Friday IN-GAME Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GamblinMan03 View Post
    Skins, you started multiple threads on how the ACC was horrible and overrated as hell. You then went on to claim numerous times how great the Big East was and how much better the Big East is than the ACC.

I am just telling you that from what I heard you say this year about the Big East, that I think you greatly overrated it. Im not talking about what stats or anything there is, I am strictly saying the Big East is overrated because of what your thoughts were on it.

Please point out how the numerous times I claimed how much better the big east was over the ACC without it being a RESPONSE to your attack on the Big east? feel free to quote me.

Here, I will refresh your memory... it went somerthing like this.... I made fun of certain ACC teams losing to miami and nc state.... you and a couple other guys got very offended and started attacking big east teams.... comments that come to mind include "nc state would beat gtown 11 out of 10 times" or something like that... probably got the schools wrong... who knows.... and then I would defend the big east schools....

Please get the facts straight and stop revising history.

Going to bed now, we can continue this later if you want.

No hard feelings though. Hail To The Redskins.

Comment

• Just Interesting

and not on topic...but a thing to think about...

GEORGETOWN AND THE PRINCETON OFFENSE:

Earlier today, Frank noted that no team that runs the Princeton offense has ever won the tournament. Indeed, to the best of my recollection, no team that runs the offense has ever made it beyond the Sweet 16. N.C. State under Herb Sendek made it that far in 2005, before losing to Wisconsin; and Georgetown got there last year, before falling in a close game to eventual champion Florida. Princeton itself hasn't advanced beyond the second round since the tournament expanded to 64 teams in 1985. (West Virginia made it to the Elite Eight in 2005, but, while the Mountaineers' scheme relies on similar principles as the Princeton offense, it isn't, strictly speaking, the Princeton offense.) So, with Georgetown now through to the second round, and with the Hoyas a fashionable pick to win it all this year, it seems as good a time as any to ask Matt--our resident expert on the Princeton offense, since he actually played in it--a question that we'll probably hear frequently during the coming weeks: Will the Princeton offense, on balance, help or hinder Georgetown as it makes its way through the tournament?

My own guess is that, in Georgetown's case, it will help. A major upside of using the offense in the tournament is the element of surprise--it's hard to prepare for, since teams aren't used to guarding against all those backdoor cuts--and Georgetown should benefit from that. But the Hoyas, with their array of offensive weapons, don't suffer from the problem that has doomed other teams that took the Princeton offense into the tournament: the fact that the offense--because it relies so heavily on three-point shooting, at least in its more traditional incarnations--is unusually susceptible to the vagaries of luck. If your team has a cold day from the beyond the arc, you don't have a lot of other options to turn to, and chances are you aren't going to win. The best example of this was the second round contest between Princeton and Michigan State in 1998. That year, Princeton legitimately had one of the best teams in the country (even though the Tigers were only a five seed, on account of their weak strength of schedule). I don't think it's a stretch to say that they had a real shot at making a run to the Final Four. But against Michigan State, they went cold from long range, connecting on just 7 of their 28 three-point tries. And that was enough to doom them.

But this isn't a problem for Georgetown, which runs a more flexible version of the offense than Princeton ever did, and therefore relies a lot less on the three. The Hoyas aren't in the top 100 in the country in the number of three pointers attempted or made, and they rank 98th in three-point percentage. In other words, a bad day from behind the arc won't mean their tournament run is automatically over.

Or at least that's my instinct. I'm curious to hear what Matt thinks, and I also want to ask him another question: If you're Al Skinner, how do you choose to defend Georgetown's version of the Princeton offense on Saturday? Notre Dame managed to take Georgetown out of its offense by playing zone (and thereby minimizing the possibility of backdoor cuts) in the Big East semifinal last week. And the Irish nearly won. Syracuse, the only team to beat Georgetown in the last 17 games, played zone. Is playing zone the best way to defend the Princeton offense?
      Red ink is thicker than blood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skinsfan View Post
        Going to bed now
        Pussy.

GM, you win.

LOL.

Comment

• HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

We will probably continue this tomorrow, because we have been going off and on all March, lol oh well...Fun times, HTTR!
          NCAAF: 50-39-5 (+6.35 units)
          NFL: 36-35-6 (-2.00 units)
          NHL: 4-8-0 (-2.80 units)
          NCAAB: 7-4 (+1.75 units)

Comment

• Originally posted by CuseFan10 View Post
            I knew this post was coming from BB, haha... Let's wait to pass judgment until the next round eh, pal? They played two schizophrenic nightmares, a mid major without it's second best player, and a Big East school without it's second best player. Not exactly quality wins there (and ****ty-nois choked one away). Oh yea, and Wisconsin was losing for 30 minutes to TX AM CC and Ohio State was beastly, good for them.

Conference of Inept Offense and Good Defense is more like it...

My guess is only Ohio State advances.
            Pretty lame argument here Cuse..... If you play 18 games vs. teams with great defense, obviously you ain't going to score much.

Illinois played good enough to win and if it wasn't for some questionable calls at the end, probably would have won....then what would the excuse have been? I did not see a hell of a lot of plays on Mich State, Ill, IU or Purdue on this site. People have underestimated the Big Ten all year....because they dont win on the road. Well It is not easy to win at arenas that are full or nearly full with students vs. teams that play good defense. This is the problem with the Big East....too many off site arenas that are basically empty or have a Pro atmosphere.

Guess I am tired of hearing how ****ty the Big Ten is and now have to hear a bunch of crap from people saying Purdue and Mich State and Indiana won because they played teams missing players or they were stupid or whatever. Wisky came out flat as a pancake for 17 minutes and still almost covered. That says something.

Missouri Valley plays good d too....look what they did last year and this year Creighton almost beat Nevada...... Defense wins....offense is for show.
            Go Boilers!
            thru 2/3

NCAAF ’20 215-187-5 +75.19
            NCAAF ’21 200-169-7 +37.80
            NCAAF '22 239-216-14 +24.41

NFL ’20 128-110-8 +50.21
            NFL ’21 94-102-3 -15.37
            NFL '22 186-165-9 +54.63

NCAAB ’21-22 908-771-42 +196.07
            NCAAB '22-23 510-488-9 -43.13

NHL '20-21 171-154-2 +42.97
            NHL ’21-22 223-241-5 -65.79
            NHL '22-23 153-149-3 -21.97

NBA ’20-21 241-223-7 +11.97
            NBA ’21-22 282-266-6 -1.93
            NBA '22-23 225-246-9 -94.88

Comment

• Originally posted by BoilerBacker View Post
              Pretty lame argument here Cuse..... If you play 18 games vs. teams with great defense, obviously you ain't going to score much.

Illinois played good enough to win and if it wasn't for some questionable calls at the end, probably would have won....then what would the excuse have been? I did not see a hell of a lot of plays on Mich State, Ill, IU or Purdue on this site. People have underestimated the Big Ten all year....because they dont win on the road. Well It is not easy to win at arenas that are full or nearly full with students vs. teams that play good defense. This is the problem with the Big East....too many off site arenas that are basically empty or have a Pro atmosphere.

Guess I am tired of hearing how ****ty the Big Ten is and now have to hear a bunch of crap from people saying Purdue and Mich State and Indiana won because they played teams missing players or they were stupid or whatever. Wisky came out flat as a pancake for 17 minutes and still almost covered. That says something.

Missouri Valley plays good d too....look what they did last year and this year Creighton almost beat Nevada...... Defense wins....offense is for show.
              I agree BB. It really does get old. I have been tired of the homer **** on this site for sometime now. I feel like a can't have a discussion with some people because they wear rose colored glasses for their team or conference. I will always tell it like it is with OSU or the Big10 good and bad. Just don't see that out of a lot of people here. Everyone is too busy trying to posture for their own conference or team like it's some kind of fcking popularity contest. We're here to win money and it would be great to actually get an unbiased opinion from some who follow certain conferences closely instead of the homer play and opinion.
              I am the M'bah a'Flyers Fan !

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyersFan View Post
                I agree BB. It really does get old. I have been tired of the homer **** on this site for sometime now. I feel like a can't have a discussion with some people because they wear rose colored glasses for their team or conference.
                Very evident in this hoops forum. First time I've been in here (because its March obviously), but yeah, wow.

Comment

• thanks for the win USC and Holy-SIU OVER.. NoVA blows... still pretty unhappy about the way the IL game went down... :blackeye:

Finished 17-15 while my opponent went 19-13... stupid Holy Cross couldn't cover....:bang:
                  Overall Records

Each play is to win the # of units posted unless it's a dog then I'm betting that amount.

Comment

• Here's to Big Ten Country having a good show in the tourney so far :cheers: ............GO STATE

Comment

Working...
                    X