New York Giants vs. Philadelphia Eagles Pick
New York Giants (3-7 SU, 4-5-1 ATS) vs. Philadelphia Eagles (4-6 SU, 3-7 ATS)
When: November 25, 2018, 1:00 PM EST
Where: Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia Pennsylvania
BY: Rick Wise
Point Spread: NYG +5.5/PHI -5.5 (-105 when using low margin bookmaker)
Takeaways From Week 11
The Giants put together back-to-back wins for the first time this season after a 38-35 victory over the Tampa Bay Bucs Sunday in a game that also saw the G-Men score over 30 points for just the second time in 42 outings.
Saquon Barkley had himself a day. He rushed for a career-high 142 yards and scored three total touchdowns. Against a banged up and suspect Tamapa defense, Barkley got more touches than he had all season, carrying the ball 27 times for two scores and adding two catches for 10 yards and another touchdown.
Eli Manning is a different quarterback when he actually has time. Against the Bucs he was efficient as all get out, finishing 17-of-18 for 231 yards and 2 touchdowns and a season-high passer rating of 155.8.
Meanwhile, the Eagles got pummeled 48-7 by Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints Sunday for their second consecutive loss, knocking them even farther out of the NFC East playoff picture.
It was a given that Philly was unlikely to slow the NFL’s top scoring offense but the most unexpected stat lines came from the offensive side: 196 total yards and zero first quarter points, marking the eighth time in ten games that the Eagles have been shutout in the first quarter. And here’s another embarrassing stat: the 41-point loss is the worst ever by a defending Super Bowl champion.
Head coach Doug Pederson said he was looking for rookie running back Josh Adams to start carrying the ball more this week and he held true to that plan for a little while, as Adams carried 5 times for 40 yards in the first half. Unfortunately, the Adams experiment was quickly abandoned when the Birds found themselves down 24-7 at the midway point. Adams carried just two times for 13 yards in the second half.
These two teams have one of the longest and storied histories in the game. They’ve played each other 171 times dating all the way back to 1933 and the Giants lead the series 85-84-2. However, the Eagles have had the upper hand as of late, winning 8 of the last 10 going back to 2013.
For the Giants, listed as questionable for Sunday’s game is DE Kerry Wynn (concussion). RB Jonathan Stewart (foot) has been placed on Injury Reserve.
For the Eagles, listed as questionable for Sunday are LB Jordan Hicks (calf), TE Joshua Perkins (knee), CB Jalen Mills (foot), LB Rick Lovato (concussion), CB Rasul Douglas (knee), CB Sidney Jones (hamstring), CB Avonte Maddox (leg).
When the Giants Have the Ball
When these two met back in Week 6, Saquon Barkley went off with 229 total yards from scrimmage, 130 on the ground and 99 receiving. There’s no reason to think that the Giants won’t have similar plans for Sunday, particularly after Saints’ running backs Mark Ingram and Alvin Kamara combined to gash Philly for 211 yards and 3 touchdowns from scrimmage.
When the Eagles Have the Ball
This offense is sinking, and fast. It wasn’t just that they were shut out again in the first quarter, but that they were also blanked in the third and fourth quarters against a New Orleans defense that barely ranks in the middle of the road or near the bottom of the league in every category except run defense. It’s a good thing that the Giants can lay claim to the very same thing. They own the NFL’s 25th-ranked total defense, 22nd-ranked pass defense, 25th-ranked run defense and 25th-ranked scoring defense.
- NY Giants is 6-19 SU in its last 25 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of NY Giants’s last 6 games
- NY Giants is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
- NY Giants is 3-11 SU in its last 14 games on the road
- NY Giants is 6-15 ATS in its last 21 games when playing Philadelphia
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of NY Giants’s last 5 games when playing Philadelphia
- NY Giants is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games when playing on the road against Philadelphia
- NY Giants is 1-5 SU in its last 6 games when playing on the road against Philadelphia
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of NY Giants’s last 8 games when playing on the road against Philadelphia
- Philadelphia is 2-7 ATS in its last 9 games
- Philadelphia is 17-8 SU in its last 25 games
- Philadelphia is 2-5 SU in its last 7 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Philadelphia’s last 6 games
- Philadelphia is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games at home
- Philadelphia is 13-4 SU in its last 17 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Philadelphia’s last 5 games at home
- Philadelphia is 15-6 ATS in its last 21 games when playing NY Giants
- Philadelphia is 8-1 SU in its last 9 games when playing NY Giants
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Philadelphia’s last 5 games when playing NY Giants
- Philadelphia is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games when playing at home against NY Giants
- Philadelphia is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing at home against NY Giants
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Philadelphia’s last 8 games when playing at home against NY Giants
Temperatures of 53 degrees are expected in this one under overcast skies with 82% humidity and 13 mph NW winds.
Rick Wise’s NFL Pick: Philly -5.5