New York Giants vs. Washington Redskins Pick

by | Dec 5, 2018 | nfl

New York Giants (4-8 SU, 6-5-1 ATS) vs. Washington Redskins (6-6 SU, 7-5 ATS)
When: December 09, 2018, 1:00 PM EST
Where: FedEx Field, Landover, Maryland
TV: FOX
BY: Rick Wise

Point Spread: NYG -3.5/WAS +3.5
Over/Under: 41

Takeaways From Week 13

The Giants won just their fourth game of the season with a 30-27 overtime upset of the Chicago Bears on Sunday at MetLife Stadium

Saquon Barkley went off. Barkley piled up 125 yards on 24 carries and set a franchise rookie record with 954 rushing yards. He added another 21 yards on three catches and continues to prove the scouts right. This guy’s the goods.

Linebacker Alec Ogletree was the player most responsible for the win. Ogletree’s first quarter pick-six of a Chase Daniel pass to Tarik Cohen gave the Giants a 7-0 lead two plays after they deferred on the coin toss. Ogletree’s second interception of the game was almost as big. After Kyle Fuller intercepted Eli Manning, the Bears were drove the ball all the way to the New York 23-yard line where Ogletree undercut another Daniel to Cohen pass, saving a sure touchdown.

Meanwhile the Redskins dropped to 6-6 after a 28-13 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles Monday night, putting them in a tie with Philadelphia for second place in the tight NFC East and a dampening their playoff hopes.

Adrian Peterson is ageless. The jouneyman running back rushed for 98 yards on 9 carries, the bulk of which came on a 90-yard touchdown jaunt that defied his 33-year-old legs. The touchdown, the 106th of his career, tied him with Jim Brown for 5th on the all-time rushing list. The run also made Peterson the oldest player to score a touchdown of 90 or more yards. He’s carried the ball sparingly this season, but every once in a while A.P. gives us a flash of the brilliance that once made him the best running back in the league.

The loss all but guarantees that the Redskins won’t make the playoffs for the sixth-straight season. According to the Washington Post, a win against the Eagles would have put their playoff chances at 70%, while the loss drops those chances to 30%.

The Historicals

As NFC East rivals, the Giants and the Redskins have quite a long history. They’ve faced off 173 times dating back to 1932 and the Giants lead the series 100-69-4. The Giants have also had the upper hand of late, winning 6 of the last 10 going back to 2013.

Injury Concerns

For New York, listed as questionable for Sunday’s game are S Landon Collins (shoulder), WR Sterling Shepard (ribs), LB B.J. Goodson (neck), TE Evan Engram (hamstring), LB Lorenzo Carter (hip), LB Tae Davis (ankle).

For Washington, listed as questionable for Sunday’s game are CB Quinton Dubar (shin), WR Jamison Crowder (ankle), DE Matt Ioannidis (shin), G Tony Bergstrom (ankle).

When the Giants have the Ball

As previously stated, the Giants possess two of the league’s most exciting players in Beckham Jr. and Barkley. And win or lose, those two players are going to touch the ball often. Barkley is already on the cusp of a 1,000 yard season with 954 yards rushing and Beckham has already eclipsed the mark with 1,052 receiving yards. The Redskins are pretty stout against the run, ranking 7th but not so good against the pass at a ranking of 27th in the league. Look for both Barkley and Beckham to have big numbers in the passing game.

When the Redskins have the Ball

Colt McCoy is out for the season after going down with a fractured fibula against the Eagles and that leaves Mark Sanchez, who the Skins signed just two weeks ago. Sanchez wasn’t horrible, finishing 13-of-21 for 100 yards and 1 interception but this offense is reeling since losing Alex Smith to injury. It’s a good thing they’ll be up against a Giants defense that ranks in the bottom third of the league against the pass, the run and points allowed.

Betting Trends

  • NY Giants is 4-1-1 ATS in its last 6 games
  • NY Giants is 6-16 SU in its last 22 games
  • NY Giants is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
  • NY Giants is 2-8 SU in its last 10 games on the road
  • The total has gone UNDER in 6 of NY Giants’s last 9 games on the road
  • NY Giants is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games when playing Washington
  • NY Giants is 17-8 SU in its last 25 games when playing Washington
  • NY Giants is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games when playing Washington
  • The total has gone UNDER in 5 of NY Giants’s last 6 games when playing Washington
  • NY Giants is 8-4 SU in its last 12 games when playing on the road against Washington
  • The total has gone UNDER in 5 of NY Giants’s last 6 games when playing on the road against Washington
  • Washington is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games
  • The total has gone UNDER in 11 of Washington’s last 16 games
  • Washington is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games at home
  • Washington is 6-3 SU in its last 9 games at home
  • The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Washington’s last 9 games at home
  • Washington is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games when playing NY Giants
  • Washington is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games when playing NY Giants
  • Washington is 8-17 SU in its last 25 games when playing NY Giants
  • The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Washington’s last 6 games when playing NY Giants
  • Washington is 4-8 SU in its last 12 games when playing at home against NY Giants
  • The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Washington’s last 6 games when playing at home against NY Giants

Weather Report

Cold weather is on tap for this one with gametime temperatures of 34 degrees expected under overcast skies with 54% humidity and 8 mph NE winds.

Rick Wise’s Pick: New York -3.5

TIRED OF YOUR CREDIT CARD NOT WORKING AT SPORTSBOOKS? IT WILL AT BOVADA + GET A 50% BONUS!

NFL Picks