2008 Preakness Stakes Entries, Post Positions and Odds Unlucky 13 for Big Brown?
by Kenneth Strong of Predictem.com
The 2008 Preakness Stakes attracted an unlucky 13 entries on Wednesday including undefeated Kentucky Derby winner Big Brown, who will attempt to nail the second leg of the 2008 Triple Crown. The 133rd running of the $1 million Preakness Stakes-G1 will run as the 12th race on Saturday, May 17, as the jewel of a spectacular weekend card at Pimlico Race Course that includes 16 stakes. Estimated post time for the Preakness on Saturday is 6:15 p.m. EST.
Only one horse from the 2008 Kentucky Derby field that Big Brown dismantled on May 3 will take on the 1-2 favorite in the Preakness, while the remainder of the field will be newcomers to Big Brown’s Triple Crown lair. Arkansas Derby winner Gayego, who finished 17th beaten 36 3/4-lengths in the Kentucky Derby, has been installed as the second choice at 8-1 on the morning line.
Gayego is certainly a better horse than his Kentucky Derby finish indicates, and he does look like the second best horse on paper if he returns to best form, but Big Brown simply looks too good in the Preakness as he continues his quest to become the first Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978. Below follow the 2008 Preakness entries with post positions, morning line odds and jockeys.
2008 Preakness Stakes Entries for Saturday, May 17, 2008
Post Position - Horse - Morning Line Odds - Jockey
1. Macho Again (20-1), Julien Leparoux
2. Tres Borrachos (30-1) Tyler Baze
3. Icabad Crane (30-1) Jeremy Rose
4. Yankee Bravo (15-1) Alex Solis
5. Behindatthebar (10-1) David Flores
6. Racecar Rhapsody (30-1) Robby Albarado
7. Big Brown (1-2) Kent Desormeaux
8. Kentucky Bear (15-1) Jamie Theriot
9. Stevil (30-1) Rafael Bejarano
10. Riley Tucker (30-1) John Velazquez
11. Giant Moon (30-1) Jorge Chavez
12. Gayego (7-1) Mike Smith
13. Hey Byrn (20-1) Charles Lopez