2008 Kentucky Derby Contenders, Odds and Comments
by Kenneth Strong of Predictem.com
– Last updated March 24th.
Below is our current Top 10 list for the 2008 Kentucky Derby. The next few prep races will really show which horses have got what it takes. Remember, we’re also looking for a longshot to wheel to the board in the Kentucky Derby trifecta. The odds reflect our current opinion of each horse. Actual racebook odds may vary significantly.
Horse – Odds – Comments
1. Pyro (4-1) – Has shown good agility and acceleration to win his last two in impressive fashion but we still wonder about his low numbers and the quality of competition he has beat up on.
2. War Pass (7-1) – Former undefeated star flopped in the Tampa Bay Derby after experiencing adversity and being unable to get the lead for the first time. Deserves another chance to prove he’s a good horse.
3. Denis of Cork (12-1) – Undefeated Southwest Stakes winner looks like he could be a good horse but will he have the seasoning to win the Derby?
4. Georgie Boy (15-1) – Overcame a slow pace, minor trouble and his own coordination problems on the stretchout to win the San Felipe, but he did find a way to win and that was impressive.
5. Fierce Wind (18-1) – Showed heart and determination to win the Sam F. Davis. He put away the favorite in that race and turned back two challengers (including recent Tampa Bay Derby winner Big Truck) to win – the most courageous performance on the Kentucky Derby
trail to date.
6. Colonel John (20-1) – Sham win was okay but definitely needs a few more starts to prove his worth.
7. El Gato Malo (20-1) – Wondering if he’ll get the distance but liked his race in the Sham.
8. Big Truck (30-1) – Kept improving to win the Tampa Bay Derby and could still move forward.
9. Gayego (30-1) – Good race on the stretchout in the San Felipe. Lots of room to improve and he might do just that.
10. Visonaire (35-1) – Nice rally to win the Gotham but he still has some work to do on the class raise.
On the Kentucky Derby Fringes
Majestic Warrior (40-1) – Made a decent move in the Louisiana Derby after a wide trip and should move forward off of that race. Top trainer gives him a chance.
Yankee Bravo (50-1) – Followed Pyro in the Louisiana Derby and wasn’t quite up to that one on the class raise. Watch closely for any improvement.