2008 Kentucky Derby Top 10 Contenders, Odds and Comments
by Kenneth Strong of Predictem.com
Last Updated Monday, April 7, 2008
Were giving Colonel John the Kentucky Derby edge right now for overcoming trouble to win the Santa Anita Derby. Big Brown still looks like the class of the speed and Pyro is the horse that will sit just back of the pacesetters. Right now were thinking the California horses might be a cut above the rest, but remember we’re still looking for a longshot to wheel to the board in the Kentucky Derby trifecta. The odds reflect our current opinion of each horse. Sportsbook odds may differ significantly.
Horse – Odds – Comments for 2008 Kentucky Derby Contenders
1. Colonel John (3-1) Overcame trouble in the Santa Anita Derby to win and had to run all the way to the wire down the lane to do it. Looks like hell get the 1 -mile distance on Derby day.
2. Big Brown (4-1) – Huge win in the Florida Derby, an excellent stamina pedigree and room for improvement make him the horse to beat – IF no one can take a round out of him on the final turn.
3. Pyro (4-1) – Has shown good agility and acceleration to win his last two in impressive fashion but we still wonder about his low numbers and the quality of competition he has beat up on.
4. Court Vision (12-1) Loved the way he finished in the Wood Memorial and should be all set for Derby Day now. Will need a fast pace up front.
5. Denis of Cork (15-1) Upset by a longshot speed horse in the Illinois Derby, we cant believe hes that bad. Well see how he trains at Churchill Downs.
6. Tale of Ekati (20-1) Gutted out Wood Memorial win and could improve again.
7. War Pass (20-1) Ran a gutsy race in the Wood memorial and should benefit from that but does he really want a mile and a quarter?
8. Gayego (25-1) – Good race on the stretchout in the San Felipe. Lots of room to improve and he might do just that in the Arkansas Derby the perfect prep race for this horse.
9. Big Truck (30-1) – Kept improving to win the Tampa Bay Derby and could still move forward but were also worried about his class. Fierce Wind looked great defeating him in the Sam F Davis but was later beaten over 40 lengths by Big Brown in the Florida Derby.
10. Visionaire (30-1) – Nice rally to win Gotham but still has some work to do on the class raise.
On the Kentucky Derby Fringes
11. Adriano (35-1) – Lanes End win was decent but still needs a real test of class.
12. Fierce Wind (50-1) Looked great winning the Sam F Davis but was crushed by Big Brown in the Florida Derby. What happened?