No announcement yet.

Bobby Petrino

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a column that i think says it like it is...

Petrino was never up to the job
    By Jeff Schultz | Tuesday, December 11, 2007, 08:13 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Jeff Schultz

He lost his quarterback. But Bobby Petrino didn’t quit because he lost Michael Vick.

He lost players to knee injuries, ankle injuries — injuries because the JetSki went one way and his defensive tackle’s leg went the other. But Bobby Petrino didn’t quit because the Falcons’ roster was decimated.

Bobby Petrino quit because being an NFL coach isn’t just about Xs and Os. It’s about all of those things Petrino didn’t want to handle and clearly wasn’t equipped to handle. Salary cap issues. Players egos. The most basic form of communication.

Bobby Petrino quit because he couldn’t handle almost anything.

Michael Vick lied to Arthur Blank. Bobby Petrino lied to Arthur Blank. The second guy didn’t break any laws, but the two are closer than we could have imagined in the character department.

Petrino is a quitter. Thirteen games and he is checking out for a job back in the college ranks, where he can mold young men by stepping on them first, which is something you can’t do in the NFL.

Nick Saban couldn’t handle it either. Hey, at least Nick Saban lasted two seasons. By comparison, Nick Saban is a martyr.

Thirteen games. Are you kidding?

When Blank’s head stops spinning after all he has endured this season, he should breathe a sigh of relief. He should get past the fact he has to find another coach. Get past the fact that the franchise he would open a vein for has hit bottom and will take some time to turn around.

Arthur: Get past all of that, because things probably just got better. Save the balance on the five-year, $24 million contract you gave Petrino. Find yourself a coach who won’t melt down every time the temperature rises above 78.

If football is the ultimate game of physical and mental toughness, Petrino turned out to be the ultimate mushhead. This is the NFL. This is Big Boy football. The Falcons already have too many players who stomp their feet and hold their breath. The last thing they needed was a coach who did the same thing.

Petrino said the Falcons were his dream job. He said he wanted to work for Blank and Rich McKay. He said he wanted one season to see what he could do with Vick.

Things didn’t go as planned. Obviously. Petrino didn’t win. That wasn’t really his fault, given circumstances. But there were so many warning signs about how he handled situations, you wondered how he would function in the NFL environment, even without the extreme issues.

He rarely communicated with his players. He didn’t seek any input from the veterans he inherited — and while it’s certainly his prerogative as a head coach to do as he pleases, constructing such walls is counter-productive for a coach trying to build unity.

Petrino didn’t tell players when they were being benched, or why. Some found out when they got to the stadium on game day. Joey Harrington found out from reporters in a news conference that he might not start at quarterback that week.

Say what you want about Harrington — no professional athlete deserves to be humiliated like that. No man deserves to be treated like that.

Bobby Petrino. Not a man. He is running like a coward.

It has been apparent all season that Petrino and McKay were on different pages in personnel issues (Why make Ovie Mughelli the league’s highest-paid fullback if he’s not going to be used?)

Most of all, he had lost the team. That was never more apparent than in Monday night’s game against New Orleans. Hall walked into the Georgia Dome carrying a sign, and Roddy White wore a T-shirt, both reading, “Free Michael Vick.” Once you got past the vitriol directed toward Hall and White, you had to ask yourself: Would any player have done that if they liked, respected or even feared their coach?

Petrino took exception last week when I asked him about the possibility of leaving the Falcons for a college job (I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, and figured he would wait until after the season).

“My plans are to be here, there’s no question about that,” he said. “I get asked the same question every day, and that’s my plan.”

And now his plan is taking him to Arkansas. At least 13 games covers a full college season.

The Falcons now have one less quitter to worry about.

Good riddance.

Comment

Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
      At this point, nothing these coaches do will ever surprise and I'm not sure why anyone even cares? They use people to get money, and get into the situation that they think is best for them (just like people do in the real world). There's a ton of things that go into this. Petrino stepped into possibly the toughest coaching gig in the NFL. When he signed they had Vick and Schaub (I think, could be wrong), and since that franchise has turned into a sieve.

Petrino has not showed loyalty really at any pahse of his coaching life (famously went behind Tubberville's back), so why is anyone surprised or even talking about this?

He's a coach. Who cares?
      I'd say the only reason it got a response was because, I guess, somehow Petrino signing on at Arkansas solidified the SEC as the best conference? No idea how that works, but to be proud to get a guy like Petrino is pretty funny in my eyes. The guy is slimier than FF's boy Jim Tressel out there in Columbus :laughing:

Anyway, I still don't understand the reason anybody even cares about their conference. The day that I defend or pimp something Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, Michigan State, etc. does will be a cold day in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by bookiekilla View Post
        Rich McKay should be the next one gone from the Falcons...that's his 2nd bad coaching hire and his draft picks haven't really worked out either...

Cry me a river............ Try having Matt Millen run your favorite team:puke:

Comment

Originally posted by NittanyLions94 View Post

Anyway, I still don't understand the reason anybody even cares about their conference. The day that I defend or pimp something Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, Michigan State, etc. does will be a cold day in hell.
          LOL!I do it because it elicits responses such as yours and it is a debateable topic. Dont confuse pimping ones conference to pimping for those within the conference. If the Big 11 was worth a **** you would have something to talk about, but being it is not and has not been for years why would you want to debate the topic LOL!It is about being the best, best player, best team, best coach, best conference all discussion items. For instance, this year the best player, best teams, best coaches, and best conference are all within the same football genre..:laughing: It appears that this may be a point of malcontent for you Nitt.

Comment

As for Petrino, he is a good college coach without a moral compass.....seems these personality types find their way to the coaching ranks. Typically coaches by nature are born into this ilk, it is the nature/nurture of the business the athletes are the same way and as fans we may not like it but it is what it is:beer2:

Comment

Flyers hates EVERYONE whaley...not just the SEC! Bwawawah.........
              White crushed Americans need weird energy - Robert Pollard

Comment

...and HD is his lackey bitch butt boy! :beer2: :beer2:

Comment

Originally posted by BoKnows View Post
                  LOL!I do it because it elicits responses such as yours and it is a debateable topic. Dont confuse pimping ones conference to pimping for those within the conference. If the Big 11 was worth a **** you would have something to talk about, but being it is not and has not been for years why would you want to debate the topic LOL!It is about being the best, best player, best team, best coach, best conference all discussion items. For instance, this year the best player, best teams, best coaches, and best conference are all within the same football genre..:laughing: It appears that this may be a point of malcontent for you Nitt.
                  Or I just don't care about the rest of the teams in the Big 10? Nah, can't be it.....

But hey, Penn State had one helluva good time stomping down the powerful SEC team last year in the Outback Bowl :laughing:

Comment

But hey, Penn State had one helluva good time stomping down the powerful SEC team last year in the Outback Bowl :laughing:

C'mon now you know anytime a Big 11 team beats on a SEC team it is nothing but LUCK!!!:laughing: Just ask my boy Flyers:)BTW unless your playing for all the marbles most teams look at the bowls as a vacation to whatever sweet destination they land...for instance I am sure Colorado is pumped about the trip to Shreveport, and could care less if they win the game. :beer2:
                    Last edited by BoKnows; 12-12-2007, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Bobby P got the hell out of dodge and just in the nick of time! :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by BoKnows View Post
                        C'mon now you know anytime a Big 11 team beats on a SEC team it is nothing but LUCK!!!:laughing: BTW unless your playing for all the marbles most teams look at the bowls as a vacation to whatever sweet destination they land...for instance I am sure Colorado is pumped about the trip to Shreveport, and could care less if they win the game. :beer2:
                        So you're saying the SEC and Big 10 are neck and neck(or at worst 1-2) because the last 2 years they've both produced a participant in the big one?

Comment

So you're saying the SEC and Big 10 are neck and neck(or at worst 1-2) because the last 2 years they've both produced a participant in the big one?
                          Hell no that is not what I am saying, the Big 11 gets to this game every year because they play in the big 11 kinda like the WAC but for some reason they have respect. The SEC should be in the game every year being they produce the best teams with the best athletes, with the best coaches which serves to be a negative as they beat the hell out of each other. The OSU's of the world are a 5 win team at best in the omnipotent SEC.......here fishy fishy...
                          Last edited by BoKnows; 12-12-2007, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rothko View Post
                            ...and HD is his lackey bitch butt boy! :beer2: :beer2:

Great post... coming from a 5th grade dropout, livin' in a small town in the south, trying to further his education, by communicating with the teens on myspace... keep up the great work!
                            :thumbs:
                            Last edited by homedawg; 12-12-2007, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by homedawg View Post
                              Great post... coming from a 5th grade dropout, livin' in a small town in the south, trying to further his education, by communicating with the teens on myspace... keep up the great work!
                              :thumbs:
                              I'll have you to know I graduated high school AND college (despite the 5.5 year lapse to do so lol) and have owned several successful businesses in the last 10 years!

MySpace...now that's funny! LOL!

I guess I could stay online here all day and shamelessly rob PhotoBucket of pics to post here to any relating subject and answer everyone's tech problems like a FCKN GEEK...

But that's what we have you here for, homedawg!

Don't **** with me, bro! I'll break you down like I do FF everyday! LOL! :beer2: :beer2:

Comment

i cant believe he did this but it shows he's a quitter. although he is going to the sec i can see him having a hard time recruiting considering all the negative press he is getting. i know the falcons were bad but he only made it worse. going into the season there werent high expectations at all, they lose their franchise qb, he essentially had a get out of jail free card. he is a liar and a quitter and i hope he loses every game next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X