monday. The bodies were found in three rooms.

According to Pope, there were no signs of gunshot wounds or stabbing. Authorities are not ruling out other causes, such as poisoning, suffocation or strangulation.

"The details, when they come out are going to prove a little bizarre," said Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard, according to The Atlanta-Journal Constitution.

Pope told ABC News "the instruments of death were located on scene," but would not specify what those instruments are or where in the house the bodies were found. Pope added the department is "not actively searching for any suspects outside of the house."

The house is in a secluded neighborhood set back about 60 yards off a gravel road, surrounded by stacked stone wall and a double-iron gate. On Monday night, the house was dark except for a few outside lights. There was a police car in front, along with two uniformed officers.

Benoit was a former world heavyweight champion, Intercontinental champion and held several tag-team titles over his career.

"WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family's relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy," the federation said in a statement on its Web site.

Benoit was scheduled to perform at the "Vengeance" pay-per-view event Sunday night in Houston, but was replaced at the last minute because of what announcer Jim Ross called "personal reasons."

Benoit, a Canadian native, maintained a home in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the defunct World Championship Wrestling.

The WWE canceled its live "Monday Night RAW" card in Corpus Christi, Texas, and USA Network aired a three-hour tribute to Benoit in place of the scheduled wrestling telecast.

"My relationship with Chris has extended many years and I consider him a great friend," Carl DeMarco, the president of WWE Canada, said in a statement. "Chris was always first-class -- warm, friendly, caring and professional -- one of the best in our business."

• Nigel Tufnel
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
    Yeah...but I think that has a lot to do with trying to remember the good sides of people...especcially on that tribute show. What are they going to say? "yeah...chris was a pretty good guy, really had your back... but he could sure fly off the ******* handle sometimes! What a nut." I don't think so. Maybe he did, maybe not. I really don't know...but I know that I don't take that tribute, or "after the fact" TV interviews too seriously. It's not a popular thing to kick a dead man while he's literally down....especially a friend. I know if some of my acquantances, who were known to get real drunk and start fights, ever died....during my TV segment, I would probably say he was a "fun, wild guy" instead of a "mean drunk who pushed the limit".

Benoit, like most of the wrestlers that come out of Canada, trained at the "dungeon" in Calgary with Stu and Bruce Hart and the rest of the Hart family in Calgary. This is Bruce's take on Chris (it was on the front page of the Toronto and Calgary Sun newspapers today with the HUGE headline "Juice Freak".)

TorontoSun.com - Canada - 'Freak'
    Fair enough....good points. But I still think there would be more stories about violent behavior from other wrestlers. Bruce Hart openly admitted that he hadn't seen much of Benoit. And lest we forget, the Hart family HATES the WWE because of what Vince did to Bret Hart. I don't know...this testimonial means less to me than every wrestler who has commented about how shocked they are. Wrestlers may have the tightest knit family ever..but there are enough wrestlers who have been fired by the WWE and would be happy to pile on Benoit...yet it hasn't happened.

Hopefully we'll find out soon enough...the toxicology report should answer all these mysteries...or...quite possibly they won't.

Leave a comment:

• homedawg
    replied
    ATLANTA -- Investigators are looking into who altered Canadian pro wrestler Chris Benoit's Wikipedia entry to mention his wife's death 14 hours before authorities found the bodies of the couple and their 7-year-old son in their Atlanta home.

:beer2:

Leave a comment:

• homedawg
    replied
    Originally posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    An anonymous user operating a computer traced to Stamford, Conn. — home to World Wrestling Entertainment — posted an entry to pro wrestler Chris Benoit's biography on Wikipedia.org announcing the death of his wife Nancy about 14 hours before police in suburban Atlanta said they found her body along with her husband's and that of their 7-year-old son, FOXNews.com has learned.

Employees at Wikipedia.com said the posting went live on their site on Monday at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Standard Time. Police, however, said they found the bodies Monday at 2:30 p.m. EDT.

Wikipedia.org's computers are set to record Standard and Universal Time, a spokesman told FOXNews.com.

The posting reads: “Chris Benoit was replaced by [[Johnny Nitro]] for the ECW Championship match at Vengeance, as Benoit was not there due to personal issues, stemming from the death of his wife Nancy.”

The posting was apparently made in reference to Benoit's scheduled appearance on Sunday night at an Extreme Championship Wrestling event in Texas, with the last phrase noted in red to indicate an edit made to the original entry.

An employee from Wikipedia.org told FOXNews.com that he called and left a message with investigative authorities in Fayetteville, Ga., at around 11 a.m. EDT on Tuesday, after the posting was brought to the attention of the St. Petersburg, Fla.-based Web site.

“I chat with other editors on IRC -- Internet relay chat -- and somebody pointed it out to me on a relay chat and that it came from a Stamford connection, and that it took place at midnight Eastern Standard Time on Monday morning,” said Wikipedia.org volunteer coordinator Cary Bass. “I called and left a message with the police department.”

The computer-generated time and date stamp of the Benoit entry are listed as 4:01, 25 June 2007. Wikipedia.org lists its entries according to Universal Time, also known as Greenwich Mean Time.

A message left by FOXNews.com with Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department was not immediately returned.

Investigators so far have ruled the Benoit killings as a double homicide-suicide.

Wikipedia.org claims to be one of the largest reference Web sites, and is written collaboratively by users from around the world. Approved users can make submissions and change entries that are posted on the site almost immediately. Bass said the site is constantly monitored to correct inaccuracies.

Bass said when there is a high-profile case, such as the Benoit killlings, Wikipedia.org limits postings to registered users, which is now indicated at the top of the Benoit entry. According to the listed history on the Benoit entry, the computer used to post the 12:01 a.m. entry had a Stamford, Conn., Internet Protocol — or IP — address, a numeric designation that is assigned to every computer with an Internet connection, and that same address has been used to post about a dozen other messages on the site, dating back to May 16, 2007.
    :ohman:ya go out and kill your wife and son, then tell the whole world????

no way!:beer2:

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyMapleLeaf
    replied
    Originally posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    I think that beerman was referring to the fact that every single person that was close to Benoit has unequivocally stated that he was one of the nicest and reserved people they had ever met. Let's face it...who was around Benoit more? Fellow wrestlers or his family? Those guys are on the road like 300-320 days a year. I watched a little of Nancy Grace last night (boy, she's a winner) and Chris Jericho was interviewed. Jericho and Benoit were together in Japan, ECW, WCW and WWE and were best of friends. He said that Benoit never raised his voice, never got angry and would actually be the peacemaker in any situations that got out of hand. He said he never could have believed Benoit was capable of something like he did. He did say that roids might have had something to do with what happened, but he believed Benoit had some major psychological issues which were never brought to the surface in the 15 some odd years they were best friends and on the road together.

Now, that's not to say that Benoit didn't go home and act totally differently in the privacy of his own home. Nancy Benoit did file for divorce and a restraining order in 03 or 04...but she later dismissed it. In my line of work, I see a lot of restraining orders...a lot of them are frivilous...one spouse (almost always the woman) trying to get a "leg up" on the custody battle that will occur through the divorce. Clearly, it seems that Nancy's petition had merit...but she dismissed it nonetheless.

Its just strange that NOBODY but Nancy saw the violent side of Benoit....one would think that if he had it in him to kill his wife, child and himself, that at some point over the past...say 10 years...someone would have seen at least ONE violent tendency from the guy....but it never happened.

Guess that's what makes this situation so bizarre.
    Yeah...but I think that has a lot to do with trying to remember the good sides of people...especcially on that tribute show. What are they going to say? "yeah...chris was a pretty good guy, really had your back... but he could sure fly off the ******* handle sometimes! What a nut." I don't think so. Maybe he did, maybe not. I really don't know...but I know that I don't take that tribute, or "after the fact" TV interviews too seriously. It's not a popular thing to kick a dead man while he's literally down....especially a friend. I know if some of my acquantances, who were known to get real drunk and start fights, ever died....during my TV segment, I would probably say he was a "fun, wild guy" instead of a "mean drunk who pushed the limit".

Benoit, like most of the wrestlers that come out of Canada, trained at the "dungeon" in Calgary with Stu and Bruce Hart and the rest of the Hart family in Calgary. This is Bruce's take on Chris (it was on the front page of the Toronto and Calgary Sun newspapers today with the HUGE headline "Juice Freak".)

TorontoSun.com - Canada - 'Freak'
    Last edited by JohnnyMapleLeaf; 06-29-2007, 05:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• homedawg
    replied
    Benoit "loving person," ex-wife says

Chris Benoit's former wife, Martina Benoit, said the star wrestler "was the most loving person anyone could imagine. I love him."

Reached at her home in Ardrossan, Alberta, Canada, Benoit called reporting of the killings in Fayette County "crap." She did not elaborate before ending the call.

:beer2:

Leave a comment:

• homedawg
    replied
    BTW, if he was such a "holy man", then why wasn't there a bible by himself???????:beer2:

Leave a comment:

• Nigel Tufnel
    replied
    You know he showed no major signs of rage? From what I heard, he had been abusive to her in the past, and they had seperated several times...

He put the bibles AFTER the rage because of a little thing called remorse...probably many hours after...

I think that beerman was referring to the fact that every single person that was close to Benoit has unequivocally stated that he was one of the nicest and reserved people they had ever met. Let's face it...who was around Benoit more? Fellow wrestlers or his family? Those guys are on the road like 300-320 days a year. I watched a little of Nancy Grace last night (boy, she's a winner) and Chris Jericho was interviewed. Jericho and Benoit were together in Japan, ECW, WCW and WWE and were best of friends. He said that Benoit never raised his voice, never got angry and would actually be the peacemaker in any situations that got out of hand. He said he never could have believed Benoit was capable of something like he did. He did say that roids might have had something to do with what happened, but he believed Benoit had some major psychological issues which were never brought to the surface in the 15 some odd years they were best friends and on the road together.

Now, that's not to say that Benoit didn't go home and act totally differently in the privacy of his own home. Nancy Benoit did file for divorce and a restraining order in 03 or 04...but she later dismissed it. In my line of work, I see a lot of restraining orders...a lot of them are frivilous...one spouse (almost always the woman) trying to get a "leg up" on the custody battle that will occur through the divorce. Clearly, it seems that Nancy's petition had merit...but she dismissed it nonetheless.

Its just strange that NOBODY but Nancy saw the violent side of Benoit....one would think that if he had it in him to kill his wife, child and himself, that at some point over the past...say 10 years...someone would have seen at least ONE violent tendency from the guy....but it never happened.

Guess that's what makes this situation so bizarre.

Leave a comment:

• homedawg
    replied
    He put the bibles AFTER the rage because of a little thing called remorse...

:conf: Serial killers often leave a 'signature' :beer2:

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyMapleLeaf
    replied
    Originally posted by beermantm View Post
    I would like to know how the media thinks that a guy that has gone 22 years in pro wrestling and probably doing roids for 20 years that has shown no major signs of roid rage ever before all the sudden has a three day roid rage?? He was so raging that he put bibles down at the feet of his Son and Wife.
    You know he showed no major signs of rage? From what I heard, he had been abusive to her in the past, and they had seperated several times...

He put the bibles AFTER the rage because of a little thing called remorse...probably many hours after...

Leave a comment:

• beermantm
    replied
    I would like to know how the media thinks that a guy that has gone 22 years in pro wrestling and probably doing roids for 20 years that has shown no major signs of roid rage ever before all the sudden has a three day roid rage?? He was so raging that he put bibles down at the feet of his Son and Wife.

If anything is to blame here it might be depression or just psychosis.

Yeah the whole deal is getting a bit strange but good for the DEA that they are probably gonna ruin another persons life above the three already lost. I'm sure this doctor is gonna have a hard time explaining the test prescription.
    Just more examples of how the old way of dealing with things is outdated and worthless.

Leave a comment:

• Nigel Tufnel
    replied
    Originally posted by homedawg View Post
    The more I read about this case, the more I am convinced, there was someone else involved!:beer2: Time will tell!
    I hope you are right, homedawg. Doubt it...but truly hope Benoit didn't do that to his wife and 7 year old.

But this whole situation just keeps getting weirder and weirder....check this out....

Time Stamps Indicate Benoit Death Reported About 14 Hours Before Police Found Bodies

Thursday, June 28, 2007

By Blane Bachelor

An anonymous user operating a computer traced to Stamford, Conn. — home to World Wrestling Entertainment — posted an entry to pro wrestler Chris Benoit's biography on Wikipedia.org announcing the death of his wife Nancy about 14 hours before police in suburban Atlanta said they found her body along with her husband's and that of their 7-year-old son, FOXNews.com has learned.

Employees at Wikipedia.com said the posting went live on their site on Monday at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Standard Time. Police, however, said they found the bodies Monday at 2:30 p.m. EDT.

Wikipedia.org's computers are set to record Standard and Universal Time, a spokesman told FOXNews.com.

The posting reads: “Chris Benoit was replaced by [[Johnny Nitro]] for the ECW Championship match at Vengeance, as Benoit was not there due to personal issues, stemming from the death of his wife Nancy.”

The posting was apparently made in reference to Benoit's scheduled appearance on Sunday night at an Extreme Championship Wrestling event in Texas, with the last phrase noted in red to indicate an edit made to the original entry.

An employee from Wikipedia.org told FOXNews.com that he called and left a message with investigative authorities in Fayetteville, Ga., at around 11 a.m. EDT on Tuesday, after the posting was brought to the attention of the St. Petersburg, Fla.-based Web site.

“I chat with other editors on IRC -- Internet relay chat -- and somebody pointed it out to me on a relay chat and that it came from a Stamford connection, and that it took place at midnight Eastern Standard Time on Monday morning,” said Wikipedia.org volunteer coordinator Cary Bass. “I called and left a message with the police department.”

The computer-generated time and date stamp of the Benoit entry are listed as 4:01, 25 June 2007. Wikipedia.org lists its entries according to Universal Time, also known as Greenwich Mean Time.

A message left by FOXNews.com with Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department was not immediately returned.

Investigators so far have ruled the Benoit killings as a double homicide-suicide.

Wikipedia.org claims to be one of the largest reference Web sites, and is written collaboratively by users from around the world. Approved users can make submissions and change entries that are posted on the site almost immediately. Bass said the site is constantly monitored to correct inaccuracies.

Bass said when there is a high-profile case, such as the Benoit killlings, Wikipedia.org limits postings to registered users, which is now indicated at the top of the Benoit entry. According to the listed history on the Benoit entry, the computer used to post the 12:01 a.m. entry had a Stamford, Conn., Internet Protocol — or IP — address, a numeric designation that is assigned to every computer with an Internet connection, and that same address has been used to post about a dozen other messages on the site, dating back to May 16, 2007.

FOXNews.com also has learned, through widely posted Web reports, that former pro wrestler Sherri Martel, who was found dead on June 15, was linked to former wrestler Kevin Sullivan — ex-husband of Nancy Benoit.

Martel, who had a reputation as one of the top managers in pro wrestling, was found dead at her mother’s home in near Birmingham, Ala., on June 15. She was 49.

Investigators, who have not yet determined Martel's cause of death, say foul play is not suspected but that Martel did not die of natural causes.

I'm don't think the wikipedia thing is that big of a deal...probably just a hacker getting his jollies off on a tragedy...but the Sherri Martel thing is pretty strange. All these people knew each other and were linked to this Kevin Sullivan guy....and now they're dead. Probably a coincidence...but pretty strange nonetheless.

Leave a comment:

• Daws1089
    replied
    Originally posted by beermantm View Post
    I've never seen the study that says this. Trust me I've done a huge amount of research on the subject so I know what you are saying but the mood swings are normally caused by not cycling the drug correctly. If you steadily increase the dosage of the drug up till a peak and then slowly lower the dosage in a pyramid fashion followed by post cycle therapy you should feel little if any mood alteration. Roid rage is a "myth". Steroids do not make anyone act crazy or loss their temper. The unfortunate truth is that certain people that have a disposition for violence are drawn to the drug.(add muscle to an ******* and you get a Muscle Bound *******) Steroids work and if you use them correctly the harm that can be caused by them really drops to an insignificant amount. Cosmetically speaking you are taking on a much greater risk if you go to have liposuction done or women having a breast implant surgery than you are at risk from steroid use. Abuse on the other hand is something that can be done with just about any substance you put into your body. Take a bottle of aspirin and see where you land. Drink to much water and water becomes toxic. Anything you abuse can hurt you.

Steroids can have a bad physiological effect if you stay on the drugs to long, stack to many steroids together, and take to big a dosage.(dosage is a huge problem because more steroid does not mean more muscle it just means more work for your body) If you use steroids then go cold turkey you can slip into a depressed state. If you already suffer from some type of depressed state the depression brought on by a sudden withdrawal can be devastating. What has the same effect?? I don't know maybe Prozac and other anti depressants??? No one is screaming about those. I'm glad they aren't to because despite the bad press those drugs help a hell of a lot more people than they hurt.

The fact of the matter is that wrestling is not living a legit life. Everyone that knows about the WWE or what was the WWF and WCW knows what the behaviour of these guys are behind the scenes. They do a bunch of drugs, they don't sleep as much as they need, they abuse themselves physically and mentally and people are wondering why so many of them live short lives?? Nothing different than burn out rockstars that die young. Abuse your body long enough and it will turn on you.

The press is great for inaccurate information and they seem very convincing but lets look at the truth of the situation. This guy was clearly off his rocker and how he got there is probably a combo of a ton of different things he was doing wrong.

Agreed 100%. roid rage is a myth indeed. So many people are misinformed about the topic as a whole and jump to conclusions without actually knowing what the drug does. Great response.

Leave a comment:

• homedawg
    replied
    Blank
    Last edited by Kevin; 01-27-2024, 03:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• homedawg
    replied
    Originally posted by Q-Unit View Post
    agreed.

just please dont let ric flair take off his robe/shirt again on public television!

:blackeye: :beer2:
    :laughing: "Man Boobs" It just happens....:showtits: :drunk:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X